Out with the Old and In with the New

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherSandra, May 30, 2009.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 30, 2009

Something Old: Is there something that just didn't work this year that you will definitely be scratching out?

And...is there

Something New: Are you excited about something that you are dying to begin doing/using next school year?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 30, 2009

Something old - hmm. I'll have to think on that.

Something new - new techniques I learned at an autism training session that I went to back in April... being more positive, getting kids to do what you ask with specific steps, etc.

4. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

May 30, 2009

Something old - The arrangement of the computer lab is just not working for me. Must rearrange furniture!

Something new - I am excited to change my AR wall for next year. It has been hot air balloons and airplanes for the past two years. I ordered all sorts of Harry Potter "stuff" to use next year. I hope the students like it as much as I do!

5. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 31, 2009

Something old - Luckily, I didn't have much this year that just didn't work. Well, I did, but I took care of it in October when I started doing the Daily 5! :)

Something new - Writing notebooks, reading conferences following CAFE strategies, and GLAD strategies I learned at my training this week - they will be particularly effective for my ESL students. I can't wait to see their progress!

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 31, 2009

Giving a lot of homework that I had to spend hours after school grading. And too many notes. :(

Experiment WITH the students, since I teach 4 sections I will be getting my own science notebook for each class (either I or another student can take notes into my notebook), less of me--- more of my students. More personal interest in the topics, instead of me directing them so much. I'm VERY excited about my 2nd year of teaching. :thumb:

7. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 31, 2009

I *Love* GLAD : )

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 31, 2009

I'm changing grade levels, so I guess I'm throwing out a lot of old stuff. Metaphorically anyway. Out with Am. hist. (boo!), out with science (yee haw!), out with all sorts of stuff. In with 6th grade writing, reading, and religion.

New stuff I'd like to try but have no idea how to make them work: free writing in journals, poetry unit, SSR, writers' workshop in a more pure sense of the term. And literature circles-different books for different groups and abilities. Time is the mitigating factor here, and I have no clue how to incorporate these in a way that does them justice.

9. glen

glen Companion

May 31, 2009

Old- not sure yet. It'll be my third year in 7th/8th grade and we're revamping schedules and course options, but not much has been completely finalized yet.

New- we're going 1:1 with laptops next year. I'm so excited to bring things into the 21st century for our small private school. The best part, I think, will be the significant reduction in paper use!

10. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

May 31, 2009

Old: My Pirates room theme. It's time they set sail for another room.

New: More Power Teaching Techniques like Teach! Okay!

11. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 31, 2009

Old: I tried using check books for a behavior/economic system in my classroom. It was to much work! The kids loved it, but I hated it and didn't keep up with it very well. Won't do that again.

New: If my custodian can get me enough round tables, I'm getting rid of my desks and using tables and cubbies. I may hate it, but I have to try.

12. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 31, 2009

Out: I will not be pushing AR next year. It will be available for students who want to use it, but I am not going to keeping track of points or word count next year.

In:

1) SSR and allowing students to choose to read about any topic they want. They will have have notebooks to write about what they have read. I did a book study (Marzano's building background knowledge) recently and I'm excited to implement some of things I learned.

2) Emphasis on vocabulary and have students keep vocabulary notebooks.

3) Teach QAR (Question Answer Relationship)

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 2, 2009

We went through AR training this spring, but I don't know when we will implement the program. When we do, I will get rid of my book report assignments and come up with something else. I am considering Book Bingo or something to encourage them to read from many different genres. I don't know if we will use AR as part of their grade in reading or not. I do need to get better at the Power Teaching. I started last year using it, but then I got lazy when I had to sit and think of all the different hand gestures for everything. The kids got lazy about responding properly to the Class! Yes! even though I used that all the time. I didn't keep up with the smileys/frownies like I should have either.

14. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jun 2, 2009

This is for gooop - just something to think about - round tables can lead to chaos if there is a lot of talking, because half of the kids will have their backs to you and it could be hard to spot the culprit(s).

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 2, 2009

Old: I say this every year, but this year I mean it - I will be more organized next year!

New: I'm stealing czacza's idea for a poetry celebration at the end of the year - inviting parents to hear the poems the kids wrote, always looking for something I can invite the parents to do.

I will have the children of 3 staff members next year, so I better be top of my game!

hernando - you know i read they don't want teachers doing any pirate stuff in class because of the problems they had with actual pirates this year - they say it glorifies pirating. So guess what my theme is going to be next year :whistle:...I'm such a rebel!

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 4, 2009

You stinker you!
    My "theme" is going to have something to do with feet. They are all over the desk plates. Step into 6th grade, Take the Next Step of the Journey, Putting Our Best Foots Forward, something along those lines.

17. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jun 5, 2009

What is GLAD?

18. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

I'm really going to have to give this some thought. A lot of what I did is getting stagnant and starting to deteriorate so a total revamp is in order. That could be a silver lining to losing my entire grade level to layoffs and having involuntarily transferred teachers coming in.

19. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2009

Something old: the centers will be rethought and retooled.

Something new: I have all summer to think about that :)

20. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 6, 2009

Old: my way of handling absences and the make up work. For some reason, I really struggle with keeping up with who owes me what after they ahve been absent. I came on here this moring to search old threads about this. :)

New: new grade, Cafe, a stronger confidence in myself since this is my 2nd year teaching--I really overanalyzed EVERYTHING this first year. :)

21. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2009

Old--we're doing away with the really expensive daily planners. They cost over $800!!!!

Old---I'm getting rid of my current schedule poster and getting a newer one.

new: more power teaching (I know, it's got a new name now)
    new: weekly communication via news letter or such to parents
    new: hopefully a website!!!