Out of work for 9 years. Would that work against me applying for Substitute Teaching?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Californiaguy66, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Californiaguy66

Californiaguy66 Rookie

Feb 10, 2022

Hi

I have just passed all the required stuff to begin Substitute Teaching here in California. I have been out of work since 2013 when I reinjured a work injury taking care of my dying dad. So this year I would try something new and did the requirements and was told I can apply to the districts.

Out of 3 different districts one does not request past work history and the other 2 do.

I am thinking my very large gap is going to work against me.
    Should I apply for the 2 later that require work history and just work the one that doesnt hopefully there is enough work?

Thanks

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2022

My district is so desperate for subs, that they wouldn’t care at all.

4. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Feb 10, 2022

Just in general I would say applying for a given job doesn't hurt. And a gap in work means you do have a work history, just not recent. We're you teaching before?

Californiaguy66 likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2022

OP, you had an injury that kept you from working. The options include staying out of the work force, or, in your case, finding a job that gives you a chance to earn a salary without once again becoming injured, unable to work. Take the interviews, don't apologize for having been injured, but do be prepared to explain why you are excited to be taking these steps forward, once again being able to do the job, earning a salary. I believe that most school districts are glad to give people a second (and more) chances to do the job despite past health issues. Let me wish you the best of luck and fingers are crossed that you will snag a job that you can excel in and love for a long time.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  6. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Feb 11, 2022

With the current sub shortage I can’t imagine too many districts or schools will care. Plenty of subs around here are retired teachers, moms who want a relatively easy day job with the same hours as their kids’ school, new grads, etc. I didn’t even have an interview for either district I subbed in — I applied, they called, I did paperwork and training and that was it. As long as you’re qualified for the job, you don’t have a criminal record, and you show up for the jobs you take, you’ll be fine.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 11, 2022

It sounds like you have a legitimate reason for a gap in your work history. I wouldn't be too concerned especially since most places really need subs.

8. Chocolaccino

Chocolaccino Rookie

Feb 13, 2022

I agree with vickilyn - put the focus on the future. I know of several teachers with gaps in their work history because they stayed at home until their children were in school and then returned to teaching. Sometimes it was just a few years. In one case, it was 12 years (she waited until her youngest of four was in school.) This was pre-Covid and all those people got jobs when they were ready to go back, so I imagine like everyone else here said, it will be even easier now due to Covid-related shortages. Can employers even ask questions about it without violating your freedom of privacy? Personally I don't think it is any of their business. All that matters is you are ready to move forward now. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

9. Californiaguy66

Californiaguy66 Rookie

Jan 23, 2023

I am sorry I did not get the alerts to here. I just came back now. I did get hired and was working steady. I worked for a 2 hour on the 13th and have not been called back and the alerts are not.

vickilyn likes this.
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2023 at 4:00 AM

I love a happy ending, or, in this case, new beginnings! :hugs: