PA teachers, please help

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Margo, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Margo

Margo Devotee

Mar 31, 2005

My sister-in-law in PA is concerned about what her Kindergarten son is learning this year. I am looking for the PA grade level expectations. I have search the PA DOE website but can't find what I am looking for. Here in Florida we have our Sunshine State Standards which dictate what every child should know at the completion of each grade level. I am sure all states have something similar to this but can't find the ones for PA. Can anyone help? Maybe some of you search guru's can find what I am not able to. ;)

3. AnnK

AnnK Rookie

Mar 31, 2005

When I did my student teaching in PA, I remember having standards, but they were guidelines for what should be completed by various grades. Individual standards from the state were not listed for each level. Here is something that I found, but I doubt it will help you, but maybe it will get you closer.

http://www.pde.state.pa.us/stateboard_ed/cwp/view.asp?A=3&Q=76716

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Mar 31, 2005

Hi Margo,
    If you know what district she's in, perhaps you can check the district website. It looks like the PA standards might be like Missouri's... It lists everything that needs to be completed by 3rd. The individual districts should have a curriculum to fit into that framework.

5. Margo

Margo Devotee

Apr 1, 2005

Thanks Ann - I had found that when I was searching around. The only thing I can find are standards for grades 3, 5, etc. But nothing for the lower grades. Thanks for helping, though.

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Apr 1, 2005

Good idea, Amanda. I will look into that today. I nver thought about individual districts.

7. carolinesmom18

carolinesmom18 Rookie

Apr 2, 2005

Margo - Here in PA, we don't have standards for each grade. We have standards for Grades 3, 5, 8, and 12. These are also the grade levels where the students take the PSSA (the state's achievement test). In grades K-3, everything they learn should be geared to the Grade 3 standards. Things learned in grades 4-5 are geared to the Grade 5 standards. Things learned in grades 6-8 are geared to the grade 8 standarads and things learned in grades 9-12 are geared towards meeting grade 12 standards. Each individual school district probably has some sort of "goals" for each grade. Your sil should probably either talk to her son's teacher or principal and they could probably help her out.

Click here for all of PA's standards.

Good luck!
    Tricia

8. Margo

Margo Devotee

Apr 2, 2005

Thanks for the clarification on your standards. Her son goes to private Catholic school and she was wanting to compare what he was learning to public schools. I checked the Harrisburg School District website (where they live) and found no goals for each grade. I guess she will just have to talk to admin. and get a copy of the curriculum for Kindergarten. Thanks for all the help.