overhead letter tiles

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cheer, Jul 9, 2010.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

I am seaching for overhead letter tiles for my make a word center. I have found that they can be expensive when you need to buy them in bulk. Has anyone tried coping them on transparency paper? If so how does it work storing them and do they stick together? (so you may lose a couple?)

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

Here's What I Did

I simply collected a bunch of those colorful fridge magnets[​IMG]

and used those. The project the letters. Plus, they are multipurpose so they can be used for a magnetic center as well.

4. boomer mitra

boomer mitra Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

tiles made up of plastics are useful and long living than of any other materials..as we all know how playful children can be so, its the best what you can take,

5. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

Thanks, thats a great idea. How many children would you have at that center? I only have one overhead. I wonder if you can make a game out of it...HMMM...

6. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I turned a metal shelf around so that my kids could have a magnet center, but I never thought about putting them on the overhead...too cool!!!!

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 10, 2010

I took math tiles and wrote letters on them using a black sharpie.

8. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

Yes, I have copied them on tranparencies and cut them out. But you're right about storage- it's hard to find the letter you need when they're jumbled up and you can't read them b/c they're all stacked on one another. But my kids would spread them on the carpet and eventually find what they needed- wasted some time though.

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

yes I've used mag letters on the overhead and I have also printed letters on transparencies and cut apart - it works. And that is in kinder. Letters do come up missing but.....

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2010

Or, type in whatever font you want, then print directly onto transparencies. Store in plastic craft boxes. Even sorting the letters to put them away can be an activity.

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

That was my idea

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

I was thinking you could use foam letters. They tend to be smaller than magnetic letters (you can fit more on the overhead) and you can get them at the dollar store, Walmart, and any craft store. The only downside is they often have the peel and stick adhesive on one side. If you can find them without adhesive (or maybe soak the adhesive off) they might be a good way to go.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

Oooh, or maybe you can use letters from the sewing section. I always see applique letters that you can iron on. Those wouldn't have adhesive on one side (unless your kids bring an iron).