Outside Reading Projects

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Mrs_R, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Mrs_R

Mrs_R New Member

Jan 28, 2008

Hi y'all. I teach 7th grade, and we do an outside reading project every six weeks. This is where the kids get to choose any book they want (grade appropriate), and they do some sort of cool project. In the past, we have done character business cards, found poems, literary palettes, etc.

I am looking for something new for this six weeks. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Mrs_R

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 28, 2008

I hate giving you an idea when I don't have all the particulars- but here goes. Somewhere in my many lesson plans google searches I remember reading about a character resume. I think the objective was to do in depth character study. The students had to provided all the basic info on the character plus some more detailed info like; how have I changed, conquences of my choices, ect.... Hope this helps

4. Mrs_R

Mrs_R New Member

Jan 28, 2008

Love it! But unfortunately, our 8th Grade does that, so I can't.

It is such a great idea, and I wish we could use it.

Any others??

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2008

These are ideas for seniors, but you could probably modify them to work for 7th graders. Some of them look too involved for 7th graders, but eh. :)

http://home.earthlink.net/~kdawno/id22.html

After reading a book of history or historical fiction, make an illustrated timeline showing events of the story and draw a map showing the location(s) where the story took place.

Design and draw costumes for any people described in the book. Explain who these people are and their roles in the text

Do a collage/poster showing pictures or 3-d items that related to the book, and then write a sentence or two beside each one to show its significance.

Make a model of something in the book.

Make a poster advertising your book so someone else will want to read it.

Make a diorama depicting an important location in the book complete with significant people present

Demonstrate a process or skill you learned from reading the book.

Make a travel brochure inviting tourists to visit the setting of the book. What types of activities would there be for them to attend?

Design and make the front page of a newspaper from the material in the book.

Produce a video or photo essay that demonstrates your learning about the book you read.

Complete a series of five drawings that show five of the major events in the plot of the book you read. Write captions for each drawing so that someone who did not read the book can understand the illustrations.

Write a diary that one of the book’s main personages might have kept before, during, or after the book's events. Remember that the person's thoughts and feelings are very important in a diary.

Write a book review as it would be done for a newspaper. (Be sure you read a few before writing your own. The Sunday papers have good examples of book reviews) Include important details about the book’s themes, author’s writing style, basic plot (don’t give away the ending!) and characters.

Write a feature article (with a headline) that tells the story of the book as it might be found on the front page of a newspaper in the town where the story takes place.

Create a newspaper for your book. Summarize the plot in one article; cover the weather in another, do a feature story on one of the more interesting characters in another. Include an editorial and a collection of ads that would be pertinent to the story.

Interview a character. Write at least ten questions that will give the character the opportunity to discuss his/her thoughts and feelings about his/her role in the story.

Be a TV or radio reporter, and give a report of a scene from the book as if it is happening "live."

Write an account of what you would have done had you been one of the people in the book. Explain how it is the same or different than what really happened and why you would have made those choices.

Research and write a two-page report on the geographical setting of your book. Create a map showing the location of some of the significant events of the book.

You are a prosecuting attorney putting one of the people from the book you read on trial for a crime or misdeed. Prepare your case on paper, giving all your arguments.

Pick a national issue. Compose a speech to be given on that topic by one of the major people in the book you read. Be sure the contents of the speech reflect the person’s personality and beliefs.

6. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Jan 28, 2008

My classes have made movie posters on their novels, life size models of the characters (they also had to complete a character study with this), collages, illustrated timelines, wind socks, interviews, and travel booklets. Also, if you go to google and type in "creative book reports", you will find so much more info. Good luck!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2008

Make a board game based on a novel. My 5th graders did this every year. The base of the game should reflect the settings in the book. The directions cards should include all the major events in the book. Example: Maggie told her teacher that she wouldn't write in cursive. Go back 5 spaces. (Number the directions cards in the lower corner so that you can check for the story line, if you want to.)

They can make player pieces or use ready made pieces from another game. The directions must be written out coherently, and there must be a way to win the game.

8. kristina

kristina New Member

May 7, 2008

Have the students create a book cover that visually represents the theme of the book. Inside the cover, have them include topics such as: POV, characterization, summary, etc...

9. AuNaturale

AuNaturale Rookie

May 7, 2008

They could make a soundtrack for the novel....song per chapter or so. Then have them write a paper explaining their choices.