Overall grades

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by John Lee, Jun 3, 2015.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 3, 2015

Does the last trimester grade mean any more than the previous trimester(s)? Is it strictly the last trimester? Or is it supposed to be more a "final" grade for the entire year? Sorry if dumb question.

3. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jun 4, 2015

I just go strictly term to term. In my classroom, as far as grades are concerned, every kid gets a clean slate at the beginning of every term. I don't even look to see what I gave them the previous term.
    I can see why it would make a difference in secondary, but with elementary, I don't think it's appropriate or equitable to give a cumulative grade at the end.

4. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 4, 2015

In my district quarter grades are adveraged to get then final grade. So a student who scored 70, 80, 75, 85 a grade for each quarter would average out to a 77.6 which equates to a C here. This is true for all grade 1-12. Kindergarten is standards based so students in a sense get a clean slate each quarter because they are graded on mastery or non-mastery

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2015

Reading seems to be an area where cumulative would make most sense - as you're continually making progress across the board with fiction/nonfiction, comprehension/fluency (i.e. it isn't broken by semester). Writing, for those who spiral with the three main types, also seems this way.

For math, science, social studies, and writing if it's broken up into thirds of the year (narrative, expository, opinion)...it seems to make more sense to do it per semester, as different topics are being learned...and while they somewhat build on each other, they're also a bit more distinct.

That being said, I think our system does trend grades for reading and math year-long, but semester-long for the rest. But really, I'm looking to see where the child is now...if they were at a 1 in fall but consistently produce '3' work now, they would receive a 3, not a 2 because it is the average. At least that's how I view it for elementary, and with the 1-4 scheme.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 4, 2015

Our final grades are an average of the two semester grades. I would think the final trimester grade would be based off just that trimester.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 4, 2015

This is how I see this situation as well.