Oversensitive students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Milsey, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Mar 14, 2015

Are our students too sensitive?

I told a student last week "you should know this by 8th grade." Well, his mom complained that I upset her son. I replied by attaching our state standards and that I am available after school if he needs extra help. No response.

Then earlier in the month, I apparently laughed at a student's answer. I may have, but why go to the principal about it?

I'm tired of teaching concepts only to have students give me blank stares the following day or following week.

3. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Mar 14, 2015

I do not tolerate students laughing at other students' answers in my classroom, so I can certainly see why a parent would be upset over a teacher laughing at their child.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 14, 2015

I had a parent complain about me not being sensitive enough with her delicate little flower once. I don't remember what I did, but it apparently embarrassed Schnookums. I told her that like to laugh and joke around in class but I'd make sure that her son wasn't the butt of my jokes in the future.

Then a month or so later she complained that he was feeling left out and that the other students had a "better relationship" with me.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2015

You definitely need a strong relationship with students before joking with them. I have a good relationship with most of my students and can make light jokes every once in a while. Others, I know cannot be joked with. It's about knowing your students.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2015

I dont believe the OP is joking.:(

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 15, 2015

I agree. But I'm human and apparently I've misjudged a student or two before. No biggie. The world won't end.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 15, 2015

Joking around with students and making fun of their answers are two very different things!

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2015

We had a student cry after cursing in class and being told "I won't have you speaking like a truck driver while in my room." Literally cried to mom and led to a meeting with the principal.

10. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 15, 2015

I am sure you know better than to laugh at a student's response. It's one thing that I do not tolerate in my classroom. I work hard to encourage participation from my students. So, it bothers me a lot when a response gets a laugh because I know how discouraging that can be. I'm sure if it were me as the student, getting laughed at by the teacher would definitely make me keep my mouth shut and not participate in the future.

Don't laugh at your students.

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 15, 2015

or in any other teacher's class in the future.

These types of things tend to influence some students in a way that impacts more than just one class or one teacher. We complain about students not wanting to take academic risks anymore. Hmmm ... wonder why that might be?

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 15, 2015

DO NOT ENGAGE MILSEY. You all know she is a troll by now....fishing for your outrage. Just ignore.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 15, 2015

Agreed.

When I saw that she had posted, I thought to myself, "This is gonna be good (in terms of getting people fired up)!" :dizzy:

Oh, Milsey! :rolleyes:

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 15, 2015

I've never laughed at a students response (if it wasn't meant to be funny), but I am working with a very sensitive student right now. She apparently does not like the pressure of presenting or having her work presented. She has cried multiple times. Once when she was just having her podcast played to the entire class (even though everyone had their podcasts played to the class and hers was probably the BEST one!).

And just last week, when students were doing group presentations. I ask probing questions, and encourage the students to ask probing questions to really get the kids to analyze their work in depth and to receive feedback on their experiments (which they design and communicate themselves). Apparently, this was a bit much for her, and she thought her presentation did not go well (even though it went very well and elicited great discussion!) and she was crying at her seat. I didn't even notice until after class and after I checked the video (I was recording for PD purposes).

I think her specific issue is that she is a perfectionist, and may have a lot of pressure at home to do perfectly (not just well). She also cried when I passed out progress reports and she got a B in history (not my class so I felt less guilty that time).

I think my next course of action is to really push the growth mindset stuff and make sure students know that it's okay to fail or to get critiqued.

15. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 15, 2015

Do you have a guidance counselor? If so, I'd ask the counselor to have a chat with her.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2015

:thumb:

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 15, 2015

Milsey, I missed you girl. You always bring a good chuckle :)

18. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2015

I love trolls! Keep things interesting. :thumb:

19. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 15, 2015

I agree. ;)

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2015

Yes.

What gets me is when their feelings get hurt when you say something to them that they do not want to hear - even if it is the truth - and are ready to call home in the middle of class to tattle and everything. Yet, they want to be disrespectful, curse at us, etc. and act all grown whenever they feel like it. But, when you treat them like they're grown, then you're in trouble.:rolleyes:

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 16, 2015

I've had a student text his mother in class after I reprimanded him. We were doing group work and I didn't notice when she called him immediately. In class. He comes up to me, holding the phone out, telling me his mother wanted to talk to me. I told him to put his phone away and that I wasn't going to talk to anyone - I was teaching class. He hung up and I took his phone. Meanwhile she was calling the principal because I refused to talk to her. @@

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 16, 2015

I rolled my eyes so far in the back of my head they almost didn't come back down :lol: I don't agree with poking fun at a kid but good grief, some are way oversensitive. And maybe it's not even that. Maybe it comes from them being told THEY are always right and the teacher is always wrong.

23. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2015

The hard part is there are always students that are trying to make you (class clown) laugh and sometimes they hit it just right and laugh. Sometimes kids come out with something (not on purpose) that is hilarious. For example: Years ago we were playing 20 questions on rainy day PE. I had this kid up there with me (brilliant but never talked much) his secret word was toilet. A kid asked "can you make music on it" we looked at each other and died right there. He was 10 or 11. But back to the point NEVER LAUGH at a kid for effort mistakes or whatever because it is devastating ..........

24. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2015

Milsey has been a member for years, I am doubtful an actual troll would be as dedicated to this site.