Outrageous? To me it is.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Securis, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 20, 2010

I heard this story through the grapevine and I'm not sure how accurate it is but I thought I'd get some opinions about it. I heard that a 1st grader at a nearby school had been sick for a few days with a stomach virus but that the student had gotten much better and had a good day at school without incident following the illness. Everything seemed fine so the parents sent the student on to school for the last day before the holiday. On the way the student became ill, both vomiting and having diarrhea. The student is on the bus, so what can the bus driver do but take this child on to school. Once there, the student is told to go to the office where the student has to self-report the incident. Who knows what is said or understood. Then the student is sent on to class. No phone call is made and this poor student is forced to wear those soiled clothes until time to go home which fortunately was an early release time of 11 a.m. That's from about 6-7ish until 12ish? Five or six hours?

If I were the parents of this child, I'd be outraged.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2010

I know if that were my child I would be one mad momma bear.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 20, 2010

I would be upset too. I'm wondering why this child's classroom teacher did not notice and that another student didn't say anything about the smell.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2010

If it is true, this momma lion would have been at the school in someone's face...and quickly!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2010

Wow! That would be awful! I sure hope it isn't true!

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2010

This is awful. I remember bus driver's radio- ing to the school (or bus garage) to tell them that a kid was sick. Some bus driver's would walk the kids up or would sit on the bus to make sure they could get in ok.

I would be so TICKED off if I was the parents!!!

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 20, 2010

And possibly litigatiously so!

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 20, 2010

That poor child! My brother had an accident on himself at school (food poisoning from the night before that caused diarrhea while he was in class the next day) and it seriously tramatized him. He's in his late 30s and he still gets the willies and doesn't like to talk about it because he was so embarassed.

AND he didnt even have to sit in his dirty pants all day. He was allowed to go straight to the nurse.

Told through the grapevine, that story could have easily turned into the one you told us. I certainly hope it's not true because if it is, I would go OFF on the school and be one of those hideous, yelling parents you don't make eye contact with when theyre in the office. :eek:

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2010

how did teacher not know???? if it really were diarhea?

11. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 20, 2010

That is horrible.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2010

I think that there is probably more to the story or it has been exaggerated. I would think that a teacher or a roomful of students would notice that a kid smelled like diarrhea all day.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 20, 2010

That's what I thought. Also, why didn't the child ask to go to the nurse? I remember in first grade asking to go to the nurse when I was sick.

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 20, 2010

A couple of years ago, I had a student poop his pants on the playground. He never asked to go in to the office or even the bathroom. I was not on duty. When I took the kids in from recess we took a bathroom break. I smelled the little boy and took him aside to ask if he had an accident. He told me no. I thought maybe he didn't wipe. Later when the little girl sitting next to him made a comment about him stinking, I called him to my desk and asked again if he had had an accident. He told me no. I then asked him if he wanted to call his mother. He said no. I did send him to the office with a note, but the secretary got the same answers as I had, and no one answered when the secretary called home. So he had to stay in school. The next day the mother came in and made a scene. I am not sure what I was suppose to do, but according to her I embarrassed her child. He had several accidents that year, and I wouldn't let him return to the classroom until his mother was contacted.

15. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 20, 2010

Applying adult reasoning to a child in an embarrassing situation? A completely foreign situation to anything that they might have known prior to that day? I don't think it's going to work recalling your memory of the first grade and applying it to a different child in your day or in this day. Children do and don't do most everything without adequate or quantifiable reasons. If children put much thought into reasons they'd be adults. Did this child know there was a nurse? Was she told to wait? 1st graders are quite compliant with adults they trust or are possibly afraid of when they think they might get in trouble for doing something wrong. I don't think it much matters what happened after the student arrived at school and supposedly reported her situation to the office. Why wasn't a phone call made to a parent?

I agree there are too many unknowns but I didn't get a sense that the story was exaggerated. Ifs are big in this situation. If the child didn't report? If the child reported only part of the problem? If there were no smell? If the child remained silent? If. If. If. If this story is untrue in part or whole, then it's sure to get explained by some well-meaning and helpful school officials. If just the vomiting is true and at worst the diarrhea is true, then some adult somewhere should face the consequences of making a bad decision. Either way, I wouldn't want to be the person who erred on the side of skepticism placing a child in that type of situation.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2010

Obviously if school officials were aware of the problem and knowingly left a student to spend the day in his soiled clothing, that is outrageous.

What I think is more likely, however, is that some sort of miscommunication occurred. Probably, the student just didn't say what happened or denied it when asked about it. School officials can't be expected to figure out that something is wrong; they can't just divine that information. If the parents felt that the student was well enough to attend school, it seems reasonable that school officials might also take a look at him and also think he is well enough to be there.

This sounds like a sad and unfortunate situation, but I don't think it's necessarily one where someone is to blame.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 20, 2010

No, I wouldn't blame the child in this case. It just seems like an unlikely story. Or some facts were distorted.

18. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 21, 2010

I definitely find it hard to believe so many school officials could be so negligent about a situation like this. I know each district is different and urban schools are especially different from rural ones, but it would be almost impossible for something like this to actually happen in our district and I would like to think the same is true for most districts.

IF the story is true, then the bus driver was completely negligent for sending the child to "self report" the incident at the office. Again, I work in a very rural district so my experience may be different, but at our school, the bus driver would have walked the kid to the office and reported the incident to the secretary and/or P or AP. Even in an urban setting, the driver should - at the very least - radio the school office (NOT the bus garage) and make sure someone there knows what happened with the child on the way to school. The school should then have sent someone to meet the kid and take them to the office (if bus drivers aren't able or allowed to do that).

Once in the office, there is NO WAY any responsible P or AP is just going to send a kid with soiled clothes to class all day because they couldn't reach the parents. Instead, they should let the kid stay in the office and, if possible, offer him/her clean clothes to change into (our school often uses unclaimed clothes from Lost and Found for this). They also should have KEPT calling until they reached someone connected to the child; parent, grandparent, etc. Most schools have secondary contacts listed in case they can't reach the primary parent or caregiver.

I'm not saying it's impossible for something like this to happen, but it does sound very unlikely.

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 21, 2010

Was this my nephew?:lol: My nephew had a couple of accidents when he was in Grade 1 and refused to admit that he did to both his teacher and daycare staff. I'm sure he found it more embarrassing to admit it than to sit in it all day.