Outline of Kindergarten year & other K ??

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jlj, May 1, 2008.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

May 1, 2008

1. Would you please share your scope & sequence or outline of the Kindergarten year, what is introduced/taught when? I'm really looking for specifics, letters/sounds, sight words, special sounds, numbers, counting, addition/subtraction, science, social studies, etc., etc..maybe month by month.:help:
    2. [U]Grading[/U]- do you use letter grades, happy/straight/sad faces, etc. on papers? What about report cards?
    3. Student planners[/U]- do you require these of your Kinder students? Do you write assignments, etc or have them do it? Other ways you use a student planner? If you don't have an aide, how do you find time to write in each one every day? :eek:hmy:
    4. Homework- how often do you give homework? Do you send a packet the first of the week, due back at the end of the week or send it home as you want them to do it?
    5. Do you have reading calendars requiring them to read or be read to every day or do you do read & respond?
    6. Do you provide a class calendar highlighting activities/events each month?
    Thanks for all help!!

3. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

May 1, 2008

We use a standards based report card so the child either gets meets standard, does not meet standard, or not currently being assesed.

We don't use student planners. We a have take home folder that goes back and forth each night.

We do a monthly homework calendar and a montly reading log.

We do a snack calendar, a calendar of events, and newletter each month.

PM me if you want a copy of the homework calendar, newletter, or our pacing calendar for our reading series-that has all the letters/sounds, sight words etc

4. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

May 2, 2008

What's your goal at the end of the year? To get them reading and writing more than one sentence, they NEED to learn high frequency words and letter sounds. Unfortunately, it's not necessarily developmentally appropriate what expect from them, but have high expectations just in case!

The first week of school is primarily procedures, reading stories relating to our first unit in Open Court, "School", and lots of singing/dancing/fingerplays. Remember to teach things like cutting and using the glue the first week. We start our academics the second week. Learning to read/write our names, learning letter names, and learning the numbers 1-5 is our first priority.
    Open Court introduces one letter with the name (capital and lowercase) per day for 26 days. Mid-October, I start letter sounds. We focus on the 26 letter sounds and the 10 vowel sounds. We do not focus on things like CVCe words, or blends like sh, ch, etc. I try to have them master them by mid January. I think we start learning high frequency words in the first month of school (they can't even read their names nor sing the alphabet, how can they master this!) I like to start with the color words, because they are less abstract, but we officially start with the, here, no. They are supposed to know 22 words. They are strange words, and change every year. I suggest: a, I, the, like, we, he, she, has, have, can, here, it, they, you. You want them to memorize words they can use to make sentences. Everyday, we take attendance, and they spell "here." I say the name, they say, "here, h-e-r-e." We also have a sign on the board that is for the bathroom/drinking fountain. We write no or yes on the sign to let them know if they can use those things. Those words are obviously well known in my class!

We do calendar each day. I love calendar! It provides great routines and also allows you to teach many of the standards at the same time. It's laminated, so I write birthdays and special events on the calendar. Our date tags are shapes, so they learn about shapes, but also make a pattern. We do number formation. We count, count, count! By February, we start writing the date out each day. "Today is Thursday, May 1, 2008. It is hot, cold, sunny, foggy, etc." We have 6 grading periods in a school year, so I devote the first two to teach numbers 0-10, then 11-20, then 21-30. The teens are the hardest! I start addition in February, and subtraction in April.

We make weekly homework packets. They have 6 days to complete them. In the beginning, we make name puzzles for each student to take home and practice putting together. Right now, they get about 10 pages of homework per week, plus a reading log for the month. I look over homework to see if it is done and to see if they "got it" but I do not formally grade it. It takes too long. They get either C for complete, I for incomplete, N for not returned. I also put a small L, like an exponent, for late work. We do not have student planners.

I grade in several different manners. They get a sticker or stamp for completing their class work. I will take a marker and correct their work as they go along. The assessments I use are district wide, and we give them points. I look at how many overall points they have, but I also look to see if they mastered the required skill for that grading period. They can have enough points for a passing grade, but maybe they don't know all of their high frequency words for the grading period, so they do not get a passing grade. I try to remember that the grades we give communicate to the parents how ready there children are for first grade. I explain to parents if they have a low grade, they are not "failing" kindergarten, but they may not be developmentally ready (or they need help at home, or they need to try harder, etc) to grow.

If you want a copy of our weekly break down of stuff we teach, just pm me w/ your email. I can probably pm you!

I hope that helps.

5. MrH

MrH Rookie

May 5, 2008

"they get about 10 pages of homework per week"... really?? To me, that seems like a lot!

6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 5, 2008

When I grade papers I put a happy face, star or a sticker. If they didn't do well or need improvements I circle the problem and write return.

As for report cards, we have a district report card with M (mastered), P (progressing), and N (needs additional practice) the hard part of it is simply deciding how you fit into that guideline.

For homework I send home a monthly homework calendar. I do not send home an assignment book. But I try to be very consistent with when things get home. Homework for me goes home every Friday and is due the following Friday. I give one math page, one letter work page, and sometimes a writing page. The other day is discuss with your child... I try not to give too much homework because they are just kids.
    Our school has a school wide reading/listening calendar and that is due at the end of every month.

I also give a newsletter of what is happening and what centers students will work with for the week. It is a lot of effort but I think it is important!

I hope that helps.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 5, 2008

:)

8. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

May 6, 2008

I build up their stamina throught the year. As of second trimester (mid-march), they have 10 pages. It's intended to be 2 pages per school day, but they have the packet for 6 days. I think the work is pretty easy. I watch how long it takes for students to complete their in class work, and base packets on that work.

I've observed classrooms of state run schools. I've seen anything from 1 to 6 pages per day. The most demanding school showed the greatest test score growth. I guess it's working. The community I work in has a strange dynamic, and the homework seems to force parents to pay attention to their children's education. It is hard to be a state school/low performing area.

9. MrH

MrH Rookie

May 7, 2008

I realized that after I posted, it works out to only 2 pages per day - which I feel is fair.

However - I work in a low performance school and a lot of the parents don't care about homework...

10. kdgteacher

kdgteacher New Member

Jun 21, 2008

beckyeduk8er: Will you send me copies of your homework, newsletter, and pacing chart? Thanks

11. kdgteacher

kdgteacher New Member

Jun 21, 2008

SueHue: Would you please send me a copy of your weekly kindergarten break down of what you teach? Thanks

12. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jul 12, 2008

Mr.H I work in a low performing school as well and give a packet on Monday with about 10 pages too. Do you give the children consequences for not bringing the homework? I do and have about 85 to 90% of the children bring the homework back.

13. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

This answers a lot of the questions I had! Would any of you be willing to send me your stuff as well? It would help me out a bunch!