over doing it

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Nisey, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Jul 27, 2005

I would like to know I am overdoing it with all the things that I would like to do with my class this coming school year. Can you please tell me if this is too much for grade fours?

Language Arts
    literature circles, reader's theater, blended structure and style writing

Math
    problem of the week/day(haven't decided, this involves problem solving)
    math journals/ mad minute relays

Science
    science journals/lab groups

Social
    haven't decided ( or really come up with) on something creative.
    :eek:

3. justright

justright Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

Not really. It's actually a good start. I am planning to do a lot more with my class.

4. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 27, 2005

I think your list looks good. Just to let you know, I do math problems of the day. But we call them "Brain Waves". I tell the students that they are problems to get our brains ready for math. They seem to like that. Just a suggestion. But you could always just do them once a week too. It's really up to you. Good Luck.
    [​IMG]

5. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Jul 28, 2005

I wanted to know because the group I'm getting is an extremly wide range in terms of ability and a few of them we are pretty sure have FAS/FAE.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2005

I do many of the things you are planning on- it allows you flexibility in your planning and easier to differentiate in terms of cooperative grouping/questions given/ journal expectations. :rolleyes:

7. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

How do you do your math problem of the day? Our math basal came with a problem of the day chart, however it is soo small that only three kids would be able to go up and work on it at a time. I have found it to be useless and do not use it. I then tried to buy a math problem of the day book and found it to be too much photocopying. I thought about just writing four problems on the board and having the students answer them in their notebook. I'd love to hear more on what you do! :)

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2005

Not... at... all. No problems there. :) The class needs to be interested and engaged in learning throughout the year.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2005

Oh, and what's a "Mad Minute Relay"? That sounds exciting!

10. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Jul 29, 2005

Mad minute relay

Mad minute relay I learned about either on this site or another site. Any way it is just like regular mad minutes only the kids do it small groups. The first person solves as many problems as they know and then pass it to the next person. Then you check the answers as a class. When I do it, I think I may say that you have to solve at least 3 problems before passing it on. Otherwise you'll get the really keen ones doing all the answers. Or the kids who are not very strong to just skip all together. It sounds like a fun activity.

11. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 29, 2005

Bam451:

The way I do my math problem of the day is either on the overhead or on the chalkboard. I give the students some time to try to figure it out, then we do it together. We go over "how" we got our answer more than "what" the answer is. Finding a way to solve the problem is always the biggest part. That way students can apply their strategies they learn to other problems in thier work.

12. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 30, 2005

Nisey,

Great list--no, I don't think you are overdoing it. Have set activities gives students something definite to look forward to.

For social studies, you can do current events or some sort of short citizenship exercise. Have a good year!

13. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 30, 2005

Social Studies ---I found this summer is the post card by e mail. Read and put the post cards around the edge with a yarn string going to a push pin on the state.
    http://www.postcardsfrom.com/ You might want to visit this site. They send a post card every week. I think this is the way we are going to go this year. Students draw numbers and number 1 print the card and information the first week and etc. Than start over again until you get all fifty states. We will put them on our large United States map on the BB. I think this will make an exciting center. As a teacher we will need to remember to print the post card of the week when we are on vacation.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

The fourth grade teacher at my school has "Person of the week" . She gives bonus points for those who can give the correct answer. She will post their picture up and give them some clues about that person. It is always someone from history, current events, politics, etc. The kids have fun with it. She also may tie it in to whatever they are studying in S.St. I think she even gives extra credit if they write a couple of sentences about the person, or what their significance is. Just a thought to help with SOc. Stu.

15. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jul 30, 2005

hescollin

I just check out the postcard site and was really impressed. I signed up for a free subscription and am excited to see how it works.
    Thanks for sharing.

16. Miss J

Miss J Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

problem of the day

Hello! Your list sounds great. If you were afraid of it being too much you could
    always combine problem of the day with math journals. I give a problem each
    day and the kids have to solve it and write how they got their answer in their
    math journals. Our old math program gave us a large problem of the day flip chart that I would put in front of the room. Sometimes I would also photocopy a page of 10 problems and cut them into little strips and have them paste or tape them in their journal. The kids also had a problem solving guide on the front cover of their journals to refer to while they are writing and pretty soon it is easy for them to remember the format (what is the problem asking me, what do I know, what do I need to find out, how I solved it, etc.). I am also thinking for this year I might give them a list of helpful math words to strengthen their math vocabulary while writing. I will probably have them paste it onto the inside cover. Hope this helps!

17. Johnny Orgovan

Johnny Orgovan Rookie

Feb 7, 2006

I created it, and no, I never taught

I ws told by a teacher friend about the original Mad Minute. So I decided to do a little research, and found the original mad minute was in 1983. So I decided to do a bit of tweaking. Here are the rules
    The students are split into two teams. Each team receives one sheet of problems. When the teacher says BEGIN, a five minute clock is started...student one on each team begins working on problem one. After that student is done, the sheet is passed down and the procedure repeated. Each team goes 3x around (This may vary depending on class size. I generally get as close to 30 problems on one sheet as possible (ex. if you have 12 students you break it down 12/6 then 6x5= 30 and that works out even...In other words for 12 students number the problems 1-6 and have the students go 5x around.)) No conferring between teammates until the end. If there is time left on the clock, teammates check the answers. If sheets are handed in before the time limit expires, the team cannot take it back to continue to work on it. Most correct answers win.

If you need more info don't hesitate to email me at jorgovan21@comcast.net