Out on Maternity Leave

Discussion in 'General Education' started by iamjess03, Dec 23, 2012.

1. iamjess03

iamjess03 Rookie

Dec 23, 2012

I'll be out for 6 weeks. I teach English to grades 6-12. What kind of work do you leave the substitute while you are out on maternity leave? How do you handle it all?

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 23, 2012

I am on maternity for the rest of the year. I left 2 weeks of plans and she will do the rest of the year. I would leave the stuff you normally cover.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 23, 2012

I am out until the middle of January. I had to leave all my lessons for my entire leave. Check with your principal to see what your requirements are. I followed our pacing guides to make my plans.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

We are required to leave plans for one week if we go on an expected long term leave. I left my plans for the entire leave. I prefer this, especially if you are going back this year, because then you know what the students are learning and have a little easier transition back.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 23, 2012

I will be returning from an 8 week medical leave on January 2nd. I left 1 week of plans plus 1 complete science unit, 1 complete social studies unit, 8 weeks of spelling lists, math facts run off for 6 weeks, plus a unit for our balanced literacy program (character traits). We are using the Common Core Listening and Speaking curriculum and I had 2 of the modules ready to go with notes on all of the books and assessments. I also had morning worksheets run off, journal prompts ready to go, and guided reading group stories at the ready. It took me almost 3 weeks of late nights to be ready but that is how I am. I was very fortunate to have an excellent LTS who was familiar with all of our programs. She also spent 2 days with me prior to me leaving in November. PS. She was required to do parent/teacher conferences after 1 week and my progress reports. I never once had any doubts as to how my class was handled. I attended the class holiday party on Friday and I couldn't have been happier or more proud of all of the accomplishments of my students and my LTS.

7. iamjess03

iamjess03 Rookie

Dec 23, 2012

Maternity

Yes I definitely have to make the lesson plans but I wanted to know if you made things simpler since you won't be there or continued with how you would run things. Do you also have the sub grade everything? My sub seemed worried about handling grading.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

I had the sub run things as similar to how I would run things in my classroom. I also ask that they keep all procedures the same. My long term subs have always taken care of grading and any reports due during my leave. Any assignment that is given while I am out is the responsibility of the sub to grade.

9. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Dec 23, 2012

I just started a 12 week maternity leave this past week. I was left the pacing guide, all of the teacher's materials from last year, all of the teacher's log ins for the various sites, where the kids left off, and about 3-5 teachers regularly checking in on me and offering to help. Other than that I am totally on my own. I'm allowed to use her plans or redo them all.

Frankly, I'm glad I'm grading everything myself, it is a lot easier to see where the kids are and what they need to work on.

10. iamjess03

iamjess03 Rookie

Dec 23, 2012

iamjess03

thanks for the input everyone!

11. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 23, 2012

Congrats!!!