P will leave next year.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, May 23, 2014.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 23, 2014

OK, rumor has it that the P is retiring either in the middle or at the end of next year. In the case of leaving in the middle, it has something to do with using up all his accrued sick leave days and counting them towards retirement..... On that notion, when a new P arrives, could it mean that non-tenured faculty could become replacement targets since a new P would want to bring in his/her own hires? I ask because I will still be non-tenured when this happens.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 24, 2014

That would not happen in my district. Our administration only let's people go for cause.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 24, 2014

It could. That's what happened to a school in my district. The new principal also made life so miserable for some tenured staff that they left teaching outright. But it couldn't be done mid-year.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 24, 2014

I wouldn't really stress about that. Principal changes will happen many times in your career.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2014

:yeahthat:

When I was hired in NC, the P was brand new to my school. She had been a P at another school in the district. She hired 3 teachers that year- and ALL of them were brand new. None of the teachers from her old school 'came with her'. If someone chooses to follow a P around, they are not too bright because Ps can/often do move around a lot.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 24, 2014

This is one of the pro-tenure arguments.

It's possible but unlikely. Either way, you can't do much about it. Keep doing your best work, don't get noticed for bad things. You'll be fine.

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 24, 2014

That's a relief! I won't be worrying too much about it. Ironically, when the HS football head coach resigned from his position, they hired a new coach and he brought his defensive coordinator with him. I guess football coaches are famous for this!

9. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

May 24, 2014

Our principal left a month or two into this school year, and we had an interim principal for the rest of the year. The new principal has been around here and there the last month or so to get things started, but he's not looking to clean house. I was really sad when our original P left because he was someone I couldn't wait to work for/learn from (its my first year), but the new P will be good as well. All the teachers that had been around for a while had seen many Ps come and go, but assured me that it really wouldn't make a big change to our daily life, and I have to tell you, they were right. Try not to worry too much.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 24, 2014

football coaches are also famous for bringing along spouses and other family members. A friend of mine (in another district) had been floating between classrooms for 3-4 years, waiting on her turn to get her own classroom. Finally someone in her department retired and my friend was already setting up her room when the school hired a new football coach. Football coach said he'd take the job if his wife was hired as well and she had to get her own classroom. School happily complied @@

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 24, 2014

I've never heard of anything like that happening around here.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 27, 2014

I wouldn't worry. I haven't heard this happening when it comes to principals. Now because this is TX and football is huge, it happens all the time with head football coaches coming in with staff and their wives and they get hired above everyone else.

13. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 9, 2014

Maybe someone internal would be promoted, and you would already know them?