Out of the Blue

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teach57, Sep 11, 2007.

1. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

Out of the blue, I received a call for an interview for a position I applied for over a month ago. I'm waiting to finalize the interview time because I missed the call and had to call back...leaving a message letting her know I was interested in the interview. It's a long-term sub position, but still something. I hope I can get this interview scheduled and do well in it! I just want a chance to teach! Any help with interview questions for 4/5 split and responsive classroom would be greatly appreciated! Wish me luck!

3. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

Update: Interview is set for tomorrow afternoon. I had to cancel a sub job I took to take the interview. Hopefully it will all be worth it! I could really use a steady paycheck to pay bills and the EXPERIENCE!!! I'm excited too because they said if I come early (always do) I'll get to see a copy of the interview questions. I've been on my share of interviews and I have never been able to see the questions beforehand. Hope it helps!

4. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Sep 11, 2007

I would love to see the interview questions beforehand. What a great incentive to get to an interview early! Good luck and let us know what the questions were.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2007

Good luck! Let us know how everything goes!

6. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

Good luck!

7. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 11, 2007

Yea, i wish you well on that interview tomorrow. I'm seeing now how sometimes (for WHATEVER reason(s)) things take a while to happen. And the jobs you apply for today, come through tomorrow-but no one ever tells you that tomorrow isn't literal tomorrow, it's figurative for any time after today-which could mean next year!

MAN-patience is something else! But i'm sure you'll do fine with the questions. And, i wasn't early today, but the principal did show me the interview questions (which were on the other side of the writing sample questions). I read them so they wouldn't be a surprise, but they weren't difficult at all. And it definitely does help if the interviewer smiles and nods or gives you some sort of approval acknowledgment.

8. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

mstemple05-I know what you mean about the smile and nod. I was in an interview once and I was getting nothing from the principal. I feed off the energy they give back on questions and it's a terrible feeling to be "talking to a brick wall." I hope today's interview will be great! I'm currently waiting/anticipating for the interview to happen. It's not until this afternoon. There's only so many time you can look through your things and go over interview questions before it happens. Think positive thoughts today!

9. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 12, 2007

You'll do fine. Don't over do the questions, you'll run yourself ragged trying to get yourself prepared. Just relax, whisper a little "give the right words" prayer and keep it moving! Kind of like a test that you've been staring at for the past 20 mins even though you're done. After a while you have to turn it in and just hope you put down SOME right answers.

Fortunately I interviewed with an EXTREMELY NICE CEO today.......
    She smiled, nodded, said "oh yes" "good good" to all of my answers. I felt SO relaxed in this interview today. I was speaking to this woman like i KNEW what i was doing-and i've NEVER taught this subject before! But i'm really good at it (it's for English and i've only taught Spanish). Maybe i'm just a wordsmith. Hmmmm

I wish you well.. And PLEASE let us know how it goes. Waiting sucks. Especially when you're excited and waiting for the interview. That's nerve-wrecking!

10. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 12, 2007

Did i mention i HATE waiting??

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2007

mstemple, mind if I ask a ?...do you like to wait?!? :toofunny::p

12. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 12, 2007

Hmmmm,

Let me think about that.

And i'll have my people call your people.

13. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

You all are too funny!! I love it! :lol:

Well...as for the interview. I felt like a mumbling idiot at first. I was really nervous when I walked in the room. Maybe it was because there were 5 sets of eyes on me and I've never had an interview crowd that big. As the interview went on, I was getting into a better grove. Each questions I really tried to give an example of how I did things previously and tossed in things about the school I learned in my research. I think they were impressed with how much I already know about the school. (I sure did my homework! ;) ) I also think they were impressed with the questions I asked at the end and how interested I was in their school. I left the interview feeling like I always do...thinking of other things I could have said, but knowing that I gave it 110%.

I think the school would be wonderful to work at. It seems as though the teachers have a lot more creative choice in their teaching. The staff was super friendly and a place I would fit in well.

So....now I'm in the same "waiting" boat as you mstemple05. They plan on making a decision by either Friday or Monday. Usually in school language that is like 3 weeks from now or so it seems. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed, pray, and sub teach tomorrow and Friday hoping that they are my last days of subbing. I'll keep thinking positive thoughts and prayers for you too!! Hopefully we all can be posting a "I GOT THE JOB" post by the end of this week! Now wouldn't that be nice! :)

14. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 12, 2007

That would DEFINITELY be nice! I'm sure you did wonderful.

Hmmm, gets me thinking, maybe i should make a "waiting boat" thread... :)

Did i mention i HATE waiting?

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 12, 2007

I hope you both get the jobs that you interviewed for!

16. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Sep 13, 2007

Good luck!!!!!!! I hope you get it. It sounds like the interview went well. The waiting is the WORST part.

17. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 13, 2007

I'm so excited to be one of those people on here that gets to say "I got the job!" I still feel like I'm dreaming! It is an amazing school. The principal is fabulous and actually gave me her home phone number so that if I had questions this weekend I could call her. It is such a difference from all the other principals I have worked for. I can't believe that I found out so fast! She said they would make a decision by Friday or Monday, but it's Thursday. I'm suppose to call HR tomorrow and get the contract signs and details and hopefully start sometime next week. It's just amazing! I'm so excited to join this school and to get rid of the 5:00am substitute teacher wake up calls.

I really have to thank each and everyone of you for all your support! Also if you haven't checked out the interview book on here by axwaxler, do it!!! I looked it over a ton before this interview and it really helped!

I wish you all good luck on your continued search. I really believe there is a specific job for each of us. It just may take longer to get there then some people. Keep at it!!! That's what got me this job! Don't give up if you really have teaching as your passion! :D

18. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

CONGRATULATIONS!! YOU DESERVE IT! DON'T PINCH YOURSELF IF YOU ARE DREAMING-WHO'D WANNA GET UP FROM SUCH A GREAT DREAM??

GO PARTY! AND HAVE A COUPLE DRINKS FOR ME, OK?

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 13, 2007

teach57, you have to start a "I GOT A JOB" thread. CONGRATS on getting your new job!!!! I started last Tuesday and am still waiting on my contract, so that I can find out how much I will be making...

20. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

how's everything goin proud?

21. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

yea, i agree with the "i got a job thread". so we're not just all po'd. (but u can visit from time to time).

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 13, 2007

It's goin' okay. I am sooo tired (I think that I am getting sick) and tomorrow is picture day, so I have to get my beauty sleep:p. I will start my own thread tomorrow and let you know how my air mattress and I are enjoying my new place in our new city :D.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 13, 2007

mstemple05, you have been so encouraging to everyone looking for a job. YOU WILL GET A TEACHING JOB!

24. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

aawww, why thanks!

i actually am surprised @ myself that i can be "strong" enough to encourage others and not be depressed or in a funk. i mean, i am president of the po'd club, but not really raining on anyone's parade. just po'd @ my own situation. but it does make me feel better to be happy for you guys, that at least some good is happening and so therefore all is not lost in the world.

it also helps to know that the job that mistreated me (docking pay-which i found out was illegal, allowing others to do what i was told could not happen etc) is still looking for teachers. they had 2 spanish teachers and a student just told me they don't have one now. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. ok, ok. so i shouldn't laugh. but hey-you reap what u sow. i knew this was going to happen.

now if i was just a "bad apple", then this wouldn't be happening. so this should tell u (and them) that they actually did mistreat me. mm hmmm.

so proud, how's that second bedroom holding up? :)