Oy with the centers already

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 31, 2019

Centers. I appreciate them in theory, but they are one of my struggles. The task of creating a meaningful activity that suits the school's philosophy de hour to occupy kids while I work with others is one of my biggest challenges.

Originally this year, we weren't going to do centers due to an arrangement of small groups. However, said arrangement has not been worth the time suck of arranging it when one considers other considerations. So... It's back to an old small group schedule. Which I'm fine with...

Except for centers.

I'm sure I'm overthinking these, but, goodness, why are centers so hard for me?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 1, 2019

I’m also a fan of centers in theory but some groups can handle them and some can’t. The prep time is a whole other problem, too!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 1, 2019

I dislike centers too, but I've gotten used to them. What works for me is to create centers that require nothing to be turned in to me and that do not need to be changed week to week. My centers are open-ended and long term. My goal for centers is simply to keep kids productively occupied while I do my small group instruction.

Mami1Maestra2 and Tired Teacher like this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 3, 2019

Yes, it totally depends on the class make up and student population. I have had many kids who could not move from point A to point B w/out whacking someone, stopping to have a chat w/ some friends about what they did last night, or rummaging through their backpacks to find something of interest. The chaos would make it so hard to teach w/ these types of kids.
    From what I have seen (they wanted us to start doing them too), teachers would be spending 2 hours a night just to prep for the next day. ( Oh, and those 2 hrs are not contract hours either...lol)

Backroads likes this.