Overwhelmed!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Jen, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Jen

Jen Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I have just been thru 4 days of New Teacher orientation, and I am starting to freak out a little. I have never gotten so much info in such a short amount of time in my life:eek: . Is this normal, is anyone else feeling like this, and how do I cope? Between all the paperwork for my district and my Alt. Cert. program, I wonder if I will even get to see my students, much less teach them. I do have a great mentor program in my dist., in fact I have 4. If there are any 1st year survivors out there, I would love to hear from you. I need COURAGE!!!:(

:love: Jen

3. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Hi Jen,
    I'm in your same situation and I just wanted to say I sympathize! I'm also a brand-new teacher, just went through 4 days of orientation and 1 work day last week, and I agree it is information overload! I just have been telling myself, I won't need all this information immediately; in fact, it might be a long time before I need it someday, so I'm not going to stress about it now. When I do need something that I don't remember how to do, that's what mentors are there for. :) And I know my mentor is going to be awesome with all the odd questions I'll have this year. Have you gotten to know your mentors? I think they will be a lifesaver for both of us.
    So, I can't tell you any survivor stories, just wanted to say you're not alone! Take care.

4. cubanteacher

cubanteacher New Member

Aug 12, 2006

PDP

:confused: I am overwhelmed too.....can sombody help me with the Profesional Development Plan(PDP)?I have no idea how to do it....

5. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Just to ease your mind a bit, I am just beginning my second year. I was overwhelmed completely last year - beyond completely!!!! I feel so much better this year, but i am sure the bubble is going to burst soon. You will get to feeling better by the second semester.

Good luck - it is not just you, it is just the first year!

6. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

It's normal what you're going through. Every new teacher goes through it. Trust me, this will be a year full of changes. You will feel like a completely different person by next year!

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 12, 2006

The district I will be doing my first year of teaching at doesn't have new teacher orintation.
    I hope you have a wonderful year! Don't feel overwhelmed do what you can and go from there!

8. FSUalum

FSUalum Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Cuban Teacher:

PDPs aren't so bad. It probably varies county by county, so I'll give you something general:

What you will want to do is pick three things in which you want to improve. A general rule of thumb can be: school, subject/class, personal...but I only used that the first year or so.

Your school might have a school wide one that you can use that falls under the school's yearly goals--i.e. something for FCAT prep--how each teacher will be implementing something. (We usually have a reading one.) Be sure to ask your department head if the dept. will have one that people can use.

Also, pick some for yourself. Examples: implementing technology (easy), finishing ESOL accredidation, finishing coursework, improving parent communication, etc. Those are all pretty easy to document. At the end of the year, when you go in for your evaluation, you'll have to show what you did to work toward those goals.

Someone in admin, too, should be able to help. They have to approve your goals, and they can probably give suggestions, as well.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 12, 2006

I'm a week into year 14, and I'm always overwhelmed at the beginning of school as well. There are just more things to do than my brain can hold.

I survive by being overly organized and making lots of "to do" lists.

10. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Aug 12, 2006

I'm not a survivor, but I'm in the same boat. Information overload is putting it mildly!! I hope that it gets better soon for all of us!

11. Corgi mom

Corgi mom New Member

Aug 12, 2006

To you first year teachers, I just say hang on. I've taught 27 years total, and every year there seems to be more STUFF at the first of school. You will get it under control and know what to expect.
    Since my assignment stays the same from year to year (last 2), I make ahead at the end of the year some assessments, etc. to have for the first couple of weeks. I teach a remedial reading class for grades 6, 7, and 8. I also, try to have my room walls decorated or have things ready to put up in a hurry as soon as I get a chance
    because I like for the kids to enjoy our classroom. I don't put up a lot; I just use posters, quotes, rules, and positive/negative consequences.

12. Corgi mom

Corgi mom New Member

Aug 12, 2006

Regarding all the paper, I suggest you put all the stuff you have to do or fill out in a bright colored folder/notebook, so you can keep track of it easily. I also use post it notes on the folder to keep me on time. I keep the other info in a gray notebook. Please don't let the feeling of chaos run you off.

13. Mrs.Goble

Mrs.Goble Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I am a survivor getting ready to start her second year of teaching. I was really overwhelmed and to be honest I am this year as well. I am overwhelmed about different things now though.

Just breathe. Set the tone in your classroom and everything will flow from there. I can speak from experience.

This year I am helping the new teachers at my school. I remember being in their shoes. I remember feeling so overwhelmed I wanted to cry.

I didn't study to be a teacher. I studied to be a journalist. The transition for me was very hard, but I survived. I also sit here and proudly tell you that I feel I was successful.

Good Luck! You will be fine, I am sure of it. :)

14. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Every beginning of each school year is information overload as districts want everyone to reinvent the wheel. There are so many demands on us as teachers and we must also teach! We do so much and we get the job done...why? Because we're the types of people who can handle it! College was all about multi-tasking and mentally organizing everything and we did it! The teacher education programs put us through the wringer to see if we are tough enough. If you have that degree, you can do this! Believe!

Get the inservice info organized and make to do lists and check things off as you get to them. Set up your room and a few weeks worth of lesson plans. Get the rosters and grade scales set up and get a stack of loose leaf paper and sharpened pencils. Have some comfortable outfits ready and teach!

Less is more...don't overburden yourself with extra work. Teaching and grade keeping will fill your time.
    We will all be here to offer each other support.
    Best wishes to you!

15. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

take things one at a time and try not to think to much about whats next. i found that if i thought about it too much, i would become too overwhelmed to get anything done. Stay organized, be brave, and you can do it. this will be my second year of teaching as well.

16. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

i am just beginning year two and i hear ya...i was so overwhelmed! I think I survived by asking lots of questions. I had the 4 day training too and I forgot so much of it! Just ask questions and MAKE TO DO LISTS! they helped me so much!!! Also, I learned to laugh alot more when things didn't go as planned. Good luck and keep me posted on how the year goes all you first year teachers---I loved my first year and learned so much about teaching and myself!

P.S. Also, plan on having a little social life for a long time!

17. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Aug 13, 2006

You will get through it!! I was in a Fellowship my first year, designed for first year teachers to get their Master's degrees during what is supposed to be the worst year of teaching. I taught during the day, had homeowrk every night and had classes every Thursday night. We got out of school once a month to go to classes all day on Thursday. On top of this, my PLC turned into a half day out once a month to meet with the district reading teachers. My mentor saved me more than once - use your mentor. Be organized! Make plans as to when you will do what. Do not get tied down to handing back papers the next day - or even two days later. Don't forget to always keep a copy of whatever you are doing in a binder by unit. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it. You only think your students will suffer right now, but the odds are you are the one who will suffer! Take a personal day once a quarter or semester! Don't forget to take care of yourself.

PS - I still want to be a teacher more than anything!:)

Irishteach is right - you are going to learn so much about teaching and about yourself!

18. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 14, 2006

I just finished my first week of teaching and I was overwhelmed at first too, but the first week does give you some relief. Good luck!

19. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Aug 14, 2006

REMEMBER - You will have the excuse, "Opps. I didn't know. I'm new here." This only works for one year, so use it while you can. ;) You'll do great. It ALWAYS works out fine! Best wishes!

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 14, 2006

After your first year, go with, "Oh, I must be thinking of how we did it LAST year." I used that one once last weel. :D

21. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 14, 2006

I felt overwhelmed my first week too! (it was last week :) ) I am finally planned and ready to go for the rest of the week, all I have to do is make my copies. My suggestion is if you get the time get your first week planned and copied... i found out the hard way that the copiers don't always survive the first week of school and was not fully prepared for my first lecture. Maybe you can get more sleep than I did the first week. Good Luck we are not the only one's going through this nor will we be the last!