OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ku_alum, Jan 1, 2011.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

Anyone watching OWN?

The website reported that my cable provider wasn't airing OWN, but I just stumbled upon it.

I hope to find something of quality.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 1, 2011

I didn't even know this was coming out since I don't have cable (a few people mentioned it in passing). I would have to seek out the shows online but I'm just not that interested to bother.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2011

I'm not, but I will.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2011

I am probably Oprah's number 1 NON fan and I think everything she does revolves around what kind of publicity she can generate for herself. I won't be watching that channel.
    Now all the Oprah lover's can bash me...go ahead and have fun!

6. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 1, 2011

No bashing from me! I totally agree. Sometimes she down right obnoxious and acts like she's taking over the world. Dr. Phil seems to have followed in her footsteps. I haven't watched either in years.

Beth

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

No reason to bash. Not fun to bash.

I disagree, I find value in some of the work Oprah has done, but so what?

8. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jan 1, 2011

I've had it on in the background all day... all of the shows are "feel good" shows, so I think it's great! Even if everything she does is publicity for herself, she helps a lot of people in doing so!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2011

She's got to keep making that money somehow once her show is over!

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

I like Oprah, but I'm really upset that her channel is replacing A&Etv. :/ How will I watch Hoarders, Intervention and The First 48 now?

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

OWN replaced DiscoveryHealth for me.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

KU, I just did a double check... it replaced DiscoveryHealth for me ,too. They just moved my channel lineup (on lots of channels... dang it... I don't need to be this confused on Jan. 1! LOL)

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 1, 2011

I'll have to see if we get it. I do like "behind-the-scenes"-type shows typically.

I think she's done a lot to educate the public on a lot of topics. I still remember a very moving show about grief (a woman's ex killed all of her children, then himself in her house while she was out jogging)-and one on self-defense (an ex-cop was on giving advice on how to listen to your instincts). I think she has pure intentions and worked hard for the success she now enjoys.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2011

Kinder~I agree, and seeing as she came from a poor background, she truly is an inspirational story.

15. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2011

I would like to watch it, but we just got a new satellite provider and I don't think it is included in our package. At least Discovery Health wasn't included. I'll be taking a look around in the channel guide, though.

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 1, 2011

Yes, it took over Discovery Health on my Dish. I will give it a try.

17. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 1, 2011

Ugh...I can't stand her!

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 1, 2011

I don't think you have to like Oprah to appreciate the programming on this channel.

19. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 1, 2011

Right...I don't have to watch or appreciate her behind the scenes of her show...or watch Dr. Phil.
    There are a few shows I do watch that she happens to have on her "network."

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 1, 2011

On Directv, it's channel 279. I've been watching, not bad. It was on when my hubby and I came into the living room (the kids are at grandpa's tonight), and In the Bedroom is on. My hubby is freaking out--these people have some ISSUES!

21. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 1, 2011

I'll check out the channel - if it's included in my current cable package (won't pay extra for it).

But i won't be watching anything with her ON it. I stopped watching her show MANY years ago. What bothered me was her arrogance of.... Ok. She has an "expert" on. An audience member asks a question on the subject that the guest is an expert in...and OPRAH answers the question herself - and then asks the expert, "right?" - so that the expert is only there to tell Oprah how much SHE knows about the subject.

A little of that was enough for a lifetime.

22. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 1, 2011

yeah - just looked for it. It's a premium channel. Guess I won't be watching.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 1, 2011

It replaced Discovery Health for me too, but will Discovery Health be on another channel? I hope so since I watch a couple shows on that channel here & there.

But, yes, I plan on watching OWN if there's shows I like. I'll look on the channel website to see the show schedule.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2011

Outside of the news, I don't watch a whole lot of TV.

I had no idea about this, and won't be watching.

I do try to watch ABCs Monday night line up, and I like Big Bang Theory (though I have yet to catch it on Thursday, and won't this week either.) And I like Top Chef and Project Runway.

But that's pretty much it.

25. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jan 2, 2011

As much as I like Oprah and I think her topics are great, I'm not that crazy about all of the shows on this channel. Some shows are not that unique, like the one about helping declutter. I've seen that type of show already. There is going to be a cooking show but I would rather watch the ones on the cooking channel. I'm not liking the idea either of the show where a workaholic parent gets kinapped by the kids.

I'll give it a try but I'm not sure I'll like it that much.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2011

No, won't be watching.

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 2, 2011

I probably won't be watching, but I don't watch shows like this that are on TV now. It's nothing against Oprah, but there are very few reality-type or documentary shows that I watch, and the ones that I do are usually related to history or science, not cooking, health, or family issues. The exceptions: I watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition (when it's not football season) and I watch Sister Wives. Those types of shows just aren't my thing.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2011

I don't think she she gives the best interview (she does answer the experts' questions, and she she does interrupt too frequently), but I do overall enjoy her show and appreciate her. I don't remember "life without Oprah"...she's been on at four in the afternoon in all of my memory. :)

Based on what she had said about this channel, it is supposed to be quality, thoughtful programming. So I was thinking deeper, perhaps spiritual...not entirely, but primarily. I watched two hours of behind the scenes of the final season and was surprised when I saw the commercial for the "win your own show" program. Regarding behind the scenes, I was surprised when one of the producers who has worked for her for many years was obviously nervous when pitching a show idea to her...he was shaking a bit, his voice was off. And I also got the impression that the producers consider Oprah's reaction more than the millions of viewers at home...this based off the Judds show. Just weird. Of course it's her show and I expect her to have high standards and I expect her to be satisfied, but the dynamics just seemed off. Obviously, though, we are only seeing bits and pieces. Behind the scenes shows always disappoint me...I like to stay in make-believe land! :)

I've only seen a couple hours...I will of course be tuning in throughout the next couple weeks here and there to see the various programs. I don't anticipate liking all the shows...after all, there isn't another channel that I enjoy completely. But I hope there are a couple that I find beneficial. That's what I'm hoping for...more beneficial, less entertaining.

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 2, 2011

Some people that I have talked to convinced me to at least check out the new network's website. I was interested in watching at least one or two shows. However, I noticed they do not offer episodes online like most networks do so that means there is 0% chance I will be watching anything at all. I'm hoping that because it's still new they havn't gotten around to putting full episodes online but she might be too greedy to do so. We'll see.

30. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 2, 2011

Just me, I plan to watch about like what you described. I'll tune in every now and then and see if there's something that catches my attention.

I like Oprah, and even though she can be self-serving, I think she does a lot of good for a lot of people. I also LOVE Dr. Oz, so I hope to see more of him on her network!

31. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 2, 2011

Oprah's show is the same as all other "talk" shows with the supposed "discussion" being heavily biased from start to finish. The experts and/or guests are chosen to support the same side as the host(ess) and any "opposing voices" are there to offer no more than token resistance OR to make the opposing view appear as ignorant and insensitve as possible.

So the audience and viewers really aren't given the option of disagreeing with the experts and/or host(ess), because to do so would obviously be socially and morally unacceptable.

Because of this, I simply don't watch talk shows of any type.

I applaud Oprah for the success she has achieved and the obstacles she has overcome. I agree she has done a lot of good with the power, fame and leverage she has achieved, but I believe she has also pursued personal agendas on her shows as well - just like every other talk show host(ess).

I'm sure her network will have the types of programs her dedicated viewers enjoy watching. However, I'm not in that category, so I doubt I'll be watching the shows if and when we do get her network.

32. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 2, 2011

I remember it was a big deal when someone from the small town I used to live in was going to be on Oprah for an interview... It was a well-known story about a professional hockey player (Sheldon Kennedy) who was molested by his hockey coach when he was a teenager... Oprah interrupted every single time she asked a question... it was extraordinarily frustrating to me.

33. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 2, 2011

Interesting comments.

Do you think people never watched (or quit watching) CNN or TNT or Turner Classic Movie channel because their founder (Ted Turner) was married to Jane Fonda (political activist), supports ObamaCare, and once commented that men should be banned from public office?

TNT keeps cranking out those Law and Order reruns ... Love that show.

CNN is on every now and then, too much talking head for my taste. I get my news from NPR.

34. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 2, 2011

I don't think people are avoiding OWN because of Oprah's political beliefs, but because they find her annoying. That's the impression I'm getting anyway. Why would you watch a television station that mostly features a person you find annoying?

35. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jan 2, 2011

I like Oprah's positive and self improvement topic shows...never watch the celebrity centered shows. I would like to check them out but only use free means of TV so its just a matter of what I find available.

36. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 2, 2011

Aw ... I was just equating dislike with dislike. I suspected there were people that are not a fan of Ted Turner for whatever reason (his political beliefs, his mogul-dom, his choice in spouses, his sometimes goofy comments) ... I just wondered if that dislike transferred to avoiding his programming.

As far as I can tell, Oprah is featured in 2 places: the behind the scenes show and she makes narrative appearances on the Masterclass show (a show that reviews the life of people that have made it to the top: Diane Sawyer, Sidney Poitier, JayZ). I don't see Oprah being a main feature in the programming.

37. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 2, 2011

I think Ana and Kristina's Grocery Bag looks interesting. I like a good cooking show, and I really can't stand Rachel Ray. LOL.

Medical Mysteries looks like it could be good, too. All House-y without the drama (not that I mind the drama of House.)

38. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 2, 2011

I remember an episode back in the early 90's where Oprah actually ended up smearing egg on her face with one of her constant interruptions.

She had the usual stacked panel on the show for that day's topic. During her "discussion", she asked one of her esteemed guests how he would like to see people address the topic. He said "It doesn't matter because even our own people don't know the proper way to address it." Before she thought, Oprah asked the obvious question...

"Well, if your OWN people don't know how to address the issue properly, why do you get upset when others don't know how to address it either?"

She realized almost immediately that, although the question was perfectly legitimate, it also undermined the validity of the complaints her panel members were making about the issue and pointed out they seemed to be expressing outrage solely for the purpose of acting outraged. She quickly cut to a commercial break to give herself time to recover and get the train of empathetic support back on the track.