outside time

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by clarnet73, May 6, 2008.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 6, 2008

OK, I need some HELP here This is long, so I'll warn ya first...

First off, (this is long, but it's background) let me say that she's on a MAJOR prower trip right now, and has apparently chosen my class to take it out on :mad: We've (as an entire staff) gotten memo after memo about the laundry list of complaints she has that are going on, everything from dress code violations to people using "company time for personal phone calls" to people reading a novel during nap time (when they don't have anything in particular they need to be doing for the class)...not talking individually to the people she has issues with, just sending out a laundry list of issues and expecting people to know which ones apply to them and which ones don't... which of course makes everyone on edge and looking at everyone else critically.

Later that day, we get ANOTHER memo about playground time. Our playground is DCFS licensed for 40 kids... which means 2 classes at a time can be out there. We don't officially have "Assigned" playground times, but each class has set their schedule a particular way, so each class pretty much goes outside around the same time each day. When it's been ice, we may stay out a bit longer, but always come in a) in enough time that we still have plenty of time to get our "work" done and b) when other classes are ready to go out.

So our memo is all about how it's OCCASIONALLY OK for 2 classes to share a playground time, but each class needs time outside for just their class... ok, fine, we can all tweak a bit. Now they're going around cracking skulls (for some classes, but not others!!!) about how we shouldn't be outside any longer than 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon.

I can buy the morning time, I guess, because they want to make sure our curriculum all gets done. OK, fine, whatever. But the afternoon is all free play, we don't do structured academics then because we have so many kids leaving at various times, or we'll combine classes, or whatever. So they came out this afternoon and asked us what time our playground time is. We said "3:30-4:15" and got, in resonse, "no way, not 45 minutes. No longer than 30, that's it."

HELLO!!!!!!!!!! They were cooped up inside for almost 4 months, it's 82 degrees outside, and you expect us to keep them occupied for 2 hours with the same table toys they play with EVERY DAY!?!?!? (And, can I add that the school-aged kids come out about 4:30 and are allowed outside until we close at 6:30, and nobody says anything to THEM... or the toddlers that spend the ENTIRE DAY outside and nobody cares?????)

IS she on track, or is she totally off base? Suggestions?

I'm about to go INSANE. :thanks: and :sorry: for the venting... but i feel getter now ;)

3. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

May 6, 2008

Okay..

We have a 30 minutes outside at a time rule. Here is why:
    When kids are outside, they are just having free time. There is no interaction with the kids usually. Inside we can do things such as Blow Bubbles, Play w/ shaving cream on the tables etc...
    Also, kid's bladders are only going to hold for about 30 minutes - so we are required to take them in after 30 minutes, because our door locks and its once were out, were out till THEY open the door 30 mins later. TExas regulates the outside thing - and schoolers are to go by the same rule here. Not sure why she is doing this. Maybe try to talk to her??

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 6, 2008

Our outsdie door locks, too... but we prop it open with a magnet when we're outside, so that kids can go inside for the bathroom when needed... there's always an adult standing at the doorway then, so that we can hear if they need help.

I honestly think she's just looking for a fight. it's so aggravating, though, that she's obviously picking on our 2 classes and doesn't worry about what the rest of the school is doing.

5. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

May 7, 2008

Our Pre-K (We have 2) classes are picked on somewhat too... But All I can tell you on the outside thing is - find some way to entertain your kids INSIDE when they are not allowed outside. My Classroom has only 60 minutes of free play (Half Centers, Half outside in the afternoon- weather permitting)The rest is teacher-directed/interactive........ the kids are better behaved when they have a teacher there with their every move. Especially my brats lol

6. imat

imat Rookie

May 7, 2008

Our school operates for 10 hours a day. We are aloud to be outside in the morning for 1 hour provided that we have some planned activities going during their outside time. Our director feels that the outdoors is an extension of our learning environment. We bring out blankets and baskets of books, painting, ect.. She feels as long as we can justify our time out and can still meet our standers while doing it we can be out as long as we want. Weather permitting. During the afternoon our classes merge together outside and are out for another 45 minutes. We also share our outside area with 4 other classrooms and our play ground is licenced for 92 children:mellow: not that you would want that many children out there at one time. We have classes going out in the morning at 10:00 to 11:00 and 11:00 to 12:00.

Maybe you should talk to her about the benefits of a outside learning environment. You can still meet all the academics outside you just have to learn to articulate what you are learning.

Add we are NAEYC Accreditated

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

Here is what works for me. After breakfast the kids play in the entire room, all centers are open. I put out the art/project for the day and help those that need help. They come to the table at their own free will. Most come, some keep playing. Around 9:30 we clean our room up, use the bathrooms, and sit down for circle time. We go outside from 10:00 to 10:30, come inside and sit down for another story and they work on puzzles or quiet activities until 10:45, then get ready for our lunch at 11:00.
    In the afternoons, they are up from naps at 2:15 and sitting down for snack until about 2:45. After that, they can use limited centers, coloring/drawing, puzzles and quiet things. The bigger/messier centers are closed for the day(and they know that.) At 3:15 they go outside and play until either their parents come or the teacher outside decides to bring them in to cool off(in summer.) When they come in from outside like that late in the afternoons, they are still involved in the less messy activities that would require a lot of cleaning up at the end of the day. Many leave. The afternoon teacher has a short circle time with them(reading to them.) This helps a lot. Good luck!

8. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

May 8, 2008

Why don't you call her out on this discrepancy in the nicest way possible? Let her know you could really use a staff meeting so that you can all do your schedules together to ensure your outside time doesn't overlap. Then act all surprised when the tods teacher says she's outside all day anyway. You're putting the boss on the spot--letting her know that YOU know you're being singled out without being disrespectful and getting yourself in trouble.