Overnight Stay @ Labor & Delivery

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 9, 2010

On Monday at work while reading aloud to the class my eyes starting jumping ALL over the place and they were so blurry. When I stood up I felt very dizzy and lightheaded. The vision was bad for almost 45 minutes. I called my OB and they said to come right in.

The OB was concerned with my ankle swelling and my blood pressure so he put me on a 24-hour urine (sorry if TMI) to monitor my proteins.

The next day, Tuesday, vision was worse than ever. My husband called OB and off to the hospital we went.

We spent the night in Labor and Delivery. I must say, nurses are some of the most amazing people I have met. They were very kind to us and answered all of our "first time parents" questions.

Long story shortened: As of now, I do NOT have preeclampsia, but will go back to OB Monday to retest for proteins and blood pressure. They sent me home late yesterday with orders to stay on bedrest and keep up my gestational diabetes diet and de-stress, etc. I can return to work on Monday.

What a terrible time to be off work for a week -- This is a crazy time of year with holiday shows, parties, etc. I am trying really hard to destress and not worry about work, the sub, the kids and if the parents are upset..

Please keep loveable baby Liam in your prayers!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 9, 2010

You are in my thoughts. Take good care of yourself, and do what the doctor says.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 9, 2010

Take care!

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 9, 2010

Gotta love those stays...a few of us here have had many...some more than others.

When are you due?

I know it's stressful time of year...but do what's best for Liam ( love that name!)

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 9, 2010

Something very similar happened to me when I was pregnant (23 years ago!)--my doctor said I had just pushed myself too hard and to rest for the remainder of the day; I did and felt better. It happened a couple of more times over the years, and I finally found out from my eye doctor that those incidents are ocular migraines. I've had them with and without an accompanying headache. A common symptom (for me) was a "puckering" in the middle of my field of vision.

7. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 9, 2010

Take care of you and the baby! I was just reading in a pregnancy book how blurred vision is extremely serious, even if you're not pregnant, it's always a serious issue but moreso when you are.

I'm putting myself on "house rest" as I had some symptoms I didn't think were that serious and I called the doc this weekend just to let them know and they told me to come in ASAP. They couldn't explain the pressure and things I felt, but I'm taking it extremely extremely easy for the remainder of the pregnancy.

Take care and yes I agree nurses are great!

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 10, 2010

I wish you well, and Liam is one of the best names ever :) Levi and Liam are my favorite boy's names!!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2010

Take it VERY easy this weekend, see if you can get things to calm down.

And I agree: all the nurses I've ever met have been incredibly compassionate people!!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2010

Take the best care of yourself and baby Liam. Try not to worry about school or the holidays or anything else--sometimes easier said than done, I know. Your health and the health of your little one are the only important things right now.

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2010

How scary for you! The holiday will come and go - whether your house is spotless or the fancy cookies are baked. Do relax and take care of Liam (and yourself). Best wishes to you all.

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 10, 2010

Sending you and Liam my prayers, hugs and good wishes. Follow doctors orders and take it easy :)

Watch some Holiday TV or movies. And your students and parents will also want you to do what's best for you and Liam.

13. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 10, 2010

Take it easy, don't worry about school, easier said than done I know, but just focus on you and baby.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2010

Take it easy ... Prayers for You & Liam.

15. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2010

How are you feeling this morning? Try not to worry about your students; they'll be fine. Focus on your own little one!

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 10, 2010

Hugs and prayers Starista. Take it easy this weekend, and don't stress about your students. They'll be okay.

17. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 10, 2010

Good Morning,

I am feeling good this morning, but certainly "tired" of being in the bed or on the couch.

I am beyond blessed that my mother, who is a retired teacher, is subbing for me all week. Incidentally, 3rd was the very first grade she taught but spent most of her years in 4th. The kids know her from when she'd visit and like her a lot. Today is her 65th bday and I am sending my husband by with donuts at 1 PM to celebrate with the class!

It is very easier said than done to worry about work. A holiday party has been planned by a parent (who was just trying to help) that involves the kids buying a gift of $10 (yikes) for a child and them doing a "Yankee Swap" game... Which is something I do not agree with on so many levels. And I know her heart was in the right place, but as I am needing to avoid stress... I am unsure how to handle this so I am will phone my P later. :love:

Baby Liam is kicking like crazy. As the nurses said jokingly "He's doing better than Mama!" I plan to spend the weekend working on relaxation techniques for sure.

Baby will be 30 weeks on Monday and he needs to bake for a long time still. Luckily at the hospital there were no signs of contractions which is a very good thing. :)

Thank you again for all of your help, prayers, and well-wishes.

18. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 10, 2010

That is wonderful Starista that your mom can cover for you! Now you can really relax and know your class is in good hands. Now put on the tv and watch some Christmas movies, or address Christmas cards if you send any and enjoy the kick of your baby.
    :) sending hugs.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2010

Glad everything is better. Take care of yourself and baby Liam. I love that name too!

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2010

Hugs, Star. How wonderful that your mother can cover for you. Relax. The class will be fine. You and the baby are the most important people right now.

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2010

You and Liam are in my thoughts.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 10, 2010

Starista, have you contacted sidelines yet? If you don't have a buddy, please get one. I've been through three high risk pregnancies, including one where I gave birth at 26 weeks. If it weren't for the ladies at Sidelines, I wouldn't have survived (emotionally anyway).

Their website is www.sidelines.org . PLEASE contact them. They're a fantastic resource!

23. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 11, 2010

To make matters more FUN -- my admin asked me on Monday to check w/ my OB about the fact that they're tarring our building's roof all next week -- if it's safe for me.

OB just got back to me annnnd unless the classroom is extremely well ventilated I can't be in it!

I feel like such a pain and burden to my admin... I bet they're as anxious as I am for Liam to come.

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 11, 2010

If you were a pain to the admin, they wouldn't have mentioned the tarring. You've got a great admin that cares about you. That's a good thing :).

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2010

Right now your precious baby Liam comes first. Even if you have to go on maternity leave early, you have years ahead of you for a teaching career. Your children will be fine with a sub (it's sometimes hard for us to give up control of our class to another person) Take these next few months to stay home and bond with your child.

26. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 11, 2010

:yeahthat: I couldn't have said it better. You, Liam, and your husband are in my prayers. God is amazing and will work wonders to have him arrive safely. The more people tell you to not stress or worry about work, the harder it is. The good thing is that they will be out of school soon, and you won't have to worry. Do you have a webcam? Maybe your mom (the sub) can create a Skype account, so you can talk to your class. That would put you at ease, especially if you can't be in class.

God bless you!

27. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 11, 2010

^^That's a good idea.

30 weeks, you are almost there!

Your story is amazing to me.

28. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 12, 2010

How are you feeling today Starista?

29. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 12, 2010

Alright... I'm supposed to go to the holiday show at 12 today.

The room parent who was just trying to help emailed all the parents in my room about the holiday party -- did not get it approved by me or anyone and is asking for $5 for pizza and a $10 gift for a "yankee swap" gift exchange.

I don't care about the pizza so much but I do not like the idea of the swap at all - feelings will get hurt not to mention that is asking a LOT of money for many of my kids...

So I have to resolvethat tomorrow. Already stressed :(

30. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 12, 2010

Oh that is too bad. I am sure this parent thought it was ok, but darn it by third grade she/he should know permission is needed. Don't stress! After you talk to this parent, could you re-email saying it was misunderstood and should be a --$gift? Or have the parent re-email.
    Enjoy the holiday show!

31. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 12, 2010

I would just email the parents and tell them that you have changed the plans for the party. There may be families who cannot afford to send in 15$. When my three children were all in elementary school, if I had to send 45$ to cover parties for them, I could not have done it and I would have had to keep them home. I never ask for money when I do class parties. I tell the families that they may send in treats if they would like. Occasionally we have a parent who volunteers to provide pizza, and that is nice when it happens.
    whatever you decide to do, the children in your class will have fun just because a party is a change of pace.

32. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 12, 2010

Just a quick thank you for all of your support and help. :)

Tomorrow is my first day back... and I will see the OB at 4:30 to recheck blood pressure and proteins. Wish me luck!

33. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2010

Good luck, Starista!

34. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 13, 2010

Good Luck! Have a good day.

35. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 14, 2010

Hey Everyone!

Great news: The OB appointment yesterday was GREAT! Blood pressure was down! Baby's heart and movement was right on track for 30 weeks and he's already in the "head down" position! YAHOO!

The only slightly upsetting news is that my OB does not want me to go to Disney with the family this Christmas. It's just a 3 hour drive, but he wants me to stay put as I will be 32 weeks then. :)

Thanks for all the wonderful PRAYERS.

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2010

Glad that everything is okay. I know it's disappointing, but Disney will still be there. (I'll be there between Christmas and Boxing Day and will enjoy it a bit for you.)

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2010

I'm so glad everything is OK.

And just think: the next time you go to Disney, it will be with Liam!

38. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 14, 2010

Great news! I agree, Disney will be waiting for you and Liam when you are ready.

39. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 14, 2010

I'm so glad you and Liam are okay. (My daughter's friend has a baby named Liam and I love the name.) Stay home and rest over the holidays. Disney is a huge effort - even for somebody not pregnant.

40. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2010

If I were your doc...I wouln't want you at Disney at Xmas time either...it's a ZOO!!!! I remember that from about 14 yrs ago & when I was younger... I can only imagine that it has gotten worse!!! No one there knows how to cover their mouth or nose when they cough!!!! I wouldn't want you to get sick!!! Trust me we were there not long ago & one lil one had to go to a urgent care while we were there & the rest of us are battlling our "Disney" colds now!!!

Enjoy your Xmas & like the others next time it will be even more magical when Liam is a little older!!!

Glad to hear you & Liam are doing well though!!!

41. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 14, 2010

Disney can wait, even if it's disappointing to not be able to go. A friend of mine came home from Disney with the chicken pox a couple of years ago. It was bad. He and his siblings, and his mother, all got it. My friend was in his early 40's at the time, so you can imagine how bad it got for him, and it was worse for his mother. You don't need all that stress.