outside rules or train my staff AGAIN/MORE?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Love2shop, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

I was just wondering what other preschool teachers do with this. I have my classroom rules for the class, and they seem to be working with the system I have in place. I use a chart with all the kids names and they all start with a green happy face, if they get 2 warnings the get a yellow so-so face, if the don't follow the rules & gain back green or if they do something aggressive they get a red sad face. On fridays if they have 5 green days they get to pick a toy from the treasure chest, anything else they get stickers.

Ok now my question............ Do I need to have rules for outside?
    or train my aides alittle more.....

I feel outside the kids should be able to go alittle crazy and do what they want as long as no one is getting hurt, (no hitting, pushing etc.) but my aides don't feel this way even though I have stated as the teacher its what I want.:eek: I am not always outside with them and this is what usually happens.... they come in and tell me so & so is on yellow or red, and I do not feel it's right... Help please.....

:thanks:

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 15, 2006

Set up something completely different for outside... Like a marble jar, if they are all good the leader of the day puts in five marbles, if an aid doesn't like something that child takes out one marble. And when all the marbles get in the good jar have a special treat. Like make a special treat. Graham Cracker. Put a gob of frosting on their cracker and students spread it with a ice cream stick. and add three M&Ms to make stop lights. I have more simple ideas for simple treats if you want them....

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2006

I guess it depends on what the rules are. They should definitly be able to act goofy, run, chase each other, and be louder. My outside rules are keeping hands to self, be gentle with the toys and treat them respectfully, and stay off the porch and stay in the yard (I'm in my home). The only time I tell them to keep a quieter voice is if they are truly screaming...we have neighbors and I am sure they don't want to hear kids screaming. They should definitly be able to let loose though and just horse around!

5. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Feb 16, 2006

We have two rules for outside play:
    Up the stairs and Down the slide (a safety issue)
    All the trikes go in one direction on the track.

Other than this, I let them do pretty much what they want, as long as they're not hurting each other.

6. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Feb 16, 2006

Thanks everyone... I have pretty much the same rules Lainie I want them to have fun, blow off steam....& have fun. I will just have to talk more about I expect for outside with both the kids and the staff... and print up rules to go outside with the class..

I may try the marble idea or one like it that will work for my class.... thanks for the idea hescollin

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 17, 2006

You buy marbles a dollar a bag at the Dollar Store. That is the cheapest place to buy marbles. We bought three or four bags. We put them in a plain clear plastic jar with a lid. (like a large peanut butter jar) And the reward jar is a clear pretty glass apple bowl with a lid.

8. Suzidc

Suzidc Rookie

Feb 18, 2006

I liked the ideas stated here, but I think you should also sit down and have a meeting with your aides, ask them what problems they see outside. then you can decide as the teacher if this is something that should be allowed and explain why (develpomentally appropriate, ect) or decide what the rule should be for it. Unfortunately since you are not always there you can not monitor what all is happening and the aides will do what is comfortable for them.. and we know that consistency is the most important for the kids.. if you get the aides in on the process maybe they would follow through a little better and they kids would get the consistency.
    I am the teacher/ director at a head start center, I have had the same type of issues and I find that working as a team (with my assistants' imput) usualy has the best reults

9. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Feb 18, 2006

Thanks Suzidc..

I have been talking about everything and planned a meeting after the break.... My problem is that the 1 aide comes in the morning when I do before the kids and the other after the kids have arrived and then she leaves before the kids are gone (part-time) so my meetings have to occur throughout our day with the kids in the room. I truly believe this is a BIG part of my problem..

10. Cole

Cole Companion

Feb 18, 2006

can you not set up a meeting and tell the part time person they need to be there at this date and this time??

i know the daycare/preschool my little one was in did this, and the only reason i knew that is they would do the meeting in the morning before the kids got there and i would see the one that was only there in the afternoons leaving after the meeting.

11. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Feb 18, 2006

I am going to have her to just to make sure I can get this straighten out.

Thanks

12. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Feb 19, 2006

Another good whole class incentive is to put popcorn kernels in a jar, and when the jar is full, the class pops them and has a popcorn party!

13. Suzidc

Suzidc Rookie

Feb 20, 2006

Miss Roxanne, do you have a nap or rest time? This is when I have my meetings with my staff. I also would not be able to have a meeting with all my staff before or after since we are a 1/2 part day and 1/2 full day program. a way to get ideas flowing faster maybe to give the aids and idea of what the meeting will be about before hand so they can be thinking about the issues outside before hand and come to the meeting ready to discuss that issue.
    I agree that with out regular meetings it is hard to keep everything running smoothly. In my case I open and leave at 3 so I have to keep regular communications up or I have no idea what is happening in the afternoon.
    I wish you luck at yoru meeting

14. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Feb 20, 2006

No nap or rest time, I teach a preschool disabled class and they are only in session for 5 hours. Like I said the aides are never in together without the kids, I think I will just have a movie day and let the kids watch tv and we will sit on the other side of the room and have the meeting..

Thanks...