Overwhelmed with Modifications!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by RMM, Mar 1, 2008.

1. RMM

RMM Rookie

Mar 1, 2008

This is my first year teaching in public school and my first year to teach first grade and I have to say I'm a bit overwhelmed! I have a group of 21 very interesting students, five of which I am now required to make very different individual modifications for and I'm not sure how to do it without losing control of the other 16.

For example, one child with severe behavior problems is supposed to be given a reward of 10 minutes free time for every hour she meets a certain goal. This sounds easy enough, but I know my other students are going to ask for a reward as well and with this child's personality, she won't be subtle with her free time.

Most will understand the explanation that we're trying to help our friend learn how to behave in a classroom, but I have some that question EVERYTHING and will most likely make a fuss about things not being fair.

I'm just not sure how I can structure the day and ensure everyone's needs are met. Any suggestions are appreciated!

- RMM

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 1, 2008

I just tell the kids if they say anything about invidual behavior plans, that it is going to help that student learn.

4. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Mar 1, 2008

Since you have quite a few who are getting modifications, you might as well have a discussion about what constitutes as "fair" in a classroom. (Since it is a sensitive topic, you might want to think the "script" through very carefully before you discuss this with children ) You tell the students that you love them all very much and you are there to help them all learn. And that since children are all very different, sometimes they need different things to help them learn. When a classroom is fair it does not mean that everyone gets exactly the same. Since you are the teacher, you would know what will help each child learn at their best.
    When students complain about one student getting to work outside, or get to work with a volunteer, I usually answer with some form of "The teacher decides, with your parents, what will best help you to learn in our classroom."

It also helps that I try to let every student go out with the volunteer at some point during the year. You might want to find a way to let the whole class earn free time - even though it will not be as often as the other student earns it. Hopefully the students will be so busy trying to earn their own free time that they won't concern themselves that much with the other student's free time.

Where is this student getting her free time? Is it reasonable to say that a student who earns free time must also use it properly, not flaunt, or be noisy about it?

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 1, 2008

Also be careful what your rewards are. You want them to be motivated but if they are too attractive it seems unfair to other students. Last year I made a man out of pipecleaners. The students went wild with wanting one. I made them all one with the stipulation that they take them home and play with them there. One student got one for in class use (ADHD). They were fine with that. It wasn't equal but it was fair on both sides.

6. susimar

susimar Rookie

Mar 18, 2008

This is one of the things I can't understand about behavior modification. Who created the behavior mod?

7. RMM

RMM Rookie

Mar 18, 2008

We have a committe at our school that meets when a teacher feels a student has a learning or behavior problem. The committe then decides on appropriate modifications the teacher should try to implement.

8. susimar

susimar Rookie

Mar 18, 2008

If it doesn't work, can you go back to committee? Do you all have RTIs?

9. susimar

susimar Rookie

Mar 18, 2008

I feel for ya. I have students that need modification, but I can't because they don't have a BMP. Sometimes you wonder why you have to spend time doing so much of THAT instead of TEACHING. Do you have good support?