Overwhelmed?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by kstar03, Aug 11, 2008.

1. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I have 15 days until my very first day as a teacher and while I'm super excited and so glad to be a teacher, I feel like I'm avoiding it as well. I haven't done any preparation other than visiting my room and buying some supplies. I guess I don't know where to begin. I feel so overwhelmed and unsure.... I'm also part of a three person team so I don't know what has already been planned or what procedures/rules that are already in use. Tonight I started tracing some letters (to make a welcome back sign) and letters for my door but other than I'm lost.... Does anyone else feel this way? What should I do? :eek:

3. msmath

msmath Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

((((HUGS)))) It's normal. In 15 days do you have your students, or is it meetings and stuff? Will you be able to sit down and talk to your team before the students? I would make a very detailed plan for your first day, and even for your first week. Make a speech, word for word of what you want to say. Of course you won't read it or follow it 100%, but it's good to figure out what you want to say and practice it before you go in front of the kiddies. Make your lesson plans for the first week, maybe even the first 2 weeks. Focus on figuring out your class rules, consequences, procedures, expectations, etc.

Imagine how you want your room to be. Make a sketch even. How do you want the student desks? where do you want your desk? What do you want on the walls and bulletin boards? Imagine how you want your class to run. Try to think of every little detail. Harry Wong's book is REALLY helpful!!! You'll be ok!!! Hang in there. Just plan, and prepare and take it one step at a time.

4. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

Thanks msmath.... I guess my biggest fear is doing something the wrong way or being wrong....

My students start back in 15 days but I have orientation and team meetings the three days before they come back. I haven't meet my team yet but I'm hoping to soon so I can start planning.

I know you mentioned to start planning lessons... I got the textbook but I don't know if I need to start somewhere particular or if I should just start with the first short story and go on from there.

My plan is to go in tomorrow and arrange my room... baby steps. And who knows, maybe I'll run into a team member :)

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

I would try and get a phone number for a team member so you can call and set up a meeting. I'm sure they would love to help you out.

6. msmath

msmath Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Did you get a copy of your state standards? Get familiar with them!! Try to divide your curriculum into units. Do you have a pacing calendar (scope and sequence - I think it's called that!)? Become familiar with the curriculum and standards. I don't know if your school wants you to follow things in a certain order. Find out. Do you have a coach or lead teacher you could speak to about these things? baby steps is correct!! it will all fall into place.

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 12, 2008

It's normal and I think just about everyone feels like that!

8. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I know exactly how your are feeling:hugs: I start this Friday with my first training, which is the first of six. The following week I'm expected at my school, and the students start Sept. 2. I still feel in limbo. I'm going to be a middle school RSP teacher, but I don't know what grades I'll be teaching or even what subjects. I was told I may do one math and three language classes, or one language and three math classes. I haven't even seen my room yet. I was told that the Principals start back today, so I'm hoping I have a little more information either today or tomorrow.

Good luck to you!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 12, 2008

I definitely know the feeling! I'm supposed to be doing distance teaching in a team setting, but I didn't hear from HR to start training until this morning. I'm not sure when I'll hear from my team teacher to discuss strategy. Heck, I haven't even signed a contract yet (I'm hoping that's part of training tomorrow).

10. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I am also overwhelmed! My classes start two weeks from today (7th grade math), I only just got my schedule but I STILL don't have a room assignment, I'm only part-time so I may be a floater, so I can't do any room preparation. I'm still trying to figure out good ice-breakers for the first couple of days. And meanwhile I'm watching too much Olympics because I'm so overwhelmed I feel like retreating and doing nothing! Argghh!

11. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 12, 2008

Last year I taught LA, I was hired the week before school started. I had nothing and no tome to prep, no textbooks and no curriculum. I planned on a weekly basis it was a lot of work. If I taught LA this year I was going to revolve everything around the novel we were reading. There are many different activities you can do. This is an amazing sight and has tos of books with activities, tests and so much more.

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/units/units_with_books.htm

12. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

OMG!! I feeling exaclty like that! Luckily I have my sister to vent to! I have about the same days left till i meet my class I am actually kind of nervous about planning and where to start with lesson planning and centers and decorating the ROOM! It is realy hectic stressful but I am taking baby steps as well. I thought of a theme and everything. I need to think about when I will be doing math and the other subjects as well!!

13. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

I think 95% of us first year teachers are feeling that way right now. I mean yes, I've looked over stuff, but do I REALLY have anything ready...umm..NO!
    Even though I'm a little overwhelmed now, it's reassuring to know that it is normal and we're all in that place.

14. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 12, 2008

Thanks everyone...And its so nice to know I'm not the only one!

15. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

This site is amazing!! Thanks for sharing :2up:

16. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

yeah it really is reassuring! Thanks everyone for being so supportive and nice! I love this site! I also when I googled things about teaching Proteacher.com came up So there are also ideas there and helo if you need it. If anyone knows about anything else please share! Thanks so much!

17. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Aug 13, 2008

This is a completely normal feeling! This will be my 2nd year and I Still am nervous about some things!

Think of how YOU want to the room to be run...and start small.

How do you want your class to run in the morning. If you like it very structured then make sure your expectations reflect that.

I agree that you should plan the first 2 weeks detailed...this will eleviate any stress there, since there will be more issues to deal with when the students come (forgotten lunches, lost backpack, etc.)

Try and prepare YOU as much as possible so then you can help the students with their back-to-school jitters!

Good luck and know you always have a support network here! These ladies and gentlemen helped me a TON last year when it was my first. Welcome!

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 13, 2008

Just finished Day One of orientation. I'm exhausted and a little sick from drinking far too much coffee, but at least I'm figuring out how to do my job. Just another four days of orientation, and then we start convocation!

19. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 13, 2008

Catnfiddle, what did you do during orientation? Was it just for new teachers?

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 14, 2008

It was new teachers (and there were a LOT of us) and senior Administration. We're all getting our laptops and other equipment today and will meet our mentor teachers on Friday. My only problem is that I was a last minute addition to training (not sure why they forgot to add me to the schedule) so my ID wasn't put into the online training program. Somehow, I have a feeling that may also mean they forgot to tell my mentor to show up. We'll find out soon enough!