outer space centre?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Oh.Wow, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Oh.Wow

Oh.Wow Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

Hi, I'm a student teacher and just wondering if anyone had any open activity ideas for a space themed sensory table/ area for kids between the ages of about 3 and 5? It would really help with my student placements and I'm drawing a blank!

Thanks!

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

I would probably go with sand in the sensory table. Add some different sized rocks, some toy astronauts, and some space vehicles. Give them some tongs to use to pick up the rocks. Some scoops and containers to play with.

4. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

I would focus on the sun, stars and day/night. That's what is most appropriate for the age group. List day/night activities, let the class get dolls ready for bed by reading a story and having bathtime. Practice creating stars via dot-to-dot. Do heat experiments by setting things out in the sun, or under a light. What gets hot/what stays cooler/does black get hotter than white?

If you really wanted to do something with planets, you could get styrofoam circles and have the kids help decorate them, then put them in size order (not actual planet order.)

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Aug 12, 2009

it would be really cool if you could get moon sand--- they sell it in the catalogs. It is really cool as it will hold together under water but falls apart bakc to sand particles when you pick it up out of the water. But sand and different rocks is a good idea and maybe put some small stars (like confetti ones) in it and some magnifying glasses so the kids can look for stars. Put some pictures of the solar system or contellations etc onthe wall next to the sensory table to give it more atmosphere.

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Aug 12, 2009

youould alsomake star gazers by taking paper towel tubes and painting them black and covering one end with aluminum foil and poking tiny holes in the foil. when they look through it while holding i up tothe light they se little in pricks of light (stars). A dsocovery bottle filled with hair gell and tiny stars and beads can be a pretend asteroid belt. A model of the solar system made with styrofoam balls of different sizes and colors can become a puzzle if you velcro the balls onto a pice of black foam poster board so they ahve to match the palnets up to the right locations

7. happypreteach

happypreteach Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I have used moon sand it is really cool - except hard to get out of a rug!!!
    I made a space area in my block area last year. The children could build different space areas and I had astronauts and a "space house" that i had ordered off of Amazon. It also came with a moon vehicle. I also hung a poster up in the area of the solar system. The kids really enjoyed this center and several of them used it for the entire month it was available.