overall atmosphere of your school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Feb 19, 2014.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 19, 2014

hey guys,
    What is the overall atmosphere of your school like? I know every school has higher achieving and better behaved students, as well as lower achieving and students that has more behavior problems….but what is your school like as a whole?

I am lucky enough to work at a school where the students overall have a good attitude and the overall atmosphere of the school is that they need to work hard to pass each class. I work at a school that has the mastery system. This means that every student has to achieve a 90% in a class in order to pass it. This means students often have to take a class more than once until they master it… this is not looked at negatively, it is not looked at as failing the class.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 19, 2014

I love the atmosphere of our school. Both the students and the teachers are all one small community. The really top kids care about the really struggling kids. While they may not have the best work ethic overall, their attitude towards learning is a lot better than other schools I have seen.

I'm wondering about your school, what happens if they have to keep repeating English more than their 3 years in Middle School and still don't pass it at the end?

What happens if they eventually pass the 6th grade English class, but didn't pass 7th or 8th grade English before they graduate?

4. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 19, 2014

Half of my school wants to pass and do well, while the other half could care less about education and think it is boring, so to get excitement, they burn down a bathroom, smoke in the bathroom, and pull the fire alarm (this happened yesterday BTW).

5. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Feb 19, 2014

I work in a low income, urban school. And I love it. Yes, there are some kids who live up to the idea that low socio-economics = poor performance, but my school defies the odds. Most of my kids are the children of Hispanic immigrants and they are so much fun because the overall attitude of the kids is, "Give me more. Push me beyond what I think I can do." It's the attitude most of the parents give as well. Teachers encourage it. It's the most amazing place in the world, in my humble opinion.

6. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 19, 2014

I work at a high income school. Wonderful staff, EXCELLENT admin... small classes, full-time aide, plenty of resources, and involved parents that just want to see their children do well.

What makes it for me is that it's a city school but has a great close knit feel. I can't explain it but I have a strange sense of humor but I have really cool coworkers that appreciate it and I feel really welcomed. Working in an environment where you feel accepted and supported makes all the difference.

I feel supported. I feel excited to go to work. I feel challenged yet not overwhelmed. Is my job one hundred percent perfect? No, but I do love it and wouldn't change any of it.

I don't mean to be a "Pollyanna" but I have a good job and don't mind saying so!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2014

We are a new school this year, with students from 4 schools and staff from over 8 schools coming together. Admin and staff have worked very hard to establish the positive climate that we want for our building. Staff and students feel supported both academically and emotionally. Our principal is the right balance of tough and fun. He genuinely likes kids, and that shines through.

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 20, 2014

I am glad to hear most of you guys have a positive atmosphere overall at your schools.

To the question asking what we do with kids who do not pass a class by the end of middle school.... We do put 8th grade age students in an 8th grade English class the second semester of their last year at the middle school level, even if they did not master the 6th and 7th grade classes.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 20, 2014

The morale at my school this year is very, very low. Not enough discipline action by the admin, kids running the school, low parent involvement, teachers exhausted and frustrated. This is the first year I have seriously considered myself burnt out and looking for ways-finacially- to quit teaching. It sucks. I love teaching, but I am out of ideas on how to make it work anymore. Moving to another school in my district will only bring the same problems.

10. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Feb 20, 2014

I feel the same way! There is so many things wrong with my school as well as the "good ol' boy" district I work for.:| If I wasn't single and had a another income to help I would consider leaving the profession, but somebody's got to pay the bills.

11. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Feb 20, 2014

If you've ever seen the movies "Lean On Me," particularly the part where Morgan Freeman first arrives at Eastside High School or "The Principal," particularly the segment of the film where Jim Belushi's character takes over at Brandel High School, you have a pretty good idea of what the overall atmosphere at my school is like.

:dunno:

12. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 20, 2014

HIGH absent rates for students - (our teachers on the other hand, have excellent attendance.) Many of our students have failed out of other schools and need to make up credits. Many of them have rotten habits that haven't worked for them in the past and continue to hold them back. Many of them have addictions and lousy attitudes. ...and sometimes, just sometimes - some of them turn it around - some light goes on for them and they start to mature. It doesn't happen overnight - it doesn't happen for all of them - but wow - sometimes I see some hint of the young adult they are becoming - and oh, it's a nice reward. My principal tries to keep reminding us of this - which helps. Overall atmosphere? varies moment to moment - we try to keep it positive and focus on what is working and how to not take the negative personally. Also - we are a tiny school in a huge district - so we try to highlight that we are special. ...in a good way!

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 20, 2014

I work at a charter. The majority of our students are from low-income, minority homes. I love my school. The atmosphere is extremely positive. All of the staff members are really dedicated to the students and supportive of one another. I am constantly amazed by how welcoming everyone is. Everyone - custodians, tech staff, office staff, teachers, aides - smiles and says "hi," stops to talk to you, etc. It is just a really warm, friendly environment and I'm sure the kids pick up on it too. They know the staff is all on the same team.

I love my school, but I don't like the area I live in, which is why I'm applying for jobs in a different part of the state for next year. I really hope I can find a school as amazing as this one! I'm a little nervous about leaving! I'm just so grateful to have started my career in such a welcoming, supportive place. My first year of teaching wasn't nearly as traumatic as it could have been because the teachers on my grade level were (still are!) SO incredibly helpful and understanding, going out of their way to answer my questions and share resources with me. :wub:

14. pinkrobots27

pinkrobots27 Rookie

Feb 21, 2014

I teach at a private bi-lingual school in Costa Rica. Most parents have a high income for the area and country as a whole. It's small school with only class sizes from 10-22 students. I really like the small classes. It makes it so much easier to work with students who need extra help or extension. It is also conducive for teaching students who are working their second language for the most of the day.

My administration is definitely much better than what I have had in a past. However, there is definitely favoritism and I feel like native speakers like myself are given a heavier work load without a larger salary. Also, they tend to have lofty ideas that don't work in the classroom on a day to day basis.

A lot of the students come from more rigorous schools where they couldn't get the services they needed. I like being able to really make sure my students get it than moving on quickly for rounds and rounds of tests.

I'd like to see my administration come back down to earth a bit and more parent involvement. (Dream on, right?) Plus, consider workload when creating salaries. The last issue could have me looking for a new school in a year or two if it isn't rectified.

15. TruthHurts

TruthHurts New Member

Feb 23, 2014

Everyone gets along well. My grade level team are a well oiled machine. When one of us is sick/late, we pick up one another's slack. The principal does hospital visits when someone is ill and we are truly in this together. I love my school

16. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2014

I'll leave my school out of it except to say that I'm quite jealous of many of the posters in this thread.

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 23, 2014

My P makes all the difference in the world. Before / when she first started, she said it was like a scene from Dangerous Minds, students fighting, there was actually a riot one day when everyone was fighting, students treated teachers horribly. The LTS that was in my classroom just a year ago almost had a nervous breakdown, kids treated her so badly (there are still chocolate pudding marks on the ceiling), they shoved her, etc.

Now? For the most part there is order. Our students come from extreme poverty, most of them are on probation, a lot of them are in gangs, all of them have been expelled due to behavior, drugs, etc. We have students who have extreme anger issues, have assaulted staff members in the past (that's why we have them). We have some damaged children who will never get over what happened to them.
    Yet, they come to school (although some days attendance is lagging), and follow directions for the most part, do their best work for the most part. I can't complain. They really do try, and besides the occasional outburts, profanity, challenging my authority, they really do treat me well (I'm still the newest teacher here).

I love the school, and I go there every day feeling very relaxed. I don't have the butterflies in my stomach I used to have when I student taught. I only had that for the first month when I started here.

The teachers? For the most part I like them, but it comes down to 2 high school teachers whose attitude I don't like and I try to stay away from their negativity. My P is really the glue that keeps us all together, and I don't know what we would do without her.

In summary, my school is tough, most people don't want to teach here, but I love it.