overhead projector

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by map, Jul 15, 2006.

1. map

map Companion

Jul 15, 2006

I haven't used an overhead projector in my Kindergarten classroom. Anyone have any suggestions? Do you let the students use for activities or only for the teacher?

3. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jul 15, 2006

ONLY teacher use (they are not tall enough to reach it yet if you have it on the cart). We use it lots for spelling near the end of the year, word blending, etc. I use it some at the beginning to show them how to draw shapes. I use it to teach about shadows. I also have these letters that you can see on it, we use those to spell words and things.

4. benemma

benemma Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

I was just thinking about the fact that my room doesn't have an overhead. I used to teach 1st and 2nd grade and I used it a lot actually.

Krista

5. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jul 15, 2006

I used mine once last year. It was for shadows. I went around the room and collected small items and put them on the overhead and had the students tell me what the item was. Like paperclips, scissors, pencil, clear ruler, etc.

I want to use it for more this year but I'm still trying to figure out how. Can't wait to see what you all use it for!

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2006

I let my students use it during center time. Sometimes I pull out the transparencies I use while teaching a lesson and let them fill them out (ie. a worksheet, write a paragraph). I can't tell you how much easier it is to get a student to redo a worksheet when they are allowed to do it on the overhead (if you want to save a copy, just put a piece of paper behind it and photocopy the transparency). I let them make patterns on them, practice printing their letters, use my tranparent money and figure out money questions...

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 16, 2006

Its not specific to Kinder, but there is a thread called The Dreaded Overhead with some great advice. Its from June.

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2006

I let my kids use it as a center when I didn't use it. Use plastic letters to spell words then kids can copy these words onto a word list or vice versa- have a word list that students use to make words with plastic letters on the overhead.

9. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

I like it because I can face the students while I am teaching.

If you can point it at a marker board, let the kids go to the marker board and write answers.

I don't know if you are supposed to, but I write directly on the overhead glass. I keep a spray bottle of water. Just spritz the glass and wipe clean and write again.

Brenda

10. map

map Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Thanks for all the great ideas. I am going to give it a try this year.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

Does anyone project onto a sheet? I can't put up a screen because of maps hung there, and my white board is shiny so it reflects the light bulb. Also, when I place it so it projects the right size, I am two rows into the class. What am I doing wrong?

I'm still trying to make the dreaded overhead work out for me!

12. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

I use the overhead a lot to model in math. Do you have any overhead manipulatives? If not, you can make them if you have paper copies, just copy it onto a transparency and cut them out (coins, rulers, pattern blocks, etc.). I also use the overhead for poems. We read it and the students come up to circle rhyming words and sight words. For K, you could have the circle whatever letter you are working on. The kids seem to like the overhead and it is a change from always writing on the board or whatever.

13. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

I used my overhead projector everyday for math. With our math series we have problem of the day transparencies and the kids loved it. I would call on someone to come up and answer the question. All the students enjoyed this and never let me forget "Problem of the Day".

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

Having to place the projector two rows into the class is par for the course, 'daisy... though one alternative is to make your original images bigger so they'll project bigger. If you use the projector only occasionally, what about projecting onto a different wall?

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

I don't have one blank wall, not even 3 feet. One's all windows, one's all books, one's louvered closet doors.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

Louvered closet doors? How about hanging a sheet over them, or a roll-up windowshade?

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

I think I'm going to just hang a sheet over the white board and attach it with powerful magnets.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

Whatever works!

19. violetsmom

violetsmom Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Morning Message

I did part of my student teaching in a Kinergarten classroom and we used the overhead everyday for the Morning Message. I would write a message about what we would be learning that day, what special they would go to, and any other thing that may be happening. Then we would read the message together and then I would ask them to come up and find words that they knew and circle them. They loved this. They would find word wall words and other words that they knew. Sometimes I would ask them to put a triangle around a word or a box-anything to change it up. I also used the overhead for a math lesson over money. I had a piggy bank transparency and overhead coins and I would put the coins onto the bank and ask them what hte coins were and how much they were worth. This also really worked well and they seemed to like the overhead because it was something different. I am going to be teaching second grade this year and I plan to use the overhead in the same way.

20. bawbmc

bawbmc New Member

Jul 17, 2006

We use our overhead projector everyday for focus lessons in math and language. I also use it to make silhouette of the kids for their end of the year memory books.

21. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I use my overhead all the time- for math, reading, and writing.

I of course use it with math.....overhead manipulatives are not very expensive. I have a cart that is low enough that they can reach it when it is their turn to work on it.

Especially writing....We start out the year modeling sentence structure using their first nine weeks sight words ( I see a ____., etc.) We go ahead and model correct sentences from the beginning. We feel as a grade level at my school that the more they see something, the better they will do on their own.

As the year progresses, they start copying my sentence, moving from 1 sentence to 2, then 3. This helps them when they have free writing time. Before I started doing this, my kids would always say, " I don't know how...I don't know what to do!" Now, I remind them to remember how they helped me when I wrote on the overhead. At the end of the year, our goal is to have them writing 3sentences on the same topic. Doing this has really helped to boost their confidence. This year, some in my group were so advanced in reading and writing at the end of the year that they were writing 4-6 sentence stories on their own! It has also made our first grade teachers happy because they are already very familiar with the overhead before 1st grade.

I have taught for 9 years, and the past three years are when I really started using it more. We plan as a grade level each week to pull work for the following week. We have worked really well as a group coming up with ideas to use our overheads for. I think it really helps to keep their attention and it is easy for all the students to see, regardless of where they are sitting.:)