Overwhelmed and just need to talk

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pabef, Mar 31, 2008.

1. pabef

pabef Comrade

Mar 31, 2008

I have posted before about our preschool going from 1/2 day to all day. I had a group of parents that were not happy about that and trying to protest. I thought that it had finally died down, but heard today thet even though all but 2 of these children have signed up for next year, they are still griping amongst themselves. Sending terrible e-mails from what I hear from a parent trying not to get involved. One of the e-mails apparently said that our church was just a big church trying to weed out the little guy. We are doing just the opposite - trying to meet the needs of more parents. Working parents. Anyway, on top of this I am trying to work with the preschool committee to transition from 1/2 day to all day. This is new to us - lunch, naps, more staff etc. I have visited other preschools and gotten some great advice here and from other local directors. I called one local director last week however, and was treated badly. I introduced myself and told her what our preschool was doing. I asked her if she would mind if I stopped by (at her convenience) and looked at her school and asked some questions. She promptly replied, "What do you need to know and what are you looking for?" I explained that I had visited with other directors to get feedback on lunch procedures, teacher schedules, naptime etc. Also to share ideas. She said, "You have a regulations book from the state dept. that tells you all you need to know." I told her that I was aware of that, but just valued another director's input and advice. She told me it depended on what curriculum I wanted to use. When I told her that I had a curriculum in place - did not need that kind of help - she said "Well you have everything you need then." I am so overwhelmed by all that it is taking to do this. I do feel like this is a good ministry and will be even better by going all day and reaching more people. Just needed to vent.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 31, 2008

Vent away!

Just ignore the sour grapes.... some people, if they don't get their way, feel the need to be negative. Ignore it. Nothing you do will please them, so stop trying. It is a waste of energy.

As to the other director, I would just ignore that too. If she sees you as competition, of course she doesn't want to share her "trade secrets" with you. You have been incredibly fortunate to find some other places that have shared -- so stick with what you learned from them.

You have to grow a thicker skin, or you will burnout in this field.

This forum is a great place to vent.

4. pabef

pabef Comrade

Mar 31, 2008

I do need a thicker skin! Thought I had one up until this year. Just never dealt with parents like these!

5. hdb2008

hdb2008 Rookie

Mar 31, 2008

Definitely ignore the other director. Sometimes they don't realize exactly how bad they behave. They have the idea that they are the only center that is needed. Some tend to be unsure of "faith" based programs.

As for your parents--let them complain and make a scene; just know that in the long run--they will realize that they are in the wrong and you are just trying to serve more families like them.

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

You must have a great half day program. Why else would all the gripers return? Sometimes you'll have a group of parents that will gripe about everything. This just might be your year for that. Sometimes people have problems with any change. Let it run off your back.

RainStorm is right about the not so nice Director. New or insecure Directors can feel insecure and view others at competition. She'll mellow out.

I know how stressful setting a new program and a griping mob of parents can be. Take a deep breath and relax. There will be some bumps along the way and you'll probably be making adjustments the first year. You are smart and rescourceful. You are going to have a great all day program!

7. pabef

pabef Comrade

Apr 1, 2008

Thanks for the pep talk!

8. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Apr 1, 2008

Just a thought- at the school I am at (which is fairly large), we have mostly all full day students but there is still a half day option. We have a team of co-teachers who teach it and it is completely separate from the full day care. There are MWF am, MWF pm, TR am and TR pm classes available. If your school is large enough you could consider hiring a teacher for just a half day program.

9. pabef

pabef Comrade

Apr 1, 2008

We have offered these parents the opportunity to come 1/2 day - just can not afford to offer a different tuition rate. Also they do not like the "other" types of children that a full-time program will bring.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 1, 2008

We're full-day, but we offer a reduced rate for half-day kids. Last year, we offered a TR am 3's class, a MWF am 4's class, and a MTWRF pm K-age class (our public school K has been half-day, so this option was mostly used for enrichment). The same teacher taught each of those 3 classes. This year, there wasn't enough interest for separate 1/2 day classes, so they're integrated into our full-day program. Pretty much our curriculum is done between 9 and 12:30 (including lunch) so they're not missing much (or so we tell them).

Out of my 26 kids, I have 4 am only: 1 MTWRF, 1 MWF, and 2 TR.

11. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Apr 1, 2008

"The other" types of children and their families are those who need to be ministered to. Of course, I can tell that you are sensitive to that fact and will be rooting you on! It sounds like you have your community's best interests at heart and I wish you well. If your town is like mine, we are growing, and have a variety of demographics at play here. I'll be praying!:)

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 2, 2008

With the economy as bad as it is, maybe some of the griping is due to finances.

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 2, 2008

Blow off the other director. She is protecting her business and you are her competition.

As for the parents, I am sure it is hard to ignore but you have to try. Those parents need to get over it. This is life and they need to accept it-things change.

Smile..this too shall pass.

Lemon

14. pabef

pabef Comrade

Apr 2, 2008

"With the economy as bad as it is, maybe some of the griping is due to finances. "

I agree, but a couple of these mothers are driving vehicles that cost almost as much as my house. I think they are trying to "keep up with the Jones." They do have a choice if they can not afford to come. They just do not want anyone to know that is the situation.

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 2, 2008

We have the same situation at our school. We've had parents driving Escalades, new Suburbans, and a Jaguar who were receiving Tuition Assistance. :huh:

16. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Apr 2, 2008

I hate when kids or parents make comments like "the others" or "those people." But try to remember that those types of statements just reflect the state of their character.

No matter what you do, some people are going to disagree with you. The higher you are in position (or administration), the more people your decisions will affect, and consequently the more people will disagree with you. Don't let it get to you. Intelligent, well meaning people disagree all the time; it's why we have two major political parties. It doesn't make anyone necessarily right or wrong, just different. Accept that it is a part of life and just do what you feel in your heart is right.

As for the negative director, she is probably just afraid of competition. Forget about her.

Do what is best for the kids.