Packing Up Questions!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, May 1, 2008.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 1, 2008

Hi!

I am moving to the second grade and would love some pack up advice!

While teaching first grade for several years, I had bought a classroom mail station. It had 30 mail "slots" and sat high on a shelf. It was too high for the kids to reach, so my assistant would call children in groups of 10 to receieve their mail ~ and they'd take it and put it in their daily folder and then get their backpacks.

It has it's pros and cons ~ Pros: It's very organized. Cons: The children spend way too much time looking through their papers, smelling their scented stickers that my assistant put on their homework, etc. Then when they go to retrieve their backpacks from the cubbies, it's a traffic jam! Also, I told my current assistant that she can keep the mail center ~ so I'd have to purchase a new one for my new classroom.

I am so blessed to have a full day assistant. I am wondering if it would best to just have my assistant pass out their daily work? We have specials until 15 minutes before dismissal. I or my assistant could pass out the papers?

I send home a "graded work" folder every Wednesday ~ which has their tests/quizzes.

My ideas:

Have the children open their planners so they can color their "behavior calendar" right after specials. Have papers that I/my assistant have checked throughout the day on their folders and the children would have to place them in their folders upon returning from specials, and then get their backpacks?

I'd like to avoid: the kids going through all their papers ~ only because it can make the class late for dismissal!!! I also want to avoid them comparing grades in the weekly graded work folder.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated ~ sorry so long!

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 1, 2008

This is the way we do it at our school for first grade.

We have specials and then just 10 minutes left in the day, really about 7 minutes. Normally before specials, they take out their daily folder (take home folder) and leave it open on their desk. They get their backpacks and hang them on the backs of their chairs on set them neatly on the floor. Since the papers are already sorted, I go around and quickly put them in the folders myself and put a sticker on the behavior chart. We usually don't send home graded papers more than twice a week.

There are some things the kids put in their folders themselves throughout the day like their making words page. Perhaps that would be where you could use the smelling stamps and markers. You or your assistant could stamp them as they are finishing up. That way the kiddos can smell it and be done with it while they are putting it away in their folders.

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 1, 2008

I send graded papers home once a week, and they are all stapled together. I sort them into file folders w/ the kids names on them throughout the week.

5. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

May 1, 2008

I don't know. I have a mail station with slots and my kids do it themselves. I call them by tables and they get their mail, take it to their seat, go get their backpack, then pack their bag. This takes about 5 minutes for a class of 22.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 1, 2008

I was going to suggest this too!