PA job Search

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by green78, Sep 22, 2011.

1. green78

green78 Companion

Sep 22, 2011

I just got approved for my PA Special Ed cert N-12. Now I need to find a job. I live be Allentown. Where is the best place to look for a job?

3. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Sep 22, 2011

Hello, neighbor! I live in the same area that you do. :)

The Lehigh Valley area is absolutely chock full of special ed grads, possibly more so than the rest of the state since we have so many colleges in the area. My suggestion is to have an awesome resume and cover letter and apply for ANY job you are qualified for (including paraprofessional jobs) within at least an hour's drive. Try to get on the sub lists if you can, although I know most districts in our area are no longer accepting any more subs. If you go through the local IUs you might have more luck... and the Allentown SD is always looking for people.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 22, 2011

Pareap and looking at individual school sites. When I was hunting I bookmarked the employment links from every district within a 45 min drive and checked it daily. Most post their jobs on PA Reap but a few will just list on their own site so as to get 200 resumes as opposed to 2000 resumes.

5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 22, 2011

Contrary to ciounoi, Allentown school district is not always looking for people. They just layed off over hundred positions.

If I were you, I would try VA, MD, and DC. Good luck.

I'm from the Lehigh Valley too.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 22, 2011

I went to school in Allentown and lived there after college for a while (how I miss volunteering at WMUH). The glut of colleges in that county do make it rough. Your best bet is probably to go on PA REAP, fill out all the information, and open yourself up to other counties in the state. If you are interested in expanding your search, you may want to find a place to take the PLT Praxis. I was caught off-guard when I moved to Ohio and had to take it in a pinch.

7. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Sep 22, 2011

there's also PAeducator.net. As for where to look, I would honestly say anywhere you would be willing to live. Not very helpful, I know. Check individual district websites on a regular basis. I had a list of probably a 100 or so districts I was checking on a regular basis for openings. It was a pain, but those were the schools I was able to get an interview at, as opposed openings posted on places like paeducator and pareap.

8. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Sep 23, 2011

Clarification - the Allentown SD is always looking for substitutes. It's a good way to gain experience while you look.

9. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Sep 24, 2011

I know it's a tough commute, but you should apply to the Philadelphia SD. I know some of the schools are beyond bad, but that's where I got my start. All I had was a screening interview.