Out of the mouth of babes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChristyF, Jan 20, 2015.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 20, 2015

We've had these threads before, and it's always good for a laugh. The funny things kids say:
    I'll start it with one of mine. One of the resource kids that comes to me for science and social studies got mad at one of my other students in the hall and called him a hairy b*stard. (I've had kids call others all sorts of names, but never that one.) I got onto him and asked him if he knew what it meant. He said no, so I asked him if he knew that it was a bad word. He said, "yea, that's what Mamaw calls papaw when she's mad at him." :rolleyes:

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jan 20, 2015

The funniest I had recently was... far less innocent, but still funny as heck (to me, anyway). My class and I were sharing "good times" and one student's good time was that a boy she'd been "talking to" had called her last night and they'd talked for hours. When I asked she didn't get brave and just ask him out, she said "ni**a, please" and then just stopped dead. Obviously, she didn't mean to refer to me so.... informally (not to mention my practically translucent whiteness). She turned bright red and the class just lost it, howling, falling out of their seats. She couldn't apologize quickly enough and just kept stammering worse and worse, trying to make sure I wasn't offended. I kept a straight face just long enough to make her worry (and stammer some more) and then cracked up myself. It took a good five minutes to settle everyone down. My kids are generally really good about respectful language, so it was pretty funny in its random inappropriateness.

4. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jan 20, 2015

I had one today come up to me and in complete innocence (in front of the rest of his fourth grade peers), he told me he needed to go to the restroom so he could "fix his underpants".

Not exactly sure what was wrong with them, and I didn't want to ask. I just nodded and told him to go.

:confused:

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 20, 2015

Ok, this one is definitely less innocent. This happened in a more mature junior / senior class.
    We were writing an essay, and I was explaining to them how a rough draft is supposed to look like: things crossed out, added, noted, marked, basically rough, not clean. A male student innocently said: oh I thought I was supposed to crumble up my paper to make it look rough. We laughed, I said " no it doesn't need to be that rough". he asked "oh, you don't like it that rough?" and I just replied "no, I don't".
    I acted like I was only referring to the paper, and ignoring the implied meaning,(I didn't even catch it in that moment, only the moments after) he quietly laughed (in disbelief), and then the whole 1st row was just smiling like crazy. So basically the majority of the class didn't know what was going on, but then I just started laughing and couldn't stop.
    Fortunately no one took it further and never even mentioned it again. It happened so fast, neither one of us thought about it, it was kind of like an accident lol.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2015

This is a sweet one that happened today. I asked a 5 year old what she did this weekend and she couldn't remember. I asked if she just hung out with her mom and dad and she said yes, and that she wished it would happen forever and ever. I told her dad because it was so sweet. :angel:

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 20, 2015

Then today this 16 year old tells me that his mom scratched him. i asked how that happened, he said that he was sleeping and laying on his bed. On the shelf above him there was a huge glass mug (super heavy) with water and he was starting to drink out of it, but it slipped, fell on him, and because it was so heavy, it kinda hurt him. he got mad, got up, cursing and going crazy, he threw the mug on the floor and started throwing things everywhere (!!) His mom came in, kinda freaked out, started yelling at him and asked if he was on drugs, what's going on with him. And, according to the student, she started beating him up, which I know is an exaggeration, this mom is not abusive, and the kid doesn't do drugs either.
    In his mind his mom 'beat' him because he dropped the mug. I explained to him that actually his mom did that because he started throwing things and she thought he was on drugs (big difference). She actually scratched him accidentally.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 20, 2015

Me on Thursday: [Student's name], is your mom still coming in tomorrow?

[Student]: No. No I don't know. Maybe. Yeah, I think so. Yeah she is. [brief pause]. Wait... my MOM is coming into school??? Why???

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 21, 2015

Hahahahahha. Typical. And so cute.