Overwhelmed with anxiety

Discussion in 'General Education' started by iteachm123, Jul 24, 2007.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

I start back in 2 weeks and I'm already having a hard time falling asleep at night. My mind just races with overwhelming thoughts of all I have to do. I've been in a bad mood and so tired during the day that I'm slipping back into a bit of a depression and that is NOT acceptable because I'm a Mommy to an almost 4 yr. old and a 2 12 yr old, both boys with a tremendous amount of energy. I can't decide if I want a theme for my classroom and I need to rearrange things in my room. My husband has been working so much for the past month that he is home for supper and a few hours later, going to bed. I haven't had any time to get in my classroom or the teacher stores. I'm already taking Celexa for depression and I'm beginning to think that I need a higher dose but I'm pretty sure it's doing it's job. I am just feeling overwhelmed because I can't get anything ready for school. I guess I needed to vent. Thank you for "listening" and taking the time to read this.

3. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Everybody has days like that, don't let it get you down. Can you treat yourself one day? Get a sitter and go shopping for your classroom or take theopportunity to work in your classroom? It might be a treat for your kids to have some time away from you, too. I know my kids used to enjoy some time away. You can always bring a little treat back for them. Quite possibly, it's because you're not in a regular routine with your husband working long hours, and you are feeling the pressure to get things ready for school. Sit down and plan your days. Schedule some time for lesson plans and make lists of what you will need in your room. Is it possible for your husband to stay home one day so you can run your school errrands, or work in your classroom?

Losing sleep at night only makes matters worse. I know what it is like to wake up and have your mind racing a mile a minute. It's awful. Try taking a relaxing bath after you put the kids to bed, and before you go to bed. I don't know if any of these suggestions will help, but keep in mind that we do understand and venting is a good thing!! ;)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

Try and get a sitter 2 days a week, if at all possible. Even if it's just for 4 hours at a time. Schedule a reasonable amount of time to worry and plan for the classroom - say one hour a night. Do what you can, then put it out of your mind until the next time you have scheduled. Allow yourself to enjoy your boys the rest of the time - without feeling guilty.

5. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Thank you to both of you. I appreciate your suggestions. My husband told me that he is going to give me a day to do some teacher shopping and some time to get into my classroom. Unfortunately he works off of a pager so he can't be off the clock until 5:00 p.m M-F unless he is called away to work which happens to be the case now. He is in D.C until tomorrow and he left Sunday. I really need to find a babysitter instead of relying on family so much. It's hard to trust someone because these are my foster sons who have been through so much in their young lives already. Good news-we are adopting them!

6. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Congratulations!! You have been blessed and so have your sons! I have two boys (16 & 20) and even though they are growing up, life hasn't become any less hectic--but I wouldn't trade a minute of my time with them! ENJOY!!! They won't be little for long!

7. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

My boys are a definite gift from God. My husband and I are so blessed that God has chosen us to raise Isaiah and Kayden.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

How wonderful. My children are adopted, too. Although it is hard to leave them, find someone you can trust to leave them with. It is good for them to see you leave and return as promised.

9. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

Very true! And if they aren't used to your school routine in the fall, it will gradually introduce them.

10. reverie

reverie Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I understand how overwhelmed you must feel! Like others have said, take some time to yourself and shop! As far as the classroom decorating goes, you don't need to have it all finished right away. You can leave some wall space blank for student work.

I would keep a notebook if you aren't already with lists about what you need to do and ideas that you have. That could help you prioritize and organize. Then come up with some first day ideas and you'll be well on your way to beginning the year.

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 24, 2007

I totally understand the feeling you are having. Some suggestions:

prioritize your to do list.

What I do each year, as the school year approaches and I am still not completed with my mile-long list is I write my list with priorities then draw a line under the last task I absolutely NEED to do before school starts. Seeing that my need to-do-to-get-by list is pretty short makes me feel a bit better.

Definitely find a way to get away. Everyone needs that! Maybe you can ask the person who is caring for your children when you go back to work(Congratulations, by the way!!) to start taking care of your children for some days starting now or, at least, a few days earlier than originally planned.

Does Celexa also treat anxiety? I know depression and anxiety have a strong co-occurrance factor. Maybe you aren't being treated for anxiety and should be. Read up on GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and other anxiety disorders and see if the symptoms ring a bell. I can tell you from personal experience that, after awhile, having anxiety can seem normal until, all of a sudden it overwhelms you, such as at the start of the year. I am treated for GAD and depression and was shocked when the they diagnosed me with the anxiety part because I thought all my worrying was normal when it was really not and it was driving me nuts and very counterproductive and exhausting.

Best wishes. Update us on what's going on.

12. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 24, 2007

I just love the support in this forum! The encouragement breeds community, and we can ALL use that!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

Good advice, paperheart. When my depression increases, I never really notice it. It creeps up on me.

14. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2007

I have some suggestions that will help you get work done.

1. go without a theme for now, how about you ask your students to vote between 2 or 3 choices and use making stuff for the theme your inital activities when you teach rules and procedures? You kill two birds with one stone and you do less work! Find coloring pages on the thems, have them add to a tree, or a large bulliton board display of anything, this will also give them a sense of ownership and they will less likely to pull down the displays
    2. Outline units you want to do, just the basics, the topics, sample lesson ideas, what standards it hits, etc.....general stuff you can do on the computer
    3. Pick out any books you want to read aloud, write out questions, or other activities you want to use
    4. Learn what foldables are if you don't know yet, plan on which ones you want to use, practice making them with your kids so you know what the pitfalls will be, learn how to give the directions, and keep your kids entertained at the same time.
    5. Get an empty box or two, then "shop" in your house for anthing you want to bring to school, remember to check closets, attics, basements etc for old lamps, a rug, an old chair, bins, anything will do!
    6. plan what your emergency stash of treats in your desk will be, buy them on your next run to the grocery store.

All of this you can do in the next few days and you will feel more prepared......

But first, take a deep breath, and realize you will be fine.

15. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Jul 25, 2007

Perhaps on your first visit to your classroom, you could make lists of what needs to be done. If possible, get a young teenager to come in next time and have her do the more tedious jobs while you do the real teacher stuff.

I did this with my 14 year old neice last year. It worked out great for both of us. Her summer activities were slowing down, so she welcomed a change and I got a ton of work done.

When we finished I rewarded her with some money for school shopping. However, she would have been just a thrilled with lunch out at Wendy's!

By the way, congratulations on your upcoming adoption! :) That is so exciting. The boys are fortunate to have such a conscientious and caring mom. And don't forget to take the time to relax and enjoy them while they're little!

16. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

You are all so wonderful! Thank you for all the suggestions. I will start my to-do list today and take it from there. You are a blessing!

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 25, 2007

Let your boys "help" mommy. For example, if you are making a file folder game, give them a couple of extras (you probably won't use them). When I tell my kids that I need help making something for my class, they get into the helpful mode which is a peaceful mode. It doesn't matter whether you can use their materials or not. It keeps them busy while you are working.

Last year my 8 year old was being a good helper and cutting up things. My 4 year old wanted to help too. He's terrible. I gave him his own shapes and let him cut anyways (they went into the trash later).

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2007

How about bringing a sitter to school with you? You could get your work done, someone would be watching the kids, but they would still know you were nearby.

Or, better yet, I assume you have your child care in place for the fall. Why not break in THAT person, either at school or wherever they'll be, for a few hours at a time?

PS-- We adopted my son at the age of 7 months. It was the best decision we've ever made. Best wishes.