Oy! Essay Questions on Applications

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jen12, Jun 1, 2013.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jun 1, 2013

These essay questions are going to make me pull my hair out. How have your past educational experiences prepared you for the job you are seeking? What does teaching mean to you? How will you contribute to the success of your students? What skills and talents do you have that make you an exemplary candidate? What are the challenges of dealing with a multicultural campus and how will you deal with them? What are the qualities of an effective teacher?

Each district has questions just different enough that you have to craft an entire answer. I haven't yet been able to use something I've already written. They're so broad - I mean, I get that they're really testing to see if you can get a coherent thought down on paper, but I think I'd rather have questions about specific problems than these vague theoretical essays they keep asking for.

:dizzy:

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

I applied to a district last year that had 20 questions. 20! I think anyone who answered them all should have automatically gotten a job! I didn't even get an interview :down:

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 1, 2013

That's crazy! I have a theory that schools that do this have too many applicants and they make you jump through hoops to narrow it down to only those hungry enough to do it.

To the OP, I bet if you tweak some things, you can reuse at least parts of your essays. Three of the questions you cited - "How will you contribute to the success of your students?" "What skills and talents do you have that make you an exemplary candidate?" and "What are the qualities of an effective teacher?" would all have responses with similar content.

5. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Jun 2, 2013

I HATE these questions! I had one last year where I had to write a BOOK report! I just started a new one where there are 5 new questions and I can't reused anything I already have :( When I tell people I am applying and I hate these questions, I don't think they understand what I am talking about. I always answer the questions, but i don't want to anymore. I will tell you after 4 years of this I am over it. Do people read them?

6. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 2, 2013

What's funny is I've never gotten an interview for one of those applications that require essay questions. I would consider myself a decent writer (English teacher). I bet they screen them for key words/buzz words that they're looking for.

7. redtop

redtop Companion

Jun 2, 2013

With absolutely zero evidence to go on, I have suspected that these are used at least on the first pass to make sure someone can talk the talk. Some people probably don't reply at all, or do so in a perfunctory way, or obviously betray that they have no idea what they're talking about.

Perhaps later on they evaluate them in greater detail.

I am pretty sure my wife got at least one or two interviews from schools requiring them, but not many.

I do also recall that some schools used the same questions - I think there was something called Applitrack which used the same questions.

8. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

I got a writing prompt during an interview recently that was actually pretty good:

"You have just received an email from a parent. He is upset because he just learned that his son, a senior, has a C average for the third quarter, and he is afraid it will harm his college applications. He claims that you have not communicated to him before now. Write the response that you would give to this parent."

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2013

My school gives writing prompts to candidates when they come for interviews...we have literally HUNDREDS of applications for every opening...no ones going to read thru that many in my district....we do read the ones from our interviewees very closely though!

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2013

I've filled out essay questions for applications before. Most of the districts had 5-10 questions to answer.

I had to answer a writing prompt for my current job. I've never had to do that before. I wrote really fast because I had an interview after it and I didn't want to be late! Luckily writing comes pretty easily to me.

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jun 3, 2013

I filled out three of them for an app over the weekend. I did it on Word so I could play with it, edit and cut and paste for the application. I wrote three beautiful answers, then when I got to the application, it would only allow me six lines for each question. It would have been nice if that info was included before I invested hours of my time. :p

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2013

Save what you wrote...you may be able to use bits on other applications...