Overwhelmed with Grading

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by peridotylayne, Sep 11, 2007.

1. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Sep 11, 2007

I have noooo Earthly idea what to grade. I assign homework, but am figuring I won't grade it.. but I don't just want to take tests for grades and classword can't really count as a grade since we do it together :( Plus I have no idea what I should weight and how much I should it should be :help:

any suggestions?

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 11, 2007

I give E's, S's, P's, or N's for homework and add the points (4, 3, 2, or 1) they get from the assignments together to take a homework grade (5% of their overall grade). They remember ESPN. I learned this from Mrs. Renz.

E- Excellent, S- Satisfactory, P- In progress, N- Needs improvement. I do this especially for spelling homework. :) If they spell a few words wrong and so on, the E goes down to a S, P, or N.

I grade everything else and give it to them in a timely fashion so they know their work is going in the book.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2007

Another thing I like to do is have them switch with a partner and grade with a highlighter. I mainly do this with this math fact quiz we have to give them everday. For homework, we grade them in class with highlighters. This way, they also get immediate feedback on how they did. Sometimes, I have them work with a patner and analyze WHY they got a problem wrong. For homework, they get up to 3 points. Tests/quizzes is based on the number of problems. Class work done together is based on completness and accuracy. I like the ESPN! I'll use that!

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 12, 2007

The grading with a highlighter definitely is a nice plan. :) I am going to have students be one another's "teachers" soon and grade with rubrics to determine how students did with answers in reading class.

ESPN is REALLY WORKING. Of course there are those few (which happens annually) that don't turn everything in. However, it lets the kids know exactly what I want to see- and really works with the QUALITY of homework, too. :)

6. LisaM

LisaM Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

I just also wanted to mention, don't feel pressured to grade everything! I know that I did, in the beginning, and then I realized that I would be bogged down by paperwork all the time. So for some things I have the kids do them and look them over, other things they correct themselves, and other things I give definite grades for. I like to use numbers just because then I have a clear understanding of where a child is. Sometimes letter grades get confusing and I just feel that you can't misinterpret a number.

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 12, 2007

I always weight my grading areas. When I taught in a reg. class (participation/ classwork 20%, Tests/ quizes 30%, homework 20%, projects 30%). Classwork - check or check minus (either their doing it or not). Homework - I graded for it being done - not necessarily correct. We checked or own work or traded with a partner. With quizzes, I always had students double check their grader. (you have to be real careful with students grading others). In spelling I had a really neat partner activity weekly where they created an activity (choices included, sentences, crossword, small/tall, missing letters).They switched papers and did the activity and gave it a grade. It was very popular.
    Anyway, I did not grade a lot of worksheets and stuff - that was classwork we did together. I spent most time grading quizzes, tests, and projects. I find it more beneficial to go over work together.

8. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

I grade everything. If, for some reason, the majority of the class does not do well, I will not count a certain assignment. Tests I count as double points. I do allow the kids to redo any assignment and then I will average the two grades.