P has offered me a position...not sure if I should take it. Please advise...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 18, 2014

For the past five years, I've done a great (dare I say outstanding) job at my current school which has earned me favor with the administration.

However, the neighborhood is rough and I wouldn't want to purchase a home or raise children there (two things my husband and I are currently working on)

So I interviewed at a school in a much nicer area where I am interested in purchasing a home. It went well because the P told me she had two other interviews today for another position, but would I be free to come back this evening to sign a contract.

I'm hoping if I share my fears, you all can weigh in to help me decide for sure. My DH wants me to go for it because he hates my current school. My Mom says it's a hard decision and doesn't have much advice.

Fears:

1. At my current school, parents pretty much leave me alone unless I reach out to them. According to a teacher at the new school, the parents can be a bit pushy and overbearing. (Helicopter parents?)

2. The P said due to their school's location, they get a lot of local politicians and important people visiting. (Scary!)

3. It sounds like class sizes might be a little larger (at my current school when we got up to 25 - 27 kids each, the P hired a new teacher. At new school the P said average class size is 25 kids, maybe a few more or a few less depending on enrollment)

4. I am in grad school, so I'm wondering if it's too much on my plate to start a new school where i have to learn a new routine, get used to staff and school culture

5. My classroom would be right across from an annoying teacher I used to work with. (she would be teaching a different grade). She was the type to make sarcastic jokes, hang around my class uninvited and always wanted me to share my stuff (I make a lot of my own worksheets) but she never wanted to share hers.

Aside from that, everything looked pretty good. The bldg is newer, teachers can take turns doing recess duty, there's a reading resource room, two teachers from my old school (that I liked) are transferring there this year.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

My responses below:

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 18, 2014

I agree with kcjo13. None of those reasons would stop me from transferring. It's always scary to start over at a new school. By October, you'll be all settled in.

5. live

live Companion

Jun 18, 2014

Sure, it'll be uncomfortable getting used to a new school, but only for a little while. Those are short-term issues, and it seems that withstanding them will benefit your long-term future.

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 18, 2014

Thank you all for the vote of confidence. It really does come down to fear. Even though I have been to new schools twice, it was extremely scary both times. Not sure why because I did well at both schools (and had even less experience under my belt than I have now).

That's a good point about looking at the bigger picture Live. I want to set up roots in that place and there's a school right there in the neighborhood where my children could attend

7. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 18, 2014

What everyone else said. :)

Moving from a familiar place where you know everyone and the routines and climate of the school can be very scary, but worth it in the long run. Sounds like when you stand back and look at the whole picture, this move is right in line with the future you and DH are looking forward to. ;)

Good luck!

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 18, 2014

I agree. Any outstanding teacher shouldn't have to worry about any of those issues.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 18, 2014

They're interested in you because you are the type of teacher who can handle the type of community culture in which they are situated. Go for it! You'll be great.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2014

I agree with what everyone else has said. Go for it and you will do great!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 18, 2014

Go for it! What a great opportunity.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2014

Ditto what everyone else has said. None of the things you listed should concern you.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2014

I say go for it.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2014

You have given yourself the answer. Long term, this seems like a better fit.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 18, 2014

Move!

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2014

I think if your future plans are to buy a home and you know it will not be in the current area where you work, then I would go for it. I didn't see enough real concerns that make the other school look uninviting. Aside from that, there's always going to be some negatives in any school (and anything in life) since perfection does not exist.

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2014

I would take the new job.

18. Trendy_Teacher

Trendy_Teacher Rookie

Jun 18, 2014

Take the new job. I just quit my job, because it was inconvenient for my family. I didn't even have a new position, I just quit! But I stepped out on faith and God provided me with not one, but three, job offers so I actually had options this time around!

You will be great at the new school! Oh, and stand up to that pushy lady. She will leave you alone once she understands that you won't put up with that kind of behavior. Good Luck!! :)

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 18, 2014

I would go for it, too. I had a new teacher on my team this year (new school, new grade level) who was finishing up grad school. It was a lot of work, but she made it just fine.

Like others have said, it's scary, but it sounds like it would be a good fit for your family. Every job/school has different challenges. I'm sure you'll be great!

20. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 18, 2014

I think you should take it, like everyone else said. Also, I started a grad program the same week I started at my new school at the beginning of this year. I was afraid it would be really hard to do both at one time, but it wasn't a big deal at all. You just have to budget your time wisely.

21. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

Do it!! Please tell us if you chose to go for it :)

22. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 18, 2014

This is reason 9,999 why I keep coming back to A to Z. I feel like you all are honest, give thoughtful answers and don't just tell me what u think I want to hear. Even when your advice/opinions are opposite of what I want to hear/my own opinion, I always appreciate the evidence you all use to back it up.

I'll keep you posted about my decision. I'm freaking out a little right now b/c the P and Grade Level Chair who interviewed me seemed very impressed. My interview lasted about 30 minutes and the way their school is run seemed similar to my current school so not much adjustment there.

However, I'm confused b/c P asked me if I lived close enough to drive back this evening if they wanted me to sign a contract and the Grade Level Chair piped up ''Mrs. Catz lives at (my 10 minutes away address). That's not far''

So I thought that was a good sign and maybe they'd call me today, but so far nothing. :-/ I felt like I knocked it out the park b/c I had an answer for everything and I didn't feel nervous like I did at a previous school where I interviewed last week.

Fingers crossed and prayers up please :)

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2014

Positive thoughts for you!

24. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 19, 2014

I would do it. Better schools almost always mean kids who are more engaged, which will make your job much easier.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2014

Fingers crossed, Em!

26. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 19, 2014

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! I didn't hear from my new district for almost three weeks, even though they said they would make a decision within a week and even though the super told my dad (they don't know each other, it's a long story as to how they made the connection) that they decided to hire me that evening.

Things happen, they get behind, maybe they had to interview the others as a sort of formality thing, etc. I honestly don't think they'd have said that about the contract if they hadn't decided to hire you. ;)

I hope you hear something soon!!!

27. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 19, 2014

Thank you for saying that Bella. I still haven't heard anything today, so I sent the P an e-mail thanking her for the interview and said I had discussed my interview with my husband and I looked forward to hearing from her. I still haven't heard back, but like you said, things get busy and backed up. Worse case scenario if I don't hear back, I won't feel too bad because I have already have a job I am successful at, so at least it's not like the past when I didn't have a position and was desperate. It'll be dissapointing, but what will be will be. :)

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2014

Keep us updated! : )

29. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 20, 2014

I will! Not sure if I'll hear anything today because our county has a 4 day work cycle, so there's no one at school on Fridays. :( i hope I didn't jump the gun here, but she SAID did I live close enough to drive back that evening for an interview and I felt like they liked me because toward the end of the interview it felt like they were trying to sell me on the school (ie: telling me about all the technology, resources, how we get substitutes once a month so we can do all day planning, duty free lunch and recess, great neighborhood, active PTA, etc).

I dunno...but anyway, I'll keep you all updated, hopefully we some good news.

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014

Fingers crossed, Em!

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2014

It's also a busy time for schools so hang in there! They could just be bogged down with a million of things right now.

32. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 16, 2014

UPDATE: A few days after my interview, I reached out and was told by the P that she would make her final decision at the end of the week.

The "end of the week" was almost a month ago and I still hadn't heard anything from her. Just for a sense of closure, I emailed her again this morning and said I was following up about my interview and I assumed the position had been filled.

Literally 1 minute later she emailed back and said she was on vacation and had not made her final decision yet.

I thanked her, but my final decision is made. Even if she does call/email to offer me a position, I won't be taking it.

I don't like her communication style or the fact that she led me on by asking if I could come back and sign a contract that day in addition (I don't think I mentioned this in my OP) to walking me to the available classroom in the primary hallway and introducing me to one of the teachers there.

Soooo....yeah, I'm good. I have in resumes at other schools, but unless something awesome comes along, I'm likely going to do another year at my current school.

33. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

Sounds like a good decision.

In Ohio July 15th is the last date to resign without the possibility that your district will hold your license.

34. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2014

Is the new school still part of your current district? Would your tenure be impacted by a move?