Overwhelmed!!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by PreKyay, Aug 18, 2009.

1. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Aug 18, 2009

I know I'm not the first, and certainly won't be the last, but I am just a LITTLE BIT overwhelmed right now! :dizzy: Between the new-hire stuff, curriculum, meetings, getting ready for meet the teacher, my room, and family I am about to lose my mind. Plus, my little boy is sick. I'm just venting here, but goodness I am a little worried. I just want to see the kids and get to teaching already! I hope I measure up...I'm very excited, but just so, so nervous! Anyone else feeling like this or have any thoughts on pulling yourself together before sinking?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

Welcome to teaching! Even after all these years I often feel that way at the beginning of the year. You will do fine - one task at a time. My husband always reminds me I am too hard on myself and if I didn't get 100 projects done that is okay - I am the only one who knows. Sometimes I think we have information overload at the beginning of the year. Yes, I always feel better once we actually start with kids and every year gets a little easier. Take care of yourself and have confidence!

4. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

I feel the same way!

I've been on the verge of tears (ok bawling my eyes out) all day and part of last night. My first day is tomorrow and as a new teacher I am OVERWHELMED.

I'm terrified that I don't have enough planned for the day/week and that somehow the kids will know that I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm usually very confident but with this I just can't seem to fake it yet. I think part of my nerves is due to the fact that our school day still isn't quite figured out. We're to sign up for computer time each day but were told on Friday, "let's not do that just yet." So there's 30 min. of my day that I need to plan for this week but keep in mind that I won't have that time sometime in the future. Oh, and I have no idea what computer program we are to use (I don't have a username yet).

Then there's AR, I know I want to incorporate it as 30 min each day into my schedule but... again I can't get into the system and my class hasn't been loaded. So, I'm planning on having D.E.A.R. time tomorrow and explaining that we will not be taking any quizzes this week.

I just feel like everything is going to come crashing down tomorrow.

5. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

Ok, first of all, BREATHE. You WILL survive. Now, last year was my first year, so here's a couple of things I learned:
    1.) Don't be so worried about the planning - you will overplan. Trust me.
    2.) Spend a good portion of the first few days going over your rules, procedures, etc. The students need to become used to how you do things - and it's not as simple as telling them once.
    3.)As far as the pssibility of not having enough, have a few "emergency" plans ready - worksheet if you have an extra five minutes, game you can apply to anything, whatever. It'll make you a little more relaxed, knowing that you have something you can pull out - at any point in the year - to cover you if you have extra time, your lesson got scrapped because of technology issues, whatever. I learned this last year when I had to leave mid-day due to an emergency. I grabbed the dvd, set up the tv, left instructions, and was gone in less than 10 minutes.
    4.) EVERYONE goes through what your going through now. It's normal. So keep your chin up, cry at home if you need to cry, and treat yourself to a nice dinner, glass of wine (not enough to get drunk!), and a bowl of chocolate ice cream. Make sure you have everything in order for the morning, double-check your alarm. Then take a nice bubble bath, curl up with your fav book or movie, and try to get to your happy place! It will be ok. Take it one day at a time, and you will survive!

6. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

Thank you so much!

What you said is exactly what my friends and family have been telling me all day but they're not teachers. It's nice to hear it from someone who has been through it!

7. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

One thing that really helped me out last year (which was my first year) was to have a to- do list every day. I got so overwhelmed with things that didn't really even have to be done immediately so when I finally wrote down to-do lists, it really helped me prioritize and not worry so much about stuff down the road. Plus, it felt so good to look at my list at the end of the day and see all the cross outs! I felt as if I had accomplished something!

Good luck this year! You'll do great!! :)

8. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Aug 23, 2009

You all are amazing! Thanks for the support!

9. lsho

lsho Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

I feel ya!

I'm in much of the same position. Open house tonight to meet a ton of parents which is grinding my nerves. Trying to get the kids to a point I can teach them is overwhelming me. New teacher meetings, curriculum and a bunch of other housekeeping type things. Oy! It is a lot!

So many people here though have said it gets better. So, for both of us, I will keep my fingers crossed! We are on an exciting journey that I know we can get through!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2009

This Thursday and Friday will be the New Teacher Orientation for our school. By Friday afternoon, there will be a LOT of glazed eyes!!

It's a ton of information, and it's designed to reduce to the anxiety that the new teachers all feel already. I think it's a wonderful thing, because it answers a zillion questions that they would otherwise have.

Relax... you WILL get through this. You were hired in a year when there were no jobs. So someone saw something extra in you, something that tells them that you will be a remarkable teacher. Breathe, and just let all that happen.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 24, 2009

I think it's important to know that you don't have to have everything figured out before school starts. You don't even have to have your room entirely finished. The kids love coming in and seeing new things up in the room. Want to have a job chart, but you have more important things to do right now? Introduce it the 3rd week of school.

Last year I was completely overwhelmed like you. The truth is, you'll probably be overwhelmed for most of the year. But this year is already easier for me. It will get better, promise!

12. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

Like she says! The kids never know how overwhelmed you are. Prioritizing is KEY. You don't have to grade everything, you don't have to everything you want to at the beginning of the year and you don't have to be perfect! I'm going into my 3rd year and I still feel overwhelmed - especially the beginning of the year! It will get better (it's really true!) and it's all worth it in the end!

13. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Aug 25, 2009

I'm going through the laughable district orientation and feel like my ship is going to sink once the students arrive.... Compared to the other new teachers - many of whom worked hard through a traditional program, teacher training and years of subbing in some cases - I feel really under prepared. In fact, I seem to ask a lot of questions that seem obvious for the average new teacher with adequate training.

I'm considering approaching my principal and telling her that I don't think that I'm properly prepared and should take the job. I still haven't signed the contract, but school starts next Thursday. I'm starting to get heart palpitations. Ugh.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2009

Try, very hard, to relax!!

Are there any questions we can handle for you?

Please don't quit without even giving it a shot!!!

15. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 25, 2009

I'm going through much of the same and just reading all the responses have helped alot.
    New teacher orientation and trying to remember all the names and when, how and where things go is just crazy. So far my kids have been chatty but other than that not a problem. I teach my first real lesson tomorrow :eek:

16. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 25, 2009

It's very easy to say that everything will work out and to relax (because we've all experience those giant knots in the tummy and the overwhelming feeling that we will fail) but know that once you get over that first week (heck, first day if you need to do baby steps), it really gets much easier. Just know that they hired you for a reason and go in showing that you know what you're doing (even though you have no clue). Best wishes to all!

17. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 26, 2009

Please don't quit! Give teaching - and yourself - a chance!! Everyone is nervous. You probably are asking questions others want to ask, but are too scared to ask! Everyone gets nervous. Everyone gets freaked before their first year. What you're going through is normal! Just take it one day at a time. You should have a mentor fairly soon. If you don't have one by the time school starts, find someone (preferably in your department) whom you feel comfortable with and is approachable. It might be a veteran teacher who pokes their head in that first week just to make sure you're ok...or the vet who has your lunch and you find yourself easily falling into conversation with... Find somebody, ask them if it's okay for you to come to them with questions, at least until you get a mentor. You will find out that, in general, teachers are pretty helpful and supportive. We've all been through it, and we all understand.

I'm not going to pretend first year is easy. It's hard. Even with a great mentor, you will have situations that surprise you, and that you don't know how to handle. You will feel overwhelmed - like you're treading water, and you're head is just barely above the surface. You will stress - sometimes for good reason, sometimes just because you've never had this experience before and don't know what's worth stressing over. HOWEVER, you will survive. You will succeed. You will realize at the end of the year that despite it all, you are glad for the experience. Because you know what to expect in the future. Because the toughest part is behind you. Because you accomplished a lot. Because you did what you want in your heart to do. Because you made a difference in someone's life - even if it's just one kid.
    Over the summer, I had a student contact me about recommending her for volunteer positions. There's no explaining the warm and fuzzy feeling I had that of all her teachers, she chose me. That alone showed me that I wouldn't trade this job for the world, stresses and all. Good luck! Remember: this site will be invaluable for you - for tips, guidance, and support. Don't be afraid to ask for help from us!