outer space theme

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by otsegogirl27, Jan 24, 2007.

1. otsegogirl27

otsegogirl27 Rookie

Jan 24, 2007

hi,
    i have a monthly theme of outer space coming up and i'm having a little trouble coming up with weekly themes. my kids are 2 1/2 to 3, some aren't as advanced as others, as most classes are haha, but i was wondering what would be a good approach to go about the weekly themes and art ideas.... thank you in advance! :)

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 24, 2007

We just spent 2 weeks on space... one we did on sun and moon, the other on stars and planets. Here are some of the things I did with my 3-yr-olds, so adapt as you see fit. :)

*Drew their face inside a rocketship outline and decorated (we VERY rarely let them do coloring sheets, so they LOVED it!)
    *Made "telescopes" from paper towel tubes... cover one end with black tissue paper or consstruction paper and poke holes in it to see "stars"
    *talked about moon phases and matched them (basic... full moon, half moon, crescent moon)
    *matched suns and moons with letters, #/quantity, shapes, and patterns
    *paper plate suns (glue orange paper strips to the back, then paint the whole thing yellow)
    *glitter stars
    *alien painting... they picked 2 colors and used eyedroppers to do blobs on their paper, then folded it in half, opened back up, and glued on googly eyes (think butterfly prints)
    *crayon-resist night paintings (color with crayon, then brush with black watercolor or VERY watered-down tempra)
    *graphed suns, stars, moons (they were given a handful of pieces and glued in appropriate boxes, then we talked about most/least/equal, etc)
    *patterned with sun, star, planet (ABC pattern)

I know our younger 2's class (with a LOT of teacher help, I'm sure) painted a circle for each of the planets a solid color and glued on paper to make the "Solar system." Our prek class did nerf-type balls with a small paper plate rim to make "Saturn"

Hope that gives you something you can use! :)

4. cokelady

cokelady Rookie

Jan 29, 2007

Craft idea, old cd's and small styrofoam ball, glue ball in the middle of cd, add ribbon for hanging you can add glitter to ball and you just made a planet.My daughter did this at the library a few years ago.We still have it hanging.

5. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Jan 30, 2007

I think outer space for younger students is more of a night and day thing, and less about planets. Planets may be a bit abstract for them. They can see the sun, the moon, and the stars. They can see night and day.
    When I did night and day with my three's, I did a focus on Goodnight Moon. Along with a lot of the great ideas above, we drew night and day pictures (fold paper in half, draw what you do at night on one side, what you do during the day on the other side.) We drew windows using a piece of copy paper. Draw a window on one side, and use a black crayon to make stars on the back. When you hold your window up to the light, the stars show through. You could also talk about shadows with night and day. You can spin around with flashlights to illustrate the movement of the sun and earth.

If you go to http://www.thezulapatrol.com/grownups_teachers.php and click on Jr. Cadet, you can get many printable ideas to use with your children. If that link does not work, go to www.zula.com and click on grownup's galaxy, then on teacher.