Outcome Of District Restructuring

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DressageLady, Apr 11, 2015.

1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 11, 2015

Some of you may remember my thread from a week or so ago, where I discussed my shock and concern regarding the impact a sudden district restructuring would have on my school and my career. Short and sweet: new superintendent wants all elementary schools to carry no more than three classes at every grade level. There were three grade levels at my school that had four teachers each, so they had to shed some teachers.

It took a week, which was the longest week ever. I swear it lasted a month. At least. We were informed on Thursday of the staffing decision reached. I have been renewed for next year, at my current grade level (first) and in my current building. My team had to lose a member to reach the three teacher limit. The teacher we lost has been shifted to second grade, but also stays in the building.

Somewhere in the building is a teacher who lost her job and won't be returning. That teacher has obviously been notified, but she hasn't identified herself and the P hasn't said either. We were told as grade level teams, and only told about our own grade level.

You could almost hear the release of tension in the building. Although there was a lot of sadness at teams being broken up and at knowing someone has lost their job, the relief of knowing what was going to happen was a huge improvement over not knowing. As a first year teacher, with no seniority and no history of trust with admin, I felt like I had a big target on my back. I am amazed that I was kept. Not just kept at my grade level, but kept in the school at all. I think I have done well, especially for a first year teacher. But even still, I have often felt like dead weight on my team. You don't know what you don't know until you actually start teaching and your team ends up putting in extra effort to support you as you learn the ropes.

Anyway, I thought I would share here. I had laid out my tale of woe when we were first told of the upcoming changes and I wanted to share my outcome, too.
    Sheilah

3. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 11, 2015

I'm happy for you that you get to keep your job. I'm sure you're very relieved. :)

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2015

Glad things worked out for you.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 11, 2015

Exhaling in relief on your behalf. I know how much you went through to get and maintain this position.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 11, 2015

Happy for you. The teacher who "lost" their job may have taken the opportunity to switch buildings or even retired or may have known that for some reason they wouldn't be returning next year.

7. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 11, 2015

LOL, you could hear my exhalation for miles! I hope that the teacher who is leaving lands on her feet.
    Sheilah

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2015

Congrats... I also hope good things for the unknown teacher.:hugs:

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2015

I'm glad you got to keep your job. As far as the district goes, what are their plans if there are too many children in a grade level? And as far as the teacher who was let go, that teacher may have already decided to leave and just didn't tell any one yet. At my school this year, at least five teachers have decided to leave, but haven't notified admin yet.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 11, 2015

Just knowing something helps. Congrats on staying, and in the same grade!

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Apr 11, 2015

Glad that it worked out for you. I know that was very stressful for sure. I think it's interesting that you guys were asked to indicate your preference but could not ask for the same grade level, yet nobody was shifted out to a different grade level other than the "extra person". Unless other grade levels in the school were shifted around.

12. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 11, 2015

Yes, there were other shifts within the building. There were three grade levels that were over-staffed: first, second and third. Each needed to go from four teachers down to three. So one of my first grade team members got shifted up to second. But to make way for her, and still stay at three teachers, two second grade teachers had to shift out.

We still haven't had a building-wide announcement yet. I think we might get that when we meet for our building-wide PD on Wednesday. Or maybe the information will be included in the P's weekly e-mail that gets sent out on Monday mornings.

The idea is that enrollment will even out throughout the district. Some grade levels will have an increase in class size. Like in first grade at my school. Other classes will see a decrease, like in fourth grade at my school, where they'll go from two classes to three.

I think that increase from two classes to three at fourth is what enabled my P to only lose one teacher from the building. The retirement was at fourth, too. So that basically opened two classrooms up in the building: one from retirement and one due to increasing the classes at that grade level.

I was gratified to have my P tell me that she knew she wanted to keep me in the building, which was the first decision she had to make. And then the second decision was keeping me at first, since she didn't think it was fair to move a new teacher out of a successful grade level team.
    Sheilah

13. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 11, 2015

I think they want to move away from open enrollment and really push the idea of neighborhood schools. In theory, three classes at each grade level, in each building, should cover all students in the district and keep class size down to a consistent 25-32 students throughout the district. They want to more evenly distribute the students throughout all the schools.

Of course, they also might try this and discover it doesn't work as neatly as they thought it would. Lord knows, it wouldn't be the first time something didn't work as well as first thought.
    Sheilah

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2015

25-32 kids? :eek: tell me you get an aide with those numbers.

15. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Apr 11, 2015

Im glad you still have a job.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2015

Happy for you, but know that the teacher who will be leaving is hurting right now. So hard to get through the rest of the year knowing that sooner or later everyone will feel strange around you, because they don't know what to say.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 12, 2015

Whether "everyone will" necessarily act odd around the OP is something I'd hesitate to predict without knowing much more about this school and its culture.

18. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 12, 2015

Nope. This is a Title I school, and we get as much support from them as possible. But only the ERRs have dedicated aides. Not even the two RRs have dedicated aides.
    Sheilah

19. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Apr 12, 2015

I think she was referencing the teacher who is leaving feeling weird because the rest of us won't know what to say or how to act.

I think this is a great group of people, and we'll take our cue from whoever it is that is leaving. If they want to talk about it, then we'll talk about it. And if they don't, we won't. It could have been any of us.
    Sheilah

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2015

That's how I understood the post as well. It is difficult when someone finds out they have been let go and despite all the good wishes and empathizing, it's hard when planning starts for the next year and that cut teacher is still present.:(

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2015

It also really depends on the situation, though. Maybe the teacher was already considering not coming back. Maybe they are retiring, or leaving full-time teaching, or moving. If it is truly a case of one person being let go, then it will be difficult. But there are many reasons it may not be.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2015

Absolutely.