Overwhelmed! VENT

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by EducateElise, Aug 16, 2007.

1. EducateElise

EducateElise Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

This is my first year of teaching. Teachers returned on the 13th to learn we had a classroom shortage and a massive enrollment. Fortunately I was one of the lucky ones to receive a classroom. Decorating has been hell because I keep running out of those blasted bulletin board boarders.

I didn't have enough wall decorations so when I did get more I had to take down some stuff and re-size, re-measure countless times.

My third grade team was supposed to meet this week and collaborate on a lesson plan. It is now Friday. Our kids come back MONDAY and I have no lesson plan so you can guess how my weekend will be spent! (And no I didn't have the benefit of planning over the summer. We didn't receive our grade level assignment until this past Monday)

The clincher: Since I am at a charter school the curriculum is primarily TAKS based. If 98% of my children don't receive COMMENDED performances my contract for the future is in major jeopardy.:(

3. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

First, take a deep breath. :) Worrying about the students' performances before the year has even begun is counter productive. The most important thing to concentrate on right now is your first couple of days with the students. There are a lot of lesson plans out there on the web for you to use if you so wish. As far as collaborative planning - well, that will come in the next couple of weeks. By the sound of it, because of the unexpected jump in enrollment, everyone is feeling stressed.

For now, just worry about the first few days. Get to know your students and use this time for getting to know them and assessing their capabilities and levels. Once you have gotten your breath back, you'll be just fine. Good luck and enjoy your new classroom! :2up:

4. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

This sounds like the perfect week to NOT worry about TAKS and just do what you have always wanted to do with a class. Nobody holds teachers responsible for the standards on the first week. Like the above poster, relax and have a fun week getting to know your class.
    I would go through a ton of procedures too!

5. EducateElise

EducateElise Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

:) Okay thanks so much for the pep talks. My classroom is all done and we have a plan for the first week so everything came together after all! Thanks again