P.E. games for children in wheelchairs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Dixonl, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Dixonl

Dixonl New Member

Nov 10, 2005

Does anyone know any great Physical Education games or sports for children in wheelchairs? Thanks!!

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Nov 10, 2005

Have you tried www.pecentral.org? It's a great site with lots of lessons that has a section on adaptations for students with disabilities.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 12, 2005

It has been years -- but back when I taught Adapted PE I had a few activities. Is everyone in wheelchairs, or just a few students? That is important when deciding on activities. Second info needed -- are the wheelchair participants physically active, or fragile? (Ie -- able to twist and stretch upward? Para? Quad? Clonic? Spastic? Hyperflexive? Etc...)

Let me know, and I'll be glad to share any activities I have.

5. Kevin Steele

Kevin Steele Guest

Jan 28, 2016

I just have 1 student in a wheelchair. He is very athletic. I haven't figured out PE games where he can participate with the rest of the class and everyone gets their level exercise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6. tep

tep Guest

Mar 4, 2016

Hi Kevin- I just joined and saw your question. I have a similar situation. I use an over sized fuzzy tennis ball which is approximately the size of a playground ball. After removing the foot rests, my student is able to slide this ball across the gym floor by holding his feet on either side of it. He is in an electric wheelchair and has almost no leg movement. Only his left ankle moves enough to trap the ball between his feet. This, and wiffle ball off the T, are his favorite games with his limited movement of both arms and legs. He has mostly wrist and ankle motion. We also play volleyball with balloons and beach-balls. We have been having a great year. I hope this helps.:)

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 5, 2016

Maybe the students in wheelchairs could give input as to what games or sports they want to play ... And they might have some suggestions about what kinds of adaptations would work best. Each kid is going to have very individualized wants and needs. Some might want to dig in and get tough. Others might want to referee.