P.E. participation policies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 6, 2015

If you have P.E. in your elementary schools, is it a required class or can a student opt out of it with no real reason (just doesn't want to take P.E.)?

Also, what is your personal opinion on mandatory P.E.?

Our school requires a doctor's note stating that participating in P.E. would be negative for the student's health.

Which leads into my deeper hidden question here: I have yet another oddity this year of a student who has mild asthma but insists she isn't supposed to go to P.E. class. This girl is also something of a manipulator. Her parents are leaving it up to me to enforce the school rule, but also have wondered (politely) why she needs to go to P.E. Girl says her doctor says she can't go, but no one in the family has yet to produce a doctor's note.

I suppose I could technically excuse her from P.E., but I can't think of a good reason to.

Sigh. I'm sorry for all my posts. I have an odd bunch this year.

3. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Oct 6, 2015

You do seem to have such an odd bunch! I'm sorry it's a strange year for you!

As for our PE policy, our PE teachers are pretty flexible and will allow parent notes on occasion- one of my kiddos last year had bronchitis. Even once she was well enough to come back to school exercise would leave her hacking up a lung. A parent note let her sit out for a few days, no big deal. Beyond something like that, though, they would want a Drs. note, especially if it was going to be a daily thing.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2015

PE is required here in the elementary grades. The only way a student would be exempt from PE is if there a doctor's note stating that they could not participate. I have students who are medically fragile that still participate to the best of their ability in the general education PE class though.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 6, 2015

I suppose ours will take parental permission or obvious cases for occasional misses--our doctor note policy is really if they are missing the class long-term.

As is probably obvious, I can't help but feel this student just doesn't want to go to P.E.

And I rather do personally feel P.E. should be mandatory in younger grades.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 6, 2015

I would send her to P.E. class and then it would be the P.E. teacher's call as to what to do with her. If she just sits out from all activities then it is what it is and without a doctor's note she will get it noted on her report card.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2015

I would leave it up to the PE teacher and/or admin to determine whether this student participates in PE.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 6, 2015

That's what I've been doing for the past two weeks (how long this has been going on). So far, it has been graded due to no doctor's note.

Yeah. I think I'll just pass it onto them.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 6, 2015

P.E. is mandated. I haven't ever heard of P.E. being optional for K-5. I think if it is done with sensitivity, it is okay to have P.E. be mandatory.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2015

I don't know of any way to opt out of PE except win a doctor's note. In those cases the student is put into another class or given a less-strenuous option.

I was exempt from certain activities due to heart murmur and enlarged spleen, but I still had to go to PE and did most activities. I could walk the mile run faster than some kids ran it.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2015

Mandatory through grade 9 here. Students are expected to participate to the best of their ability. Students who have an injury or illness can sit out with a parent or doctor's note, but they are in the gym with their class. The gym teacher modifies the program for students with physical disabilities or long-term health concerns.

12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 7, 2015

I think with older grades, different options should be given for P.E. I recall taking dance and weight lifting in high school as I just wasn't interested in the typical P.E. class. Earned the exact same credit. Plus the weight lifting teacher was this old conservative man who treated all the girls like princesses and yelled at the boys.

But in elementary school, where a good P.E. curriculum is teaching some very good basic physical skills, I feel it ought to be mandatory and that the majority of the stuff is appropriate for most kids.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2015

At some point during the year, all of our kids do the following (with some modifications based on age): soccer, basketball, volleyball, badminton (grades 5-8 only), fitness, baseball, active games (variations on tag), dodgeball, dance, track and field events. Our youngest students (grades K-2) focus on movement skills, ball-handling skills, fitness, and active games. With all grades, fair play and safety are emphasized.

14. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2015

Mandated for us (state mandate) for K-12.
    Students with should have a dr. note on file with nurse and PE teacher to be excused from class. They will let things slide for a day or two, but usually the nurse will call if a note is not produced.
    Also no PE = board game at recess. Some of the kids hate this, but if you are too ill to run around in the gym then you are too ill to run around on the playground.