Over trained/over workshopped?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by pamms, Dec 29, 2005.

1. pamms

pamms Comrade

Dec 29, 2005

I apparently have a limited capacity for 'new information' for any given period of time. lol (somehow I suspect that is normal) ;-)
    I'm starting to wish for a year off of ANY training or workshops or new ideas sent, handed, suggested or ordered for me to do! I think that most of us got into teaching, at least in part, because we tend to be creative. I know I have so many ideas of my own and ideas that I have hunted down, etc that I am simply on overload! Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed some of the trainings and workshops and found great ideas in them, but I have rarely implemented those ideas...I am too quickly off to the next thing with no time to sit back and reflect and figure HOW to best use those ideas in my classroom. When we get back from break, we have to go to a 1/2 day mandatory training about a computer program that most of us won't have the equipment (computer, not mental equipment lol) to use..I wonder what useful ideas are going to be knocked out of my brain to make room for that! ;-) lol
    I recently had to fill out a short report about a training I had gone to several weeks ago. Now...when I was AT the training, I remember being impressed with many of the ideas...BUT...just a few weeks later, i sat down to fill out the form and I couldn't recall ANYthing from the training!
    Is anyone else just feeling overtrained and can't keep it all in their brain?
    Pam

3. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Dec 29, 2005

That's interesting because most of the people where I work feel UNDER trained. :) We have 2 professional development days per year, but we usually only use 1 for any kind of real development. This is my third year at my school, and the only training I've had was first aid, IBPYP, and some basic computer literacy. On the bright side, the training I had felt very useful, and since there's been so little of it, I haven't had any trouble keeping it in my brain. :)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 29, 2005

The info is great but you can't just change your routine every time you hear something new. Plus, lots of times people are just trying to influence you to buy their products. Either that or they got money to do the workshop so you have to attend. Also, if you get pulled out of the classroom frequently that isn't productive, and if you have to give up your own time, that's not too good - only ok if you have a real desire for that workshop.

5. NJ Teacher

NJ Teacher New Member

Dec 29, 2005

I think I would decide on 2 or 3 new ideas each year and work with only them. Keep everything else that you get from workshops in a place in your file cabinet that you can access if you want. I always think it's far better to do a few things well than lots of things so-so.

Hope this helped!

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 29, 2005

I totally know what you mean. And I don't even have my own class yet! I have so many ideas and right now I am just trying to organize them on my computer. Even though I have folders labeled appropriately and everthing seems to be in place, I find that once I store an idea or save a website under 'my favorites', that is where it ends up staying. Whenever I get a chance I usually go through everything I have and comment to myself about how I want to use that idea/resource soon. I can't imagine what my first year is going to be like!
    Just understand that you are not alone and that many teachers feel the same way you do.

7. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Dec 29, 2005

This school year is the first one where I've felt free to try all of the workshop ideas I've learned. However, our school district is now moving toward unwrapping standards and curriculum mapping. Now, don't get me wrong, there is some merit in that. However, I am waiting for the professional day that my principal says, "OK - work in your classrooms or with your grade-level colleagues!" I think I'd faint. See what NCLB has done to teaching? Thank goodness I keep telling myself: "It's about the children. It's about the children."

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2005

My school has 5 inservice days a year, with only 1 being a "workday" for us to work in our classroom. I feel totally overwhelmed by all of the stuff they throw at us. In NJ, you have to complete 100 hours of professional development every 5 years...it gets a little crazy because administrators start throwing stuff down your throat...and when you are still non-tenured (like me) you don't really want to say no...

Therefore, last summer alone I achieved my 100 hours:-( I'll never do that whole thing again...I was nuts! But my resume and my PIP looked great for this year!!

9. Teacherpam

Teacherpam Rookie

Dec 29, 2005

training and workshops

We have trainings every Wednesday for 2 hrs and every other Monday for 1-1/2 hrs after school. I too feel overwhelmed and would love to just work in my classroom.

Teacherpam

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2005

An important piece of any training is the chance to REFLECT....back to back to back workshops/training/courses just doesn't allow you that time. Try to get at least ONE good idea out of each training and start with that- start small, see how it works. On the other and, feel lucky that you are in a district that values your professional development so much- many teachers would be so happy to have your opportunities for enrichment.

11. redskinmom

redskinmom Rookie

Dec 30, 2005

I actually told my principal "I don't want to learn anything new". Then I felt badly-not very professional for an educator to feel that way. But I need time to try new things and then adjust to work the kinks out to fit my teaching style. Of course, I have to be really careful not to get stuck in a rut, afraid to try new things. Oh, the wishywashyness of my brain on break! Sorry for rambling.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2005

I'm in NJ as well- My district offers many oportunities for professional development during the year plus you can count graduate ourse hours toward the 100. I have had between 40-60 hours each year not counting grad class hours so getting the 100 is not an issue in my district. I also don't feel 'over-workshopped' as mot of my workshops tend to 'fit together' as far as philosophy...I haven't ever had a workshop stuffed down my throat- we actually get a list of the offerings and can sign up for what we want. We also have inservice from Columbia University Reader and Writers' workshop training so those hours count too and they are the basis of our literacy program so it all just fits.

13. KIF

KIF Companion

Jan 3, 2006

I am so overtrained. I hope that what we do is normal. I joke as I refer to my "Monday" meeting, "Tuesday" meeting, and so on. At least they give me my Friday afternoon.

I think to myself. This is why we are failing our state test, the teachers don't have time to plan lessons and gather materials.