overhead oopss

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by chelster, Sep 19, 2003.

1. chelster

chelster Rookie

Sep 19, 2003

I just started using my overhead projector using new fine markers. I looked at them and knew they were vis a vis, but failed to recognize they were permanent and not wet erase. Help!! How can I remove the writing from my projector??????? Any ideas?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 19, 2003

Try using baby wipes, or rubbing alcohol, both will sometimes get it up. Good luck!
    Christy

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 19, 2003

other solutions

I dont know if lemon juice or vinegar would work or what about the kitchen glass stove top stuff called soft scrub?

I did the same thing with the board on the wall. Used what looks like an expo that is thin but is the SHARPIE permanent. Achk:p

5. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Sep 19, 2003

Try writing over the top of the perm. marker with a removable vis a vis. This might work. I know this works if you write on a whiteboard with a perm. marker and write over the top of that with a whiteboard marker.

6. in the loop

in the loop Rookie

Sep 19, 2003

Try fingernail polish remover. I use it to remove sharpie from laminated charts and stuff.

7. Margo

Margo Devotee

Sep 19, 2003

Goof Off works like magic. I use permanent marker on all my laminated material that I use each year and just wipe it off with the stuff. It will take out anything. It smells very strong so use it after school with good ventilation but it will take off you oopppss.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 19, 2003

or hand sanitizer.

Don't feel bad. Today I tried to take the glass part off my OH to clean under it and I broke the glass...sigh

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 19, 2003

When I moved into this room 7 years ago the overhead was disgusting. Full of spiderwebs and the bottom glass was so covered with dirt that you couldn't see through it. I carefully took it apart, placed each screw and bolt on a sketch so I would know exactly where to put them, (ok so I was new and neurotic!), cleaned it all, then very carefully put it back together. I was so proud of myself that I had managed to put it together! I grabbed my cleaning supplies and tools, then promptly dropped the screw driver on the glass. The tip hit the corner and snapped it in two. I thought I was going to cry. Of course when I contacted the company about buying a new piece of glass they laughed at me and said..."We stopped making anything for that model about 18 years ago!" Thanks to a grant I finally have a new one.

Christy

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 19, 2003

Christy, that is my fear - that they stopped making this model years ago. I'm sure they did. I am hoping that we can just have a piece of glass cut. I still don't know how to get it off either.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2003

Nail polish remover should work

12. austeach

austeach Companion

Sep 19, 2003

It sounds as though a lot of you have your own overhead projectors. Is that so? We have to share about 3 between 30 classes at my school. Luckily, because of this, people just don't bother to use them, so I manage to keep one in my room almost permanently and people just come to borrow it from me now and then. I'd love to be able to afford to simply get my own.

13. Margo

Margo Devotee

Sep 19, 2003

Each classroom comes equiped with an overhead. We don't need to purchase ours.

14. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 19, 2003

breaking an overhead

Now I dont need to tell you that the glass on the overhead appears REALLY thick and probably extrememly costly considering how much you would spend on a NEW one. Unless its of sentimental value and/or its a modernized one that auto focuses I dont think its worth fixing. (you can always purge the parts together with someone else's thats not working.)
    Just a funny note to add to your hysterical overhead mishaps. The school I used to work at had a full evacuation of the school for fire alarm went off. Apparently a bug had crawled into the overhead and either then died or had been dead. The teacher who used it said it started to smell and then smoke ALOT (overheads smell their overheadish kind of way anyhow but whew, imagine a roasting bug....)

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 19, 2003

Maybe I could use mine as an electric griddle!! Latkes for Hannukkah!

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 19, 2003

There is a glass store in Jena that offered to cut the glass for me (he wasn't sure if he could get the corners bevelled like they needed to be, but he was going to try.) Even with the discount that he was giving me it was going to be at least $50. The new one that I got last year was about $150 (through Classroom Direct), and it is great. I treat this one like a baby, though. No screw drivers any where near the glass!;)
    Christy

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 19, 2003

I know this will sound strange, but try rubbing a dry erase marke over the top of the marks then rub with a clean cloth. It worked for me!

18. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Sep 21, 2003

I use a white eraser on the permanent marker on laminated surfaces and it comes right off, you have to rub hard but it works!Good luck!!

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 21, 2003

I am a male teacher teaching special Ed, and I use the overhead almost every day, and write on transparencies, to prevent myself or the kids accidentally writing on the glass with a permenant marker.

I did, however, have to change the bulb once. It was hard to get the new one in, so I pushed really hard with my bare hand, and latched it. I turned it on, and the grease from my hand instantly broke the new bulb. This happened 3 times in a row before I found a way to install it without touching it with my hand. I threw the broken bulbs away before anyone saw them. The silly kids saw them and spilled the beans on me anyway!

20. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Sep 23, 2003

well chelster....... did you get the marker to come off? We are all curious here!!