Over half my class receives services from IEPs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gotothemattresses2, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Oct 14, 2016

I am looking for advice as to how to handle this situation...

A couple days before the first day of school I found out that I would have 13 students with IEPs in my classroom of 24. Six of these students receive special education services for reading, writing, or math. One of those six includes a behavioral plan for anger along with getting speech services. I have another with an IEP for speech alone. Six more students are part of our social/emotional behavior program. They begin their day with the special education teacher, I see two or three at one time because the others are below grade level or their behavior is too extreme for the general ed setting. With the two or three I have in my room most of the day they have a paraprofessional with them at all times who tracks their behavior and assists them when they are in the inclusion setting.

I have another student who is not on an IEP but has displayed such severe behavior this year it has resulted in her pushing chairs, throwing notebooks and pencils, yelling, and gotten to the point of clearing the classroom and her mom coming to take her home twice because she was not compliant and a danger to herself and the other students. I am working on a behavior plan for her.

With all these things going on in the room it seems like there is a student having a melt down or causing a major disruption (and taking me away from instruction) at least 3-4 times a day. I do not feel that it is fair to the students or the parents (who have not been entirely made aware of the situation).

Only one other teacher of the four teachers on my third grade team has one student with an IEP. I am seeking advice on what I can do, if anything, to help with this situation which has become overwhelming. I have spoken to colleagues who were shocked at the situation but did not provide much advice. I have spoken to my principal but it was brushed aside as a coincidence that all these students were put in one room.

I do not want this to happen to me or another teacher at my school.

Any advice is welcome!

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Oct 14, 2016

Coincidence, really? So principals don't finalize class lists? What a load of bull! I'm fairly certain it is also illegal. I've always heard that if more than 1/3 of your class is SPED that makes it a SPED class not a gened class.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 14, 2016

I agree.

I also got "this" class my first year of teaching. I quit half way through the year and found a school that treated its teachers better.

I'm glad you have an aide (I didn't), so use that to your advantage as much as possible! Otherwise, just do your best to get through the year, I suppose. If you feel able to do so, it may help to talk to your union. This kind of thing should not happen, especially as a "coincidence".

There are so many reasons this is wrong. One, you have a hard class, obviously. But two, the workload is increased for paperwork alone when you have a class like this. If you have 13 students with IEPs, you must be going to meetings so often! That's really not fair to you, if you are the only one with these students in your grade level. Sorry you got put in that situation.

5. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Oct 19, 2016

I have seen this happening more and more, administrators want to just stick all the sped students together and even with a sped teacher, it creates the worst possible classroom environment! It's not right for the teacher or students! As a parent, I would be very upset if my child was put into a classroom that was so unbalanced. I had that class last year and I am helping in it this year, I just don't understand it. Administrators need to stop doing this to teachers and students. Sorry about your situation!

Backroads likes this.
  6. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Rookie

Oct 19, 2016

This happened in my school. Out of the 31 teachers, 4 had special needs students. 3 of them ( including me ) had only 1 student each. Their students had mild ADD or semi-moderate ADHD. Then the 4th teacher had 11 special needs. The principal might have been trying to get rid of her or something, because it seemed odd.

Pen4Pencil likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 19, 2016

Sometimes (in my experience) those kids are put all together because it allows the principal to hire one SpEd assistant to serve the kids all at once. For example... let's say three teachers each have one kid who receives 1 hour of SpEd push-in a day. One SpEd teacher or assitant goes to three different classrooms, total of three hours a day. If those three kids are in one classroom, and each requires 1 hour a day, then one person can push in to that classroom and serve three kids in that one hour, if that makes sense. I don't know if it's legal, but I believe that was the principal's motivation when I ended up with a similar class makeup of about 10 SpEd and 30 total kids.

teacherintexas likes this.
  8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 19, 2016

Then I have special ed experience for my resume!

Backroads likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 20, 2016

I did a bit of Googling. On the surface it seems there is no current law limiting the percentage of IEP kids in a classrooom... as long as they don't interfere with each others' IEPs.

10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2016

http://www.uft.org/teaching/special-classes

Interesting article. It is mainly about special classes, but it has an interesting section on mainstreaming and its definition.

So, the question is, is the class with all of those students with IEPs really a mainstreamed class or a special class that happens to meet in the same room as a general education class. Who is the teacher of record and how many students on IEPs receiving services beyond accommodations are in that class?

Backroads likes this.