Outdoor Day

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by LovetoteachPREK, May 8, 2011.

1. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

May 8, 2011

Someone on here had a great idea - I think it might have been WaProvider - about a whole day outdoors. The rest of our school has a Track and Field day (offsite) in a week and I thought maybe my preschoolers would have an outdoor day. I thought we could do as much as possible outside - choice time, circle time, story, art, etc. We don't usually have a lot of play options outside besides the climbing equipment - but I was thinking of taking a Little Tikes kitchen, a bucket of cars, the sand table...still working on other ideas for that.

So...any great ideas for me? The art part I am finding tricky. We use sidewalk chalk a lot anyway, so I would like to do something different than that. I have almost 20 kids, so taking the easels outside doesn't help too much if I want them all to participate.

Chances are it will be windy...seems like that's all we're getting for weather around here lately.

And I suppose we'll have to go inside for rest time :)

3. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

May 8, 2011

Art ideas:

Side walk chalk paint

painting on the building with brushes and water
    crayon rubbings (sidewalk grooves, pavement, blacktop etc., tree bark, leaves etc.

Other ideas:

Do you have toy cars that the students can ride around in? or trikes?

bubbles

Parachute

fun movement songs

Could you arrange for someone to come and show animals or something special like that? like maybe firefighters who bring a fire truck, etc. or zoo bring animals, or other organization brings animals in etc.

do you have a little pop up tent that you could bring outside that the children could read in? or take a little break in?

Would about some fun noisy instruments?

let the kids explore nature with plastic magnifying glasses

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 8, 2011

I hate it when I type a reply and it goes into cyberspace.

Anyway, maybe the second time is the charm.

I have tables outside that I put playdough, bubbles, blocks, etc. I have an indoor/outdoor carpet for books and/or blocks or cars in the shade. We always have a kitchen or two going. Chalk and water painting are almost daily. I have two water tables for water or sensory stuff.

Any art project you can do inside you can do outside. I have an easel and they just take turns - sometimes paint, sometimes markers. They like butcher paper weighted down for group art. Maybe kites or something they can run around with? The Artful Parent had a cool project the other day using clear packing tape. They collage on it and put another piece over it or fold it in two and hang them from the fence or bushes or trees. Fence weaving with chair webbing or wide ribbon is fun.

The last day of the year I have some parents help me pack and clean and some supervise outside. Kids wear their swimsuits and we have sprinklers on the grass and I flood the sand area to make a big mud pit. Fun! Word of personal warning - expect to get wet. The first year I brought a change of clothes but forgot to bring underwear and a bra. Big mistake as I had to sit through a meeting damp!

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 9, 2011

Have a parent track down a large sheet from Good Will and then take the watercolor paints (not tempra...but that may work as well) put it in spray bottles and shoot it at the sheet (wearing aprons) or blow paint bubbles at the sheet (but I can't EVER get that to work out...I must do the mix wrong).

6. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

May 9, 2011

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 9, 2011

oh, fly swatters! love those. And bungee paint can go outside to the bars.