Outdoor Christmas decorations

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2010

'Tis the season to start thinking about the holidays.

I live in a 2 story Cape with doggy dormers, with a BIG old tree outside the living room window. (I LOVE it!!!) For the past decade or so, I've hung big 2' high oval lighted Christmas ornaments from the tree. I always loved the look because it evoked the memory of those old lights my dad used to put up on our house growing up. They were unique; I got them from the JCPenney catalog and had never seen them on anyone else's house.

But by the end of last year, they were kaput and I threw them out.

So here's my question: what do you suggest we use this year?

Invest in one of the inflatables? (If so, any bargain ideas??) Something else?

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2010

arg, I hate the inflatables. lol. I always like really classy outdoor looks - white lights, maybe wreaths on every window and door. However, I can see doing the more fun look, like the inflatables, if you have kids, and I would think it would be pretty easy to slap one of those things up, although I remember a very very windy Christmas a few years ago where I think people were losing their inflatables.

What about the light up reindeer? Or they make big light globes that might look cool in your tree.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 23, 2010

I'm with you, silverspoon. A wreath with red bow on the door or windows. White lights on bushes or trees. An old red sled with wreath on it propped up by a porch or door. The traditional country look warms my heart.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2010

Can you just string some lights in the tree? I love twinkling white lights...

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2010

I don't decorate at all, so I really don't have a strong opinion either way...but I'm not a fan of the inflatables either.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 23, 2010

I can handle some greenery with bows and/or white lights. That's about as much as I can stand. I hate the inflatables! They might look OK at night, but during the day when they're deflated they look like old rags/trash in the yard.

We don't do outdoor decorations at all. We did the once. I got sick right after we put them up, and I never got to see them lit up at all.

8. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 23, 2010

No inflatables for me either. I like a natural look. I do use clear ice cycle lights on the roof line and lighted garland on the railing.
    I have one big grapevine wreath I hang outside with a red bow. I also like to decorate our front porch with greenery and a tall, skinny St. Nick by the door.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2010

I'm not crazy about the inflatables either, though the kids would definitely vote for one.

But I'm not sure what other direction to look in.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 23, 2010

What kind of big old tree do you have? I, too, love the little white sparkling lights. Just make sure you remove them after Christmas is over.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2010

Add one more vote for no inflatables. I find them so tacky and silly. Simple, classic lights, and pretty wreaths is all you need. Maybe lights up on the tree. Costco has these huge ornaments that might look nice up in your tree.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2010

Can you get lights right up to the top of the tree? Or, what about the reindeer shapes outlined with white lights (does that make sense?) I'm also in the 'no-inflatables' camp--I love lots of lights!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2010

OH, no!!! It's huge! It's a silver maple, and has probably been there since the house was built just after WWII. It's a great climbing tree; you can go up about 10 feet and then then you're stuck, though the tree towers above you.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2010

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2010

That's actually very similar to what we're replacing, except that our old ones were multi-colored (red, purple and blue) and oval, not round. But I always got the kids to climb the tree around Thanksgiving to put the lights up.

Of course a month and a half later, when it was time to take them down, the weather was sometimes an issue. A number of times I would have all of Christmas all put away, and that lone one or two ornaments still on the snow/ice covered tree at the end of January.

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2010

I have some inflatables. Kids love them. Right now I have 4 connected jackolanterns in my yard that light up (inflatable)
    And the kids think their are great.
    I do all kinds of outdoor stuff. I go at it each year trying to create new stuff with lots of lights and trees and even the inflatables (did I mention kids love them). I have fence I string lights on and then create an arch with garland and lights over my gate to walk under. I have been doing lots of outdoor stuff for over twenty years.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2010

My dad has one with Santa on a tractor with Rudolph leading the way. And he is so proud of it, too. :huh:

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2010

Some of the inflatables are adorable.

I just HATE how they look during the day-- as though they've melted into a mess on the lawn.

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 23, 2010

I'm another vote against the inflatables.

I saw these stars in the ABC Distributing catalog and thought they were pretty: 40" Lighted Stars

Also, "Christmas Balls" are really big in this area, and you can make them yourself. If your family enjoys doing crafty things together, this is a pretty easy project to do: Christmas Balls DIY

20. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 24, 2010

Yes, I agree about the inflatables in the daytime...no fun!

You can hang giant ornaments in your tree. There is a neighbor with a huge tree that does that, it looks really good.

I would go for the light up guys...I saw a bunch at target.com that were so adorable. Or you could even put some light up mini Christmas trees along your walkway. Or hang lighted snowflakes in the tree...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

I love the snowflakes in the picture above!

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2010

I would also go with the more permanent light up figures. I like the inflatables, but the problem in my neighborhood is the wandering cats who spend their nights purposefully meandering from yard to yard looking for an inflatable to sharpen their claws on! Lots of money to toss down the drain.

23. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 24, 2010

Now those decorations are cute!

24. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 24, 2010

Oh, Miss Wull, those are so cute!!!

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

26. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 24, 2010

Alice, those penguins at Target that you posted...I've seriously considered buying those, they look SO cute! I think they would go really well with those light up walkway penguins too.

I think this site has a lot of cool decorations that are different. It's www.christmaslightsetc.com

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The red sphere would look cool in a tree, and you can get tons of different colors. Those pointy stars would look really awesome too. They have snowflakes on the site as well, but they're pretty pricey.

27. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2010

I should see if I can get my dad an inflatable like that...it would probably make his Christmas season.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

I just wonder how tall they are; the site doesn't say. Of course, there's a Target down the block, but they still have Halloween out. It will be a week or so before they're showing Christmas.

Right now I'm thinking of either of the 2 trees from Walmart, maybe with the Penguins markers???

29. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2010

I vote no on the inflatabes as well.

I like the snowflake idea as it could stay up WELL past Christmas.

My favorite home is with large, wide wreaths with white lights.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2010

OK, so I caved in.

I ordered a Christmas tree I like:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/6-Tall-LED-Light-Show-Mulit-Color-Sparkle-Tree/12164867 (the reviews were great!)

and a small inflatable that the kids will like (Peter too, since he loves penguins)
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gemmy-Airblown-Inflatable-Penguin-Snowball-Fight-Scene-4-Tall/14825930

While I was at it, I got each of the kids a beanbag chair-- round ones for the girls and a video game from Brian.

All for $147, including tax and delivery to the store 2 miles away.

Now everyone has something that looks big for Christmas :)

31. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010

I never even thought about putting something out in my yard (since it is the first year I will have one) so this thread definitely got me thinking.