Packing Up routine/procedures

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 1stGradeRocks, Aug 28, 2015.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Aug 28, 2015

What are you best tips/procedures for getting students to pack up quickly and quietly?

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 28, 2015

I have no magic wand for this... but packing up goes way more smoothly than arrival. I read aloud when it's time to clean up, and it helps keep conversations from starting.

4. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Sep 4, 2015

I turn out the lights at the same time every day, 2:00, and teach the students that when lights are off their voices should be off..I'll also put on a computer game and let the quietest, stillest students have a go.

5. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Sep 4, 2015

For me, because pack up is right after Daily 5, I have my students meet on the carpet after putting away their center. I read a story while I dismiss students to their mailboxes and to get their backpacks. It works well for me, but I'm in a super unique classroom situation.

6. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Sep 4, 2015

I usually pack my students up after lunch/recess. We come back from lunch at 1:30. I have the children sit at their desks and tell them that they can read a book or complete simple fun (coloring/word search) worksheet.

While doing a quite activity, I call one group at a time to pack up. They check their mailboxes and go to the closet to get their backpack and bring it to their desk.

I also put a timer on and say we only have about 10-15 minutes for everyone to pack-up.

7. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Sep 8, 2015

Depending on how the student seats are grouped (in rows, small grouped clusters or other seating) I usually also put out the lights, get them to put their heads down on their desks and call them a group at a time to get their things. I specify that they are to get everything from their cubby/closet area, including backpacks and coats. then bring everything back to their desk and at that location they are to place everything in their backpacks. If I have any items that need to go home with them (instructions about signing up for things, memos from the office, which I have already sorted into groups) I then hand that material out, in order to be SURE that they place it in their backpacks. Then I separate them into groups depending on whether they ride a bus, walk, are picked up by someone in a car etc. Usually one group leaves the room at a time. And, since I am always a sub, I make SURE they know to give me a high-five when we go out to be dismissed, when they see their "person" they leave with, as I do NOT know all their people and really dread giving a child to someone who is unauthorized for pickup!

Most of the regular teachers do not do it the way I do, and sometimes the students are a little surprised, but when I explain I do it this way because I don't know their "adult person" they are OK with it.

One thing I wish I could "fix" is the times when a little kid is waiting, waiting for their "person" and that person is late (some all the time!). Those poor little kids really get frightened and stressed when no one shows up to get them when all their classmates are leaving!