Outdoor School

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by becky, Oct 5, 2011.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2011

Here in our county, we have a program called Outdoor School. County 6th graders stay for a week at a nature center, and do all kinds of nature/science activities. There are also night hikes, owl prowls, and snake programs, among other things. They earned 10 Service Hours, and may earn 10 more by doing a follow up project.

Jeannie attended this and did NOT want to come home at the end of the week! Packing was a challenge, because you could not use wheeled bags. The child was expected to load into duffle bags five complete changes of clothes, three pairs of shoes, pajamas, jackets, 4 days of towels and wash cloths, bedclothes, and toiletries.

She wants to go back as a counselor in 8th grade.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 5, 2011

Aww, these are the memories that make life so great! Sounds like an awesome program!

Up here, 7th/8th grade kids go on a survival trip. They take clothing, sleeping bag, and they are allowed tents. The only other thing they can take is a small coffee can of survival items! They can choose to go easy or hard core. Hard core means they have to find their own food and make their own fire. They have to figure out how to survive on an island. Pretty cool. Of course they have classes ahead of time. But it is a wonderful learning experience (I think it is 3 days).

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2011

In this area they go to the mountains for 6th grade camp. It is often the first time some children have "roughed" it or really been in nature (although they are now cabins). Unfortunately, due to the economy many school districts are cutting this wonderful program.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2011

One of my son's favorite school memories was a fifth grade overnight at a nature/ outdoor experience center.

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2011

We have that too in the Olympic National Forest. The camp is on the shores of the beautiful Lake Crescent. The kids have seen owls, deer, mountain goats, ducks, geese, eagles, and raccooons!!!! I've gone three times and loved it each time!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2011

In CA, there are many wonderful outdoor schools that sixth graders (or fifth graders go to). I went when I was in sixth (our elmentary school went up to sixth grade) and I had a blast!!! We went to an outdoor school that was located on the coast. So pretty!! I always wanted to go back, but moved so many times since then, and the area where I moved to, the kids went to a different camp up in the mountains. But, I now live by it! :)

I'm glad Jeannie had a lot of fun! :)

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 6, 2011

I am so glad to hear that the experiences have been great. My 6th grade GS is going next week.

9. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2011

Believe it or not, when I was a 6th grader I had no interest in going to Outdoor School! It sounded so very boring, lol. Jeannie can't get over that I felt that way.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 6, 2011

My absolute best childhood memories are of outdoor camping and adventures!