Packing for Europe Must Haves

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Maryhf, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2011

DH and I are taking our 2 boys (18 & 20) to Europe. We will spend time with family in Scandinavia and travel south through Belgium to Normandy, then Le Mans, Paris, maybe the Alps, and then north to Copenhagen. I think I've thought of everything related to weather, etc. but maybe some of you could share your experiences related to packing what is really necessary. I tend to want to pack everything I could possible need.

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 10, 2011

You probably know this already, but I always roll my clothes when I have to pack a lot. It seems like you can fit more that way.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2011

What a fantastic trip!!!

Take a picture, on your cell, of the first page of each passport.

If, somehow, one gets lost, the Embassy will have a much easier time re-issuing one with that picture!

Something else we do whenever we fly: each of us puts one complete outfit, from underwear on out, in someone else's suitcase. (Actually, of course, I do this for everyone.)

That way if, say, my suitcase were to get lost, I would have at least one day's change of clothing.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2011

Alice~I didn't think of taking the pic with my cell! I did make two copies of our passports so my sister will have one and we'll have a copy.

Mary~I'll be watching this thread carefully over the next 4 days. ;)

6. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 10, 2011

An adapter so you can use/charge whatever it may be that you bring (cell phone, hair dryer, etc.).

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2011

These are good ones that many people don't always think about!

8. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 10, 2011

I try to "under pack" when I go somewhere. I always find clothes, gifts, etc. when I travel, and I want to have room to bring these items home. I also make sure all the clothing I bring can mix and match so that I don't need as many pieces to make a new outfit. I also pack one complete but lightweight outfit in my carry-on, just in case luggage is lost.

Also check out the type of electrical adapter you have; some don't work with all appliances (I'm not sure, but it has something to do with voltage).

9. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

MAPS or a GPS. We got lost a few times just wandering around town or trying to find the hotel. It would have been so nice to have a town map or GPS.
    Also...umbrella. We only had one and we needed more!
    Big plastic bags for dirty clothes. Another plastic bag for wet clothes until you have a chance to let them dry.
    A small translator. I was just in Europe and everyone told me that "everyone speaks English there!"...Definitely not true. There were several occasions where I wished I had a small book or translator. I know Cost Plus sells these little books that have hundreds of small pictures. You can just point to the thing you need or are looking for!
    Have fun!

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

Love the passport idea! I will definitely be doing THAT for our trip in August!

We usually take one carry-on per person, but in reality, dh and I share one with our books, snacks, etc, and the extra carry-on is an emergency bag - our toothbrushes, a change of clothes for each person, medicines (if they pass the standards for being included in a carry-on), a hair brush, etc. We started this after nearly missing a connecting flight - we flew from Heathrow to NY, then caught a connection to Baltimore, where our families were living. (we lived in London then). They didn't have enough time to get our luggage on our plane from NY to Baltimore. It took THREE DAYS. We had a 3 month old, no diapers, no formula, no clothing, none of her meds....and we landed on Christmas Day, so it was a pain to find a store open. Now we take an emergency bag on the plane with us, all the time.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2011

Here's some travel tips I wrote down when I was watching a travel TV show, called 3 Sheets:

- Mention Rule 240. If a flight is cancelled, they HAVE to put you on another flilght due to this rule that the airports thinks not many people know about.

- You can email yourself your passport w/ photo too.

- Eat dinner at lunch time to save $.

- It's been said that the best seating on a plane is towards the rear in the last 5 rows of the exit.

- Get travel insurance.

- Join a loyalty club.

- You could even amil luggage in advance to avoid it getting lost.

- Tag luggage so it's distinguishable.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

-Bright tags or straps or suitcases to distinguish them from all the similar bags out there.

-I bring a change of clothes in a bag carry-on.

-Copies of your prescriptions, tickets, passports and i.d..

-Music - earphones

-Nook or Kindle (Nook can also have your music)

-A light shawl to carry on so you don't have to use their blankets - yuck!

-Comfortable shoes - I love the Easy Spirit Traveler series - slip on so easy to get off for inspections or to sleep but super comfortable for long walks

-Make sure your debit card works overseas and and they and your credit card companies know you will be using them out of your home area

-Extra batteries for your electronics and chargers that will work

-Tylenol PM - I can never sleep.

Have fun!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2011

Moleskin and extra socks and underwear, and definitely a change of clothes and the like in your carry-on. A couple of compact clothespins can also be practical: it's amazing what one can handwash. A hair dryer can work very well for drying socks.

You'll want plug adapters, but - depending on what you're taking abroad - you might not need a transformer. Oh, and see if you can rustle up a golf tee: a German two-pin plug works just fine in the lower two prongs of an English three-prong receptacle, and the golf tee lets you push in the top safety prong so the live prongs will seat.

A second pair of well-broken-in shoes.

Hats - can ward off sun or rain - and sunglasses.

I would've hated doing Europe without my Swiss army knife...

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2011

Oh, and a stash of Ziploc bags, which have manymanymany uses.

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 10, 2011

Great reminder about calling your credit card companies to let them know about overseas spending. When in doubt, your bank can put a block on your cards if there is some suspicious activity.
    To the list I would also add Melatonin or Valerian Root for sleep issues.

16. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 10, 2011

Also, don't forget femanine products. I keep a stash in all my luggage.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2011

I think this explains why:

From http://airtravel.about.com/od/travelindustrynews/qt/rule240part1.htm

" It is important to note before delving into the particulars of Rule 240, that Rule 240 was originally established in the United States. Thus Rule 240 will be discussed in regards to US carriers, and not for airlines outside of the United States. ..

It's important to note that Rule 240 was an actual, required rule prior to deregulation of airlines in the United States - deregulation took effect in 1978 - and since then it is no longer compulsory. Although airlines are not required to have a Rule 240...

How has Rule 240 changed? Because Rule 240 deals with cancellations and delays, it is probably the best known of any 'rules' pertaining to the airline industry. What makes defining Rule 240 so troublesome is that since the deregulation of the U.S. airline industry Rule 240 is not a federal requirement. Therefore, if the airline has submitted the rule in their respective contracts (also conditions) of carriage (the ticket is a contractual agreement that an airline and passenger enter regarding the transport of a passenger) then the airline has a Rule 240, but it doesn't have to.

A common misconception is that all airlines are required to have a Rule 240, but they do not. And airlines have different versions of Rule 240, making it even more difficult for passengers to know their rights in the event of a delay or cancellation that has been caused by the airline.

What is considered the airline's fault regarding delays and cancellations?

•mechanical problems
    •late arrival of an aircraft
    •pilots or other crew that are not at the aircraft on the time
    •other factors that are within an airline's control

What details might a Rule 240 include? A Rule 240 may or may not include the following items:
    •meal vouchers
    •confirmation on the airline's next flight or on another airline
    •option to not travel and obtain a refund
    •hotel accommodation
    •ground transportation
    •phone calls "

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 10, 2011

after you pack, put half your clothes back. You will want to wear comfy clothes, so take only what you love to wear. Save the extra room for your overseas purchases.

Clock or watch
    a good book
    some emergency snacks

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2011

These are some great ideas! Some I had thought of months ago but temporarily forgotten and with my trip approaching, I've got to start putting things together. Keep the ideas coming! and THANKS!

20. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Jul 10, 2011

Toilet paper! I was amazed when I went to Europe how many restrooms didn't have any toilet paper :-O. Also remember to call your credit card/debit card companies and tell them that you will be in Europe. I also would get a money belt and keep your passport, credit card and large bills in it and only put little bills in your wallet. Have fun!

21. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 10, 2011

first aid kit with medicine incase someone gets sick so you have familiar medicine.pack your own non liquid snacks and buy bottle waters after sec area for flight...its a long flight.
    extra memory card etc for camera...
    have a great time!!

22. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jul 11, 2011

Regarding medication, when I went to Germany earlier this year on a school tour, we were told to make sure medication was in its original bottle, and also, to bring the description of the chemical composition of the medication. I went online, looked up my med and printed the page to put in my suitcase. Apparently the names of meds might be different in a foreign country, so if you happen to lose your medication and need more, the online page would help them refill it there.

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 11, 2011

I think this is the most important advice :lol: I packed pretty well for our trip to France and Switzerland and wore every single thing I packed except for two shirts. My parents didn't even wear half of what they packed! And we were *really* close to the weight limit on our way back with our extra purchases! Next time we're bringing an empty duffle bag!

Not sure if it's been mentioned but rain gear! We only had one day of rain but it was the day we wanted to go around Luzern so we put on our rain pants, jacket, and umbrellas and went on a walking tour of the town.

24. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

My husband and I just returned from 18 days in Scandinavia, Russia and London. We did just about everything others have said. In one of our carry-ons, we just put our light weight jackets and nothing else, so we had plenty of room to bring back souveniers. I always take a small flashlight, small roll of tape and a few clothespins. Make sure you have your cell phone adjusted for overseas roaming. Instead of taking a whole guide book, I just ran off pages (from the internet) that I thought would be useful. If you are in a hotel with a concierge, use them. Our concierge in London gave us wonderful tips, hints and made all arrangements for even the smallest things. Make sure you know the money conversions for each country. Makes shopping a lot easier. I also buy a bunch of postcards-not to send, but I make notes on the back of whatever I want to remember about that place. Have fun-we did!!

25. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 11, 2011

If the Tylenol PM is in a checked bag, do you need any dr. info???