Overhead transparency solutions?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by astewart, Nov 7, 2006.

1. astewart

astewart Rookie

Nov 7, 2006

I'm an eighth grade science teacher and use the overhead projector in all my classes, since we don't have our own rooms. I'm sick of using overheads that don't come all the way clean (the Vis-A-Vis markers leave shadows), and I'm looking for an alternative to transparencies. Sometimes we use it for just taking notes, and sometimes we're filling out a worksheet on the overhead.

Do you have any suggestions on something (cheap and reusable) to use other than transparencies, and what kind of markers (Vis-A-Vis or Expo) do you use on them? I've heard about clear dry erase boards, but haven't been able to find those.

Help is appreciated! :)

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 7, 2006

Buy a box of write-on transparencies that do not go in the copy machine and use those over your printed transparencies. The write-on transparencies do come clean, and you won't have to clean your lesson transparencies between classes.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 7, 2006

I have a thin sheet of acrylic that I put over my transparencies. I like it because it is hard and doesn't slide around. I also use them for group work, and then it can be displayed on the overhead. I think they are from a company called Magic Slate.

5. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Nov 7, 2006

This is exactly what I do. Works great!!

6. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Nov 8, 2006

I have used page protectors. Just slide in the transpariencies and write on the page protector, then you can just wipe off and the transpariencies are clean to keep.

7. srh

srh Devotee

Nov 8, 2006

HAHA! Have to pass this on. One of our new teachers (hope she's not reading!) unknowingly tried to use a "write on" transparency this morning in the copier. OOPS. It melted into a glob. Apparently it didn't damage the machine, because it was used all day, but that's too close for comfort! Lesson learned: READ THE BOX BEFORE YOU GO TO MAKE A COPY!! :-D

On another note, there are transparency "covers" (can't remember what they're actually called) that are really great for storing AND displaying transparencies. In my former career where I did a lot of training, I had a couple of hundred of them in a binder--the covers are holepunched and can be labeled around the edges. They're a good investment if you have a lot of "want to keep" transparencies.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Nov 9, 2006

I did this last year!! It was soooooo bad! Totally jammed the copier, and my principal looked at what it was of and was able to figure out that it had been me - I was given a stern talking to about never doing that again! It was more embarassing than anything!

9. astewart

astewart Rookie

Nov 9, 2006

Eeek about the write-on transparencies going through the copier!

I've been using write-on transparencies with wet erase Vis-A-Vis markers, and they still leave a shadow (for some reason, it's typically pink, even with the black marker) after cleaning them with a wet cloth. Not to mention the mess on your hands afterwards.

If you write on the page protector, do you just use Vis-A-Vis (wet erase) or Expo (dry erase) markers?

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2006

I use page protectors for mine. I use wax pencils instead of overhead pens. I'm allergic to the pens!

11. IPinPa

IPinPa Rookie

Nov 9, 2006

in a pinch nail polish remover works well on the transparencies, but it starts to stink:)

12. darzie

darzie Companion

Nov 10, 2006

Wax pencils?? How does that work on the transparencies? As well as the wet erase markers?

13. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 11, 2006

great idea, just make sure you get ones that arent cheap enough to melt on the projector.

Also you can clean the transpariencies with a 50/50 sloution of alcohol, and water.

Mr. Skinner :D

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2006

Wax pencils work great! They're what everyone used back before the wet erase pencils. They take a bit more elbow grease to wipe away, but they're not bad.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 11, 2006

16. darzie

darzie Companion

Nov 11, 2006

are these permanent markers?? can you use the transparency again? how do you clean them off? are they as clear? (full of questions)!

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 12, 2006

They are water based markers that erase with a squirt of water and a paper towel. They are better (I think) than Vis-A-Vis because you can get them in several point sizes. I like the fine ones since they are better for writing on printed overheads. I think they erase cleaner than Vis-A-Vis also.

18. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Nov 14, 2006

Kind of funny - the picture is for a permanent marker, but the description is water-based.

I have a set of these in some point size and I really like them. It took a lot longer for the point tip go soft than it did with the Vis-A-Vis. That is my biggest peeve about the markers. I want the tip to stay nice and firm. I think I will try the Staedtler thin point ones.

Thanks for the recommendation!

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 16, 2006

I buy them at the local teacher store so I just did a search for a picture. I didn't look that close at the picture before I posted the link. Whoops!

20. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Nov 16, 2006

At my school we write right on the glass of the overhead projector. We use the Visa-Vs or Expos to write and baby wipes to clean off the glass.

21. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Nov 17, 2006

I love the idea of the clear dry-erase board to place over the transparency. I have been writing on the white board rather than on the transparency. I like to do this so my transparencies stay clean and also because I can see the class better and move around. The overhead I have this year really blinds me when I look up while standing next to it (because of the bright light) and, of course, the overhead motor's fan can drown out some students' soft voices.

22. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2006

Have any of you ever used a projector system called ELMO? It's a camera and projector with a platform. You use regular notebook paper to write on with a pencil or pen and it projects the image on your pull-down screen. I used it for a 1/2 year position and I miss it!!! It made sooooo much sense!!! It projected in color and in black and white. What ever you put on the platform showed exactly the same on the screen. You could put the text book up there and zoom in or highlight sections.....ahhhh...the memories!!!

23. astewart

astewart Rookie

Nov 18, 2006

Those are so nice! They had them in a first grade class I was in, but unfortunately, they don't have them at the school I teach at now. That would be so nice! Regular paper = CHEAP, plus seeing the textbook, science demos.... SIGH! Too bad they're so expensive!

24. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2006

And kids love volunteering to come show their work using ELMO!! Very
    Expensive to strat up but so cost efficient in the long run!!! Overheads drive me nuts now but that's the way to budget goes!! Sigh!

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2006

I'm getting a document camera (basically an elmo), but they dont' have it in yet. They're upgrading my SmartBoard to an ActiveBoard, and I'm getting new "clickers" for the kids and a document camera. I'll be glad to get rid of my overhead projector.

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 18, 2006

Go to the office supply store and buy a colored report cover or colored transparency, and tape it to the overhead screen. I have to use masking tape to make the screen smaller, but it makes such a difference since my eyes won't tolerate looking into that white light. I have a red and a yellow on my overhead right now, and the kids love the orange screen!