Overall Year Plan

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsHoot, Jun 22, 2009.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

Hi!

I am trying to get organized for my first year. I would like to have a year plan/guide that includes topics for each subject, as well as standards that I plan on covering. Well it sounds easy to me...but when I get right down to it, it's not easy!!!

Do you have any tips for how to do this? I guess I'm stuck because we are using Envision Math and I have the first two topics that include 5 lessons each. Well. What do I plan for those lessons? Do I plan a day for each lesson, and then a day for assessment? Or do I plan for 7 days to include reteaching or reviews as well as an assessment? The next topic has 8 different lessons.

I have figured out how many actual teaching days I have in each month (took out holidays and no school days) so I kind of know about how long I have to teach.

The other thing that I am stuck on is standards vs. benchmarks vs. targets vs. "I can" statements (in students language). What do I need to focus most towards? The I can statements lay everything out very easily so that I would know exactly what to do with students. Then there are more teacher friendly targets that encompass a few different I can statements.

Then on the district website, it lists the actual standard and then benchmarks and then learning goals (I think that's the title). So I'm really not sure what to pay attention to and it just makes it very confusing. >=/ I would hope that with the I can statements and the learning targets that are in my curriculum binder would have cross-referenced the state standards.

Also one more thing... does anyone have a great resource for both reading and writing mini lessons for workshop?? I am kind of stuck in that area and our district utilizes the workshop methods --no basals or anything like that. (Except for word study references...)

AHHH I feel like I'm in over my head!:dizzy:

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2009

Well, we are supposed to design lessons that incoprate the state standards. I am not sure what you mean by the "I can"-is that like the objectives, stating what the students will be able to do? They all really work together, the standards, objectives/goals.

Does your grade level have a pacing calendar to sort of help you out? I think most schools do. At least in this area. Ask for a pacing calendar, which will greatly help guide you in your planning.

Sorry I am not more help.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2009

Tami~I think MrsHoot is meaning instead of saying "The student will be able to identify key battles during the Civil War," to say "I can tell the key battles during the Civil War." It can also work for centers, telling what the students can do in a given center.

It's great to "see" you back Tami!

5. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

Yes, STG's right. The "I can" statements are just the targets in a student friendly manner. I can write complete sentences... blah blah. They are nice because they give me a good idea of what the students should be doing in order to complete the target. I'm just not sure if the targets are one and the same as the state standards, or if my district has modified the standards and labeled them targets.

I guess I will just have to ask! I have not gotten a pacing calendar, but I will ask for one. That would be a big help!

6. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Jun 22, 2009

7. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

I find that EnVision Math is done best out of order. Most of our teachers use it and change the order of the topics.
    HTH!

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2009

You too, STG. BTW, you have an email from me... :)

9. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

Thanks for the tips, I will check into them!

10. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

As for pacing the math... i wouldn't try to get too far ahead in terms of planning how long to do each page. You might want to ask a teacher in your school what their opinion is of the program and how they pace through it. That way you can learn from their experiences. Ask a few incase you ask those jaded bitter teachers and get some skewed perspective... haha.

I always look at the Standards in terms of what needs to be taught. You might want to read them through a few times to really understand them and start putting them into logical categories/chunks... as if developing a year long checklist. From that you can at least see the goal of what to do. Some parts may take longer some may take less.

The page-to-page flow of your math curriculum will mainly depend on your class and how they are latching onto the subjects.

Especially for your first year, DO NOT overplan! As I have learned, the first year involves a lot of late nights and crazy amounts of planning throughout the year as you figure things out. Your initial plan may not work so be flexible.

I really like Fountas and Pinnell for the readers/writer's workshop. They have tons of resources involving mini lessons and lesson organization... it's a massive book but definitely helpful. And go here to see the workshop method in action....

http://quest.carnegiefoundation.org/~dpointer/jennifermyers/workshopapproach.htm