Out of State Teaching Offer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by StarsofTommorow, Jun 28, 2014.

1. StarsofTommorow

StarsofTommorow Companion

Jun 28, 2014

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I have a question. I'm from the east cost and have completed over 30 teacher apps in MD, VA, PA, and a few out of state places I've wanted to live in. I have been on a few local interviews, and had two interviews with Arizona and Denver. I had a good phone interview. The principal of an Arizona school (good reviews) stated that if I was offered a teaching position, I would need to be there by July 14 (fine with me and my family to help with flight, just will move more things later).

If you had no kids, were single (just graduated college) at 24, would you accept it or take your chances and hope for a local job?????

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2014

I would and did move across the country for a job.

4. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

Thanks. So you wouldn't wait around for the possibility of another opportunity?

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2014

Me? Nope, I wouldn't wait around. Teaching jobs are hard to come by. If I weren't tied to a particular place, I'd go wherever the jobs are.

6. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

I feel the same way. I noticed it seems much harder trying to find a job in some places on the East Coast compared to the west coast.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2014

Take it and go!

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2014

I was 24 and single when I packed up and moved myself to North Carolina for a job. With experience, it took me THREE YEARS to finally get a job inside the county I grew up in.
    Honestly, my only regret was that I subbed for a while before looking out of state.

9. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Jun 28, 2014

I would take it. Read through the job search forum for awhile if you need further convincing that this would be the right choice for you. Just curious, are you licensed to teach in Arizona or are you landing interviews without having an AZ license? I'm just asking because I'm moving back to the US from overseas and might apply in Arizona if there is a chance that I could be hired before spending the money on one more license.

10. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

Wow. The thing that is difficult is that I would need to be there mid July for new teacher orientation. It is like either take it or wait for a possible opening here. I honestly wouldn't mind. How long did you teach in NC (I was thinking about applying there but prefer Arizona or Denver).

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2014

I taught in NC for 6 years. I had about two weeks between my job offer and new teacher orientation.

12. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

Thanks for the info. They have reciprocity. A lot of the tests (4 Praxis in MD) they accept in AZ. I was just able to start the application for my certifcation/license in MD in mi-June after receiving diploma/official transcriptions from the university I graduated from. Where did you teach oversees (if you did)?

13. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

Wow. Fortunately for me I have fam who can help me fly out and I can get more of my belongings after I get settled into new teacher position. How did you pay for new apartment/housing? I am going to look into moving specials soon..

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 28, 2014

I would get very excited about the opportunity, take it and run with it. i would not wait for an opportunity to arise closer to home...etc. Go where the work is, perfect opportunity.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2014

I went down for my interview, so I looked at some apartments there. These forums were also incredibly helpful for me. I made a lot of charts- distance, cost, square footage, etc...
    Luckily, I was OK financially- no credit card debt with quite a bit in savings. I worked full time since I was 17, and I had subbed nearly full time on top of my full time retail job for over a year when I moved.
    I drove down with my mom's car and just a few items- TV, laptop, lawn chair, air mattress, and some clothes. My parents drove my SUV and a UHaul trailer down a few weeks later. I didn't move everything- I put some stuff in storage and I gave away my furniture (it was 25 years old and not worth the cost of moving).

16. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Jun 28, 2014

I'm in Berlin, Germany. Yes, I teach here. FYI, it really is pretty easy to get a teaching job out here.

If you are getting interviews in Colorado and Arizona with a Maryland license, I think I'm going to try applying there, too.

I wish you all the best! You will not regret your decision to go after the job offers.

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 28, 2014

Arizona is a good place for teaching jobs right now. If you do your homework (which it seems like you have done), you will probably find if it is a good school or not. If the job doesn't turn out, there are lots more teaching jobs if you are looking in Phoenix or the Phoenix area.

I agree with what others say about taking the job and not waiting. Principals really don't like waiting for long, and if you don't act quickly you could lose your opportunity to have a teaching job this fall.

18. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 28, 2014

Sounds like a great opportunity and the start of an exciting adventure. In your shoes, I'd go.

19. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

I'd def go! Some places jobs are really hard to come by. Plus everything happens for a reason.

20. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

Thank you!

21. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

Sounds amazing!

22. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

Yeah it does!

23. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

Thanks! I mean it would buy me more time if orientation started in early August like they do here, but I always wanted to go there. So we'll see.

24. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

I definitely agree. With teaching I heard you always take the first opportunity (after checking area, school reviews, etc-you don't want to walk into a completely horrible scenario no matter what). Also, I am single with no children to I really have no obligations.

25. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2014

I took the first job offer I got because I needed a job. I left Michigan (I was going to leave anyway) to teach in Maryland.

If you need a job, take a job is always my motto. If you don't need a job, shop around.

26. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

I may just take it...

27. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Jun 28, 2014

I did something similar when I just graduated. I was offered a job on a Tuesday and had to report the following Monday. I hate to be the Debbie Downer, but moving away from family (I am assuming they are in Maryland) can be very difficult. Are you prepared to miss out on family gatherings and only see your family occasionally? As your parents get older they may not be able to come see you as often. I only say this because everyone was so excited when I got a job out of state, and I ran to accept the position. I never thought about the future. Now I am here, and while I love my life here, I miss my family terribly, even after 16 years.

I just proofread this, and it sounds terrible, but it may be something you want to consider.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose!

28. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

Yes that's what I thought about. I just don't know what my luck will be like if I don't accept it. Ya know? Plus there is webcam, holidays, et cetera. I'm trying to figure out if it's all worth it.

29. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 28, 2014

Go!

I accepted a job about 300 miles from my immediate family...it's fine. If you hate it, you can always come back.

30. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2014

Yup!

31. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 28, 2014

It is a classic dilemma, that only you can answer.

I happen to work in a great school district. There is another long-suffering woman (who I graduated with, also lingered in the business subbing like me). She had recently snapped up (presumably) the first job she was offered, to start this next school year. It is to teach in LAUSD (which is fine), but in a particularly tough area of LA.

In bumping into her and talking with her this past school year, she seemed a bit deflated to hear (from me), how opportunities/interviews were popping up in the district we were associated with... having already inked her contract with LAUSD.

Personally, at this point in the whole recession (of which I've lingered throughout), I wouldn't considering such a move unless it was a tremendous opportunity. I'm talking great pay, great school district, and great community. e.g. I would not move, if the pay was "$35k-55k" for teachers. I wouldn't move if it was in a particularly rural or urban area of the country (not my cup of tea). Nor would I leave, if the district wasn't a (much) better than average working environment (i.e. where parents respect teachers).

32. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

Agreed!

33. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 28, 2014

I have responsibilities that make moving nearly impossible, house, kids, etc., I wouldn't have been offered this job, as I wouldn't have applied for it. The OP is young, unencumbered and in a tough market. Bear in mind, here in CA we have Prop 30 money that is opening up hiring a bit. Most states are still very tough job markets.

Stars, how long do you have to decide?

34. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

Well I was just asking in terms of being offered the position in a few days. Hypothetically.

35. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

Go for it! I did this. I subbed for a year in and around my hometown. I decided I didn't want to do a second year doing that so I moved from Ohio to South Carolina. It was a great opportunity. Although I was looking it did come together very quickly. I interviewed when I was on vacation in the Carolina's and by the time I got back to Ohio I only had a little over a week to move. It was a great move for me though. As others have said, if you don't like it don't stay more than a year. Good luck with your decision!

36. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Jun 28, 2014

When I was 22 I moved 9 hours from home for a teaching job. My boyfriend came with me. After 4 years we moved back to our hometown (then married +1 child.) We both had a really hard time finding employment. The year we moved back the county I moved to laid off 10 teachers. I had to be a case manager for a behavioral heath facility, and he was working at the cable company on commission. We only stayed 2 years, and it was honestly the worst 2 years of my life. We lived across the street from my parents, which was really nice, but we had no money and struggled a lot. We eventually came back to the town we originally moved to, and continued working for the same places that we previously worked. We have been down here 4 years again, and have never regretted it.

So, I'd say go for it, make a life for yourself in your new town, and never look back!:woot:

37. StarsofTommorow

Jun 28, 2014

I loved your story. Thanks for sharing. I will have to keep everybody posted.

38. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 29, 2014

Just sharing...
    I moved a little over an hour north from my parents for my first teaching job- I knew no one, didn't know the area at all, although thankfully my sister moved with me. I thought I'd be desperate to see my parents because I love my family and I knew I could go down there every weekend if need be.

The reality: my sister and I got out there and explored, learned the area, loved all the stores in the area, I got to meet new people at my job, and I didn't really need to see my parents that much- we have e-mail, the phone, Facebook. It was totally okay! (We only see each other may be 5 times throughout the year but talk on the phone weekly and interact on Facebook)

My parents are now talking about moving 13+ hours away for retirement purposes and that concerns me (what if there's a health emergency???) but I know this: I can always contact them and if the need arises I can get myself on a plane to see them. It will be fine- I love where I'm teaching, my husband and I are renting a wonderful apartment, and I'm content. :)

39. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jun 29, 2014

If it were me, I'd think long and hard about making such a move. There are a lot of things to consider. How is the job market in the state you're living in now? How long have you been looking? How do you feel about leaving behind your family and friends? Do you plan on getting married and/or starting a family in the next few years? It can be tough with no support network. What about your SO? How des he feel about moving and what would he do for a job?

40. StarsofTommorow

Jun 29, 2014

I'm single. Not against dating and marrying in a few years though. I have been thinking about it. Since I graduated in May. Scored 4-5 interviews with no offers yet. Also, some of the in-state counties I applied to back in May still haven't even responded about my job app. I'd rather move than sub (waste of time in my opinion) or be a teacher's aid. I feel like it's almost July. I don't want to be one of those "two day before last minute teachers".

41. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 29, 2014

I moved two hours away from my family for my first job. I made friends but I missed home a lot. After a year I got a job where my BF is (still two hours from my parents). I still miss my parents a lot but BF and I did long distance for five years. Now we're two years in the same city and it's awesome! I see my mom a few times a month when she travels for work. I see my dad less. I talk to both pretty much daily though!