Overseas meeting

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sdpr6568, May 15, 2021.

1. sdpr6568

sdpr6568 New Member

May 15, 2021

I live in the US and in March, wrote to a Montessori school principal in Eastern Europe asking if he had any vacancies. He said he’d like to hire me to teach English and history from the fall, but first I have to visit the school before the end of this academic year (mid-June). I wouldn’t be teaching during the visit, just getting acquainted with the place.

Since March, I’ve been tutoring his son in English, one hour a week, on Zoom. At my request, I’m not being paid.

While the visit would be a reasonable request if I lived an hour away, it seems exaggerated to make me pay over $1000 on plane tickets and other expenses, spend 24 hours flying, 12 hours on trains, deal with jet lag, covid restrictions and the like — just so I can have a friendly chat for a couple of hours and step into a few classrooms. Surely today’s technologies permit more convenient solutions.

So: should I go ahead with this, or insist on another approach? Thanks.

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 16, 2021

If you’d be teaching there in the fall anyway, could you just move a couple months early? Or would you be teaching remotely from the US? It does seem silly to make a short trip just to see the school but if you’re going to be there again in a few months anyway... just go early and stay. It would give you time to get acquainted with the area and where you’d be living.

4. sdpr6568

sdpr6568 New Member

May 16, 2021

I’d be living there and yeah, spending the summer in the area is something I’ve considered.